• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TheGMan91

TheGMan91

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

I have a Xbox 360 S 4GB model. The Man. date is 2010-06-27, Model: 1439. I Need a dvd drive replacement but don't know exactly which one to get? I don't have the time right now to open up the Xbox but should next week (That is why I'm trying to order the replacement now, I only have a day or two next week where I can do the repair). Any help is appreciated AND I am sorry if this question has been asked before, which I am sure it has.

#2 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE(TheGMan91 @ May 25 2012, 06:01 PM) View Post

I have a Xbox 360 S 4GB model. The Man. date is 2010-06-27, Model: 1439. I Need a dvd drive replacement but don't know exactly which one to get? I don't have the time right now to open up the Xbox but should next week (That is why I'm trying to order the replacement now, I only have a day or two next week where I can do the repair). Any help is appreciated AND I am sorry if this question has been asked before, which I am sure it has.

LiteOn DG-16D4S

Can I ask what's wrong where you'd have to replace the whole drive?

#3 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Canyonne is right ... much more affordable to service or replace a specific part

You could have a very simple problem that you are planning to overspend on

Cleaning the grime out of a DVD player can do alot for it. Then alcohol swab the lens. And find out how to adjust the POT on the optic. It may not even need that part done.

Check on the worm gear for the optic. Seen that a couple of times. So much build up in the worm gear the optic cant move when it needs to.

Talk to one of us before you buy that whole replacement drive

#4 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ May 26 2012, 04:48 AM) View Post

Canyonne is right ... much more affordable to service or replace a specific part

You could have a very simple problem that you are planning to overspend on

Cleaning the grime out of a DVD player can do alot for it. Then alcohol swab the lens. And find out how to adjust the POT on the optic. It may not even need that part done.

Check on the worm gear for the optic. Seen that a couple of times. So much build up in the worm gear the optic cant move when it needs to.

Talk to one of us before you buy that whole replacement drive

Yes, not to mention those Slim drives cost significantly more than a "phat" equivalent. The whole drive will run him around 60 bucks, and that's not even considering shipping if the seller doesn't incorporate it into the price.

#5 TheGMan91

TheGMan91

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

I've replaced many Phat dvd drives, repaired many xbox's in my time lol. My drive is really loud when loading games, sometimes it won't load at all. Its not your typical "grinding" noise but more of a loud screeching. I haven't got around to actually taking it apart, most I've done is just blown out the dvd drive with canned air. I know the S drives are much more expensive, but I rather have a backup just in case I cant fix mine. I have had good luck with the POT but also some terrible experiences.

Edited by TheGMan91, 26 May 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#6 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(TheGMan91 @ May 26 2012, 03:30 PM) View Post

I've replaced many Phat dvd drives, repaired many xbox's in my time lol. My drive is really loud when loading games, sometimes it won't load at all. Its not your typical "grinding" noise but more of a loud screeching. I haven't got around to actually taking it apart, most I've done is just blown out the dvd drive with canned air. I know the S drives are much more expensive, but I rather have a backup just in case I cant fix mine. I have had good luck with the POT but also some terrible experiences.

That sure sounds like an easy fix. Just open that bad boy up and make sure all the moving parts are intact. I would not expect you to need to adjust the POT in a slim because it hasn't been out long enough for the laser to wear that much. Although I can't be sure without actually seeing it, id say that dust got in there and the laser is riding on dusty rails, and/or the worm gear that moves the laser is clogged with dust. The sound you are referring to is a sound I've had with phat drives when the laser is riding on unlubricated rails. So I think a simple cleaning of everything, and relubrication will fix your problem. And you're right, backup drives are nice, but I really don't anticipate you ever needing one, at least not until the new Xbox comes out in a year or two.

Also look for dust in places you wouldn't expect because blowing the air in it without it being opened would have loosened dust, but also made it gather in random spots around the drive. Just depends how much is in there.

Good luck!

#7 TheGMan91

TheGMan91

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Opened it up, cleaned the rails. Put it back together and the noise is still there. I have taken a video and I'll upload for you guys to hear.

Edited by TheGMan91, 26 May 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#8 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(TheGMan91 @ May 26 2012, 04:48 PM) View Post

Opened it up, cleaned the rails. Put it back together and the noise is still there. I have taken a video and I'll upload for you guys to hear.

But did you lubricate the rails?

#9 TheGMan91

TheGMan91

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

What can I use to lube it up? No pun intended.

#10 aarones

aarones

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

You could have a very simple problem that you are planning to overspend onIPB Image

#11 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(TheGMan91 @ May 27 2012, 02:27 AM) View Post

What can I use to lube it up? No pun intended.

Maybe a non conductive oil based lubricant. I use pneumatic tool lubricant, but I'm not sure if this would be bad in the long run. Hasn't failed me yet and works great.

#12 TheGMan91

TheGMan91

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(canyonnehastings @ May 28 2012, 02:08 PM) View Post

Maybe a non conductive oil based lubricant. I use pneumatic tool lubricant, but I'm not sure if this would be bad in the long run. Hasn't failed me yet and works great.

Tried 3 in 1 and WD-40 in a stick, both made the problem worse. Now it won't load discs at all. I am just going to buy a replacement drive and quit messing with it. So its a 9054 for sure? where is the best place to pick one up? I also noticed that there is FW 9504 and HW 9504, are these the same drives? since i will be swapping pcm's from the original drive to the replacement does this even matter?

I appreciate your help in trying to solve the problem, I am the kind of person (which I have learned from experience) Not to buy parts "trying" to solve the problem when you can just replace the whole thing and maybe save money down the road.

Edited by TheGMan91, 28 May 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#13 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(TheGMan91 @ May 28 2012, 05:10 PM) View Post

Tried 3 in 1 and WD-40 in a stick, both made the problem worse. Now it won't load discs at all. I am just going to buy a replacement drive and quit messing with it. So its a 9054 for sure? where is the best place to pick one up? I also noticed that there is FW 9504 and HW 9504, are these the same drives? since i will be swapping pcm's from the original drive to the replacement does this even matter?

I appreciate your help in trying to solve the problem, I am the kind of person (which I have learned from experience) Not to buy parts "trying" to solve the problem when you can just replace the whole thing and maybe save money down the road.

Just look at your drive lid and it will tell you your hardware version. You only need to worry about the hardware, and not the FW versions.

Your drive is probably a DG-16D4S

But it could be a DG-16D5S or a Hitachi, so just look to make sure. When you get your new drive you have to swap the PCBs, which may require soldering, im not entirely sure on the slim drives.

#14 TheGMan91

TheGMan91

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE(canyonnehastings @ May 28 2012, 05:12 PM) View Post

Just look at your drive lid and it will tell you your hardware version. You only need to worry about the hardware, and not the FW versions.

Your drive is probably a DG-16D4S

But it could be a DG-16D5S or a Hitachi, so just look to make sure. When you get your new drive you have to swap the PCBs, which may require soldering, im not entirely sure on the slim drives.

I've done PCB swaps, Rather do that than flashing ( I have no idea how to flash ). lot # is 1027x, doing some searching yielded a 9504 DG-16D4S

Edited by TheGMan91, 29 May 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#15 deilzfcjk

deilzfcjk

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:chicks, fixing my car and computers, working on websites, relaxing.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

i have a slim drive for sale. 9504 in good condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users