Photo

Problem Replacing Bad Phat Liteon Drive.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vastine

Vastine

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

So I have an phat xbox with a liteon drive that the laser was not reading the disc all the time, so I went on eBay got a new laser, took the antistatic solder ball off, installed said laser and at that time it would only make a buzz sound after the tray closed like it was trying to read but could not. The new laser would keep making the sound until I turned off the Xbox. Also the screen turned black like it was going to read the disc. So I took it out put the old laser back in and it worked just fine. So I thought ok I got a bad one, so this time I go to eBay get a used drive. Got it last night, updated the firmware with the info that goes to this Xbox and this drive does the same as the laser did, but it only makes the buzzing sound once after the tray is closed. Am I missing anything? I checked to see if there was a antistatic solder on the drive and there was not. Tested this drive on 2 xbox same for both. Am I just having bad luck with the drives? Thanks for any and all help.

#2 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE(Vastine @ May 17 2012, 09:43 PM) View Post

So I have an phat xbox with a liteon drive that the laser was not reading the disc all the time, so I went on eBay got a new laser, took the antistatic solder ball off, installed said laser and at that time it would only make a buzz sound after the tray closed like it was trying to read but could not. The new laser would keep making the sound until I turned off the Xbox. Also the screen turned black like it was going to read the disc. So I took it out put the old laser back in and it worked just fine. So I thought ok I got a bad one, so this time I go to eBay get a used drive. Got it last night, updated the firmware with the info that goes to this Xbox and this drive does the same as the laser did, but it only makes the buzzing sound once after the tray is closed. Am I missing anything? I checked to see if there was a antistatic solder on the drive and there was not. Tested this drive on 2 xbox same for both. Am I just having bad luck with the drives? Thanks for any and all help.

When you tested that new drive on two other Xbox's, did you flash the keys for those Xbox's or just plug it in with the same firmware it had before? By the way, that buzzing sound is normal for liteons. It's just the spindle motor starting up when the tray is closed. Now I doub't it's possible for it to happen twice in a row (with your new laser AND your new drive) but a lot of times lasers are shipped from the factory with the wrong pot setting. You can look up pot tweaking for liteons and give it a try. I'd try it out on your old laser and drive first since you hav less to lose with those. Make sure to use a multimeter!

#3 Vastine

Vastine

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

yeah, flashed the key every time. I e-mailed the guy I got the new drive from and he said was reading dvds befor he shipped it. Not sure how true it is but still. Ill check the pot setting see what it reads.

#4 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE(Vastine @ May 19 2012, 12:43 AM) View Post

yeah, flashed the key every time. I e-mailed the guy I got the new drive from and he said was reading dvds befor he shipped it. Not sure how true it is but still. Ill check the pot setting see what it reads.

It might even just have a bad flash of ixtreme or something, but definitely sounds mismatched to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users