• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 atariangamer

atariangamer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:14 AM

I've noticed some things that say if you can compile a project on Windows with DirectX, then you can compile it on Xbox with DirectX.

I've got some old code bits that I know compile correctly on Windows, but Xbox is of course another story.

I'm not to hot on coding just yet: I've got only 7 months of C++ experience total (and mostly in simple stuff, no 3d programming), but I'm pretty decent at just plodding through files and looking for things and fixing references and what not. I'm hoping to get a bit better at C++ and maybe into some DirectX, but messing around with older small projects, and attempting their conversion would be cool to fiddle with.

I've got one Softmodded Xbox with an upgraded HDD that I'm going to leave alone (its in the best condition physically), and I've got another softmodded with only the stock HDD that I'm thinking of using one of the XDK conversion tutorials (with PBL, not actual chip stuff) to do my testing on.

So, if I've got one 'dev' Xbox, a 'retail' Xbox, a DirectX program project that compiles in Visual Studio.Net/VC++6, and get it all linked up correctly...(and noting I have very little advanced C++ experience)

What should I be looking for modifying to get it to run correctly on an Xbox?

#2 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

If you have code that already builds on Windows the most important things to know are

1) No OpenGL
2) No DirectX9+
3) No DirectDraw

Also, there are some API differences here and there. Sometimes looking in the XDK folders (examples/includes/libs) can be very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users