• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Xbatpeople

Xbatpeople

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

I purchased a modded Xbox from a used game store and I am enjoying installing emulators/ROMs and homebrew games. I am starting to run out of HDD space and was looking into ways of increasing that. I am guessing an important part of the process would be knowing what kind of mod has been done. What should I look for to tell if it was softmodded or mod chipped? And if it was chipped, how can I tell which one?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

When the Xbox boots is the flubber the same colour as on a stock Xbox?

Is there any text displayed while the Xbox is booting, or are there any non-standard logos on the screen?

Is the LED green, or does it change colour?

If it is chipped you can sometimes tell which one by the presence of external switch banks, but otherwise the only certain way to find out which one is to open up the Xbox and compare it with these tables.
http://www.xbox-scen...hips4_table.htm
http://www.xbox-scen...ips3b_table.htm

#3 wargod

wargod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Is my enigma 19 wire chip that ancient that it's not even pictured in either of those 2 links? biggrin.gif

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

It will be in one of the links from this page, under "Older/Discontinued Xbox Modchips". smile.gif

#5 Xbatpeople

Xbatpeople

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 21 2012, 06:06 AM) View Post

When the Xbox boots is the flubber the same colour as on a stock Xbox?

It is the same colour as the Xbox jewel.

Is there any text displayed while the Xbox is booting, or are there any non-standard logos on the screen?

The trademark Xbox/Microsoft then UnleashedX before the unleashed dashboard.

Is the LED green, or does it change colour?

It is green now but it can and has been changed. I found options to change the colour.

If it is chipped you can sometimes tell which one by the presence of external switch banks, but otherwise the only certain way to find out which one is to open up the Xbox and compare it with these tables.

I have not found any external switch banks.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

UnleashX, not UnleashedX.

What colour was the LED before you changed it? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Heimdall, 23 May 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#7 Xbatpeople

Xbatpeople

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 23 2012, 04:32 AM) View Post

UnleashX, not UnleashedX.

Right. Don't know why I keep doing that. uhh.gif

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 23 2012, 04:32 AM) View Post

What colour was the LED before you changed it? rolleyes.gif

I think it was red. I have no idea if the last owner changed it tho.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

It sounds as though your Xbox might be softmodded, but you need to do a bit more checking to be certain. Get hold of HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc, burn it to DVD-R at 4x or slower). Cold boot with it, the Xbox will boot, the LED turns red, 40 seconds later the menu will appear. Use the file manager (under Xbox Admin) to have a look at the C partition, and post a list of the files and directories in the root of the C partition.

#9 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,995 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 26 2012, 02:57 PM) View Post

It sounds as though your Xbox might be softmodded, but you need to do a bit more checking to be certain. Get hold of HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc, burn it to DVD-R at 4x or slower). Cold boot with it, the Xbox will boot, the LED turns red, 40 seconds later the menu will appear. Use the file manager (under Xbox Admin) to have a look at the C partition, and post a list of the files and directories in the root of the C partition.

It could also be TSOPed. Xbatpeople have you actually tried to open it to see if there is an actual chip in there? If so take a photo and upload it but I would get someone else to do it if you don't know what you are doing.

#10 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

Are the stickers on the bottom of the xbox (that cover the screws) broken? No? Good bet it is a softmod. If they are broken, it improves the chances that it is a hardmod, but could still be a softmod. Look at the files on C like Heimdall said.

QUOTE(Xbatpeople @ May 21 2012, 01:11 AM) View Post

I purchased a modded Xbox from a used game store

Most stores will only deal with sealed units...would indicate softmod.

Edited by Movax, 27 May 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#11 Xbatpeople

Xbatpeople

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ May 26 2012, 09:57 AM) View Post

Saw your engineering disc mentioned in another thread and was going to download it.
Is Demonoid a safe place to download it?

It could also be TSOPed. Xbatpeople have you actually tried to open it to see if there is an actual chip in there? If so take a photo and upload it but I would get someone else to do it if you don't know what you are doing.

I have an unmodified Xbox that went black screen coma on me that I have taken apart. So I am familiar with the innards, but I was hoping to find out which mod without opening it. If I have to open it then I guess I will.

Most stores will only deal with sealed units...would indicate softmod..

No help there. This store owner proudly states that he opens and fixes them all the time. He opened and fixed the drawer on the one I bought because it was the last modded one he had in stock.

#12 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Can you FTP into the Xbox and get a list of the C drive files? Look on E:\Dashboard. That is a relatively safe bet that it is a softmod.

Other than that, look under the DVD drive for a mod chip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users