• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 SlimXero

SlimXero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Its a lot to think about. Probably going to have to end up shipping it off. doesn't seem to be anybody local who's not going to stick the shit in their oven...

#17 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(SlimXero @ May 14 2012, 03:21 PM) View Post

Its a lot to think about. Probably going to have to end up shipping it off. doesn't seem to be anybody local who's not going to stick the shit in their oven...

Haha yeah, oven reflows can work if a professional does it. They even have "reflow ovens" that are made for this specific purpose. They usually are not used when electrolytic capacitors are on the board because their max temperature is well below the temperature needed for the reflow, so it's dangerous.

#18 SlimXero

SlimXero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

I'm gonna end up setting up my own reflow/reball station and doing it myself. since there isn't anybody in this area who isn't insanely expensive or just plain insane. Watched some youtube videos and while i know it's not as simple as watching a video, there are plenty of rrod xbox's around here for me to practice on, i think i'm going to do it myself. plus it's a skill that isn't xbox specific, so it's worth it to learn.

#19 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE(SlimXero @ May 14 2012, 06:50 PM) View Post

I'm gonna end up setting up my own reflow/reball station and doing it myself. since there isn't anybody in this area who isn't insanely expensive or just plain insane. Watched some youtube videos and while i know it's not as simple as watching a video, there are plenty of rrod xbox's around here for me to practice on, i think i'm going to do it myself. plus it's a skill that isn't xbox specific, so it's worth it to learn.

I advise you not to reflow with a heatgun. That is the "trick" spreading all over youtube right now and frankly it is just plain dumb in my opinion (and I'm not just saying that as someone who's never tried it, trust me, I've reflowed my fair share of Xbox's back in the day with a heatgun before I had a reworking station).

I've had capacitors explode, the local thermal expansion warped boards, melted buttons and other things, and worst of all was when a RAM chip exploded off the board and hit me in the face with hot solder on it. Fun stuff.

If you're going to be reflowing more than one Xbox, I recommend getting a low end SMD temperature controller reworking station at the very least. Make sure you use a preheater or at the very least, a presto griddle. Also flux is a requirement for a long lasting reflow. And thermocouples to monitor temps (too low of a temp, not a long reflow, too high and you'll get bridged solder). A brace to hold the board so it doesn't flex. And last of all the nozzle made for the Xbox GPU to use with the reworking station (4141 size).

I know you said everyone around you is expensive, but I did say I would do it for you for 20 bucks. I can knock that down to 15 if you want and shipping is usually 20 bucks round trip no matter where you are in the country. I'd much rather reflow your board for next to nothing than you be stuck with a board that had a quick fix attempted on it that will be irreparable when it breaks again.

Good luck and if you do insist on doing it yourself, head over to xbox-experts and look at their reflow tutorials. They will be able to help you much more than a random kid on youtube.

#20 SlimXero

SlimXero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

i plan on purchasing an aoyue 968a+ as seen here:. And no, i've read around and i agree, ovens and heat guns are bad ideas. I've seen the presto's recommended pretty much everywhere, but it's nice to see someone whom i can actually talk to recommend it as well. I've been reading about it for a few days now and watching videos and reading around the board.

My only question is this: i've seen the stencils going on ebay for as cheap as 11 bucks for all 6 360 stencils and 3 ps3 stencils. But in the videos, there's always a metal block that the chip is set in to stabiliize it and align it with the stencil...but as far as i've seen none of these stencils advertise themselves as coming with that block. Am i missing something or do i need to buy that seperately? because if i put the money into this, i'm going to learn to reball as well as reflow.

#21 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE(SlimXero @ May 14 2012, 07:16 PM) View Post

i plan on purchasing an aoyue 968a+ as seen here:. And no, i've read around and i agree, ovens and heat guns are bad ideas. I've seen the presto's recommended pretty much everywhere, but it's nice to see someone whom i can actually talk to recommend it as well. I've been reading about it for a few days now and watching videos and reading around the board.

My only question is this: i've seen the stencils going on ebay for as cheap as 11 bucks for all 6 360 stencils and 3 ps3 stencils. But in the videos, there's always a metal block that the chip is set in to stabiliize it and align it with the stencil...but as far as i've seen none of these stencils advertise themselves as coming with that block. Am i missing something or do i need to buy that seperately? because if i put the money into this, i'm going to learn to reball as well as reflow.

The block is called a "reballing station" or more commonly a "reballing jig." You can look on ebay for them, and they are quite a bit more money for the whole thing than just the stencils. I think you're looking at 80-100 bucks for just one, and You really should have two (80mm and 90mm) if you want to be reballing all the chips on the 360.

Yes the 968 should do great for you, just be sure to get at least the 4141 nozzle. That's just for the GPU.

I have a post here there sort of details my own reflowing process if you want to look:

http://www.se7ensins...3/#post-5235991

#22 SlimXero

SlimXero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(canyonnehastings @ May 14 2012, 07:21 PM) View Post

The block is called a "reballing station" or more commonly a "reballing jig." You can look on ebay for them, and they are quite a bit more money for the whole thing than just the stencils. I think you're looking at 80-100 bucks for just one, and You really should have two (80mm and 90mm) if you want to be reballing all the chips on the 360.

Yes the 968 should do great for you, just be sure to get at least the 4141 nozzle. That's just for the GPU.

I have a post here there sort of details my own reflowing process if you want to look:

http://www.se7ensins...3/#post-5235991

Many thanks again for all the info, and i'm going to read that now, thanks smile.gif

I know you usually get what you pay for, but i couldn't help being shocked by the low price of this. I wonder if it will work for what i need.

#23 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE(SlimXero @ May 14 2012, 07:35 PM) View Post

Many thanks again for all the info, and i'm going to read that now, thanks smile.gif

I know you usually get what you pay for, but i couldn't help being shocked by the low price of this. I wonder if it will work for what i need.

The price of that changes when you select different things from the drop down menus. All together, my initial estimate is still pretty much right on that if you get all the materials. Just the reball jig with nothing is like 41 bucks on there if you select it from the drop down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users