Photo

Switching A Motor From Benq To Lite On ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

So - Benq and Lite On are the same company, yes ? ... or one is the conglomerate of the other ??

Well - their inner parts in the dvd drives are nearly the same. The big exception being the Logic board.

OK - the Benq has a spindle motor with 3 wires (guessing two positive feeds of DC voltage and one common)

Now the Lite On has nearly the same spindle motor. It uses a flat cable ribbon. Looks to be a 4 wire run. Does this motor use all 4 leads? Or is one un-used - sort of a false lead.?

And how to go about changing these motors from Benq to Lite On - and vice verse ?

Soldering is not a problem for me. Lots of experience. So changing wires and ribbons - not a problem

#2 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ May 23 2012, 10:21 PM) View Post

So - Benq and Lite On are the same company, yes ? ... or one is the conglomerate of the other ??

Well - their inner parts in the dvd drives are nearly the same. The big exception being the Logic board.

OK - the Benq has a spindle motor with 3 wires (guessing two positive feeds of DC voltage and one common)

Now the Lite On has nearly the same spindle motor. It uses a flat cable ribbon. Looks to be a 4 wire run. Does this motor use all 4 leads? Or is one un-used - sort of a false lead.?

And how to go about changing these motors from Benq to Lite On - and vice verse ?

Soldering is not a problem for me. Lots of experience. So changing wires and ribbons - not a problem

Hey, I did look at this and do some research, but came up sort of empty handed =/

I don't know much about motors or anything at all, but my only idea would be that the benq has two positives and a shared ground, while the liteon has 2 positives and two separate grounds for each direction the motor can spin (clockwise and counter-clockwise).

Sort of how microsoft transitioned from the 4 pin fan to the 3 pin, and the only difference is that the two fans share a ground in the 3 pin and had separate grounds in the 4 pin.

Like I said, I am still fairly new to things like this. I did read in many places that people DID successfully swap spindles between these two drives, but no one enlightened on how they actually did it. And I could not find a pinout of either of the drive pcbs.

EDIT: You could always use a multimeter to check the voltages of all the pins couldn't you? Maybe use an old liteon spindle ribbon cable and cut it so you could test the traces on it.

Edited by canyonnehastings, 26 May 2012 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users