6 replies to this topic

#1 drvsbsm

drvsbsm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

I have never updated my Xbox before at all it came like this when I bought it modded. I really want to be able to backup all of these newer games.

I have all the information for the Xbox the keys for CPU and DVD for it. Right now I have it running with no DVD drive because I put a fan there to keep it cool and it stays really nice and cool since I took DVD drive out, I don't use it anyways, I use external HDD. I did do a search but it just confused me more than helped me with all the contradicting information I read about upgrading. I just want to upgrade to the newest from my old version I have now (2.0.12611.0). I know it fairly easy on a JTag, but I have not done a lot of modding 360s, but I been around for awhile modding Xbox1 back in the day and PS3 in every way possible. Just not to up to date with 360s.

Here is some info that might help better answer my question.
XBOX Falcon
No DVD Drive
Software 2.0.12611.0
Dashlaunch older version

If you need any other info that would be beneficial please let me know.

I'm looking for the safest easiest way to do this upgrade to the newest software so I can back my games up on my External Hard Drive. If I remember right I have to extract the Nand and work with it, Ive did this before extracted two nands and compared them and they was not the same as each other when compared which stopped me back then from trying to flash the 360, because I didn't want to flash a bad nand. That was about a year ago so my 360 has been the same every since. I'm sure there are newer tolls out though that will help me with these issues. I just don't know how. If anyone can send me to a good tutorial or link on how to get this done i would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance any help would be great I need to move into the future.

#2 hardrock351w

hardrock351w

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Grab yourself "Flash360",.....run it and make a backup of your nand.
Make a copy of that and save it somewhere safe.
Then take the other and run it through bestpig's freeboot toolbox.
Now take the new image and flash it with flash360.
As for dashlaunch, just download the latest to a usb stick, and install it with xex-menu or freestyle

#3 drvsbsm

drvsbsm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

I was looking for the thanks button but I remembered that on xbox-scene doesn't have a thanks button. I really appreciate the help and the advice you gave on how to do with this upgrade. The last time I was going to do this I was told to get 2 nand dumps and compare them, should I do this?

That is why I didn't update last time because it said I had bad blocks and the dumps didn't match. So I didn't want to brick my Xbox going forward with the upgrade. I was also read that I had to add the official MS Update somewhere on the drive to do an upgrade?

Like I said I was more confused than anything after reading different ways. What you just told me to do is pretty strait forward but is it that simple - just do what you said in that order and I will be upgraded?

Once again thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

#4 hardrock351w

hardrock351w

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

You can compare them if ya want,....I doubt flash360 will produce a bad read.
Flash360 will automaticly re-map bad blocks,....so your good there.
This is the process I've always used,....it's that simple.

After your updated, you may need to run the Microsoft update(same one you just updated to) only if your avatars are missing.(shadows)
Check to see if you need to or not BEFORE you run Dashlaunch, as dashlaunch can be set to block updates from Microsoft.

Let us know how it went.
Good luck!!

*edit
So this is how it should be done:

Check to see if avatars are there,...if not update with microsoft.....once they are there, proceed to dashlaunch.
As for dashlaunch, just download the latest to a usb stick, and install it with xex-menu or freestyle

Edited by hardrock351w, 18 May 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#5 drvsbsm

drvsbsm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Thanks again for the help I forgot to mention that I already have dash launch and I have been using freestyle dash for the past year, so everything is about a year old. Whenever 2.0.12611.0 came out was my units last update. I think it was freestyle 2.1 the first one where you could get cover art over the connection. I did the freestyle upgrades myself but I never did the MS dash upgrades because at that time dash launch and freestyle played the newer games anyways. I think it spoofed the system into thinking it was on a newer dash at that time? Like I said its been about a year. I haven't had time to flash it yet but I will this week sometime, I've been busy with final exams. I just wanted to get everything in order because I wanted to get it done on summer break. I will do what you said,

Check to see if avatars are there,...if not update with microsoft.....once they are there, proceed to dashlaunch.
[i]

I thought that if you had a Jtag and did an official ms dash update you would blow the fuse or something and lose jtag, or brick the 360?

#6 insanity4all

insanity4all

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE(drvsbsm @ May 19 2012, 11:27 AM) View Post

I thought that if you had a Jtag and did an official ms dash update you would blow the fuse or something and lose jtag, or brick the 360?

As long as your dashboard kernel is = to the MS update being applied, it'll only install missing files. I.E. Avatar info, kinect crap, etc...
You are correct if you apply an update with a higher kernel than the present dashboard.

#7 drvsbsm

drvsbsm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

I see, thanks for clearing that up, that is one part that had me confused.

Thanks for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users