#1 Trooper2821438

Trooper2821438

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hey guys,

Im sure this has been answered many a time, but I am rather confused, and would like someone to point me in the right direction. Up until now whenever I have flashed a drive, I have had my xecuter Blaster 360 or whatever its called, but now its starting to give out a little, and the full functionality isnt there. When I try to put it over to the "cflashing mode" it is still booting up and not going blank like it should. The only option I had was to pull the A/V cables out the back, so that I would get a blank screen and some red rings. This gave me a window each time I tested it of about 4 mins, and I got the thing flashed.

My question is this... In the future when I want to re flash the drive again, should I leave the A/V cable in the rear, and unplug from my computer? does this give more time to play with? Or what is the go with the Molex power supply. Say I wanted to take my drive out, and power it externally, how do I do that?? I see there is stuff written about 4 pin molex power supply, but the connection doesnt look anything like the power supply inlet on the DVD drive. Am I missing something monumental??

As I said, I just want to power the DVD drive externally without using the blaster

Thanks for your help smile.gif

#2 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

If you're using your Xbox 360 to power the drive, then you must leave the A/V cable plugged in or else the 360 will error out. I strongly suggest not using the 360 to power your drive.

Get a connectivity kit of some type (maximus extractor or CK3 or such) and use a PC power connector or if you're using a laptop get a molex power supply (which is a unit you plug into the wall or is battery powered) and it provides a 4 pin power connector. Look on ebay they have a lot of them.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item53dbd3a6eb

#3 Trooper2821438

Trooper2821438

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hey,

Thanks for your reply mate. I have just bought a 5.25 inch external DVD casing for my IHAS burner, and I think I could use it to power the XBOX Samsung drive whilst flashing it in the future.. That wikll work wont it? To be honest, and I dont want to sound stupid.. But i still do not see how that 4 pin thing will power the XBOX drive.. The power input at the back of the drive looks like it has 8-10 pins (I dont have it in front of me.. ) how do you get the 4 pin molex to hook up to it.. I know this is noob stuff, but I am very confused sad.gif

Thanks for any help smile.gif

Cheers,

Tpr Ford

#4 Technitian3

Technitian3

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:alchemy, metallurgy, philosophy
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

The molex 4-pin goes to the connectivity kit, kit plugs into disc drive.

#5 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

What he said! It plugs into whatever connectivity kit you get.

The ihas liteon drive if I remember correctly is sata. So you'll need to get a molex to sata power adapter. They're really inexpensive on ebay.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a1e2cbd0a

You only need that if you want to power the external ihas drive. Make sure you get the right gender for your molex power source. If it has female then the one I listed above will work since it's male.

That one is in China. If you're in a hurry for a dollar or two more you can find one in USA.

Good luck!

#6 Trooper2821438

Trooper2821438

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

LOL this is getting even more complicated than I thought it would tongue.gif I will explain what the situation is:

I havenet had a connectivityKit.. Just a 360 Blaster ck3. I bought it because i didnt like the idea of having to rip my box open each time I wanted to update my firmware... Hadnt had any trouble with it at all, and updated to the latest samsung ixtreme firmware for the xgd3 update, and all was well... But something happened to the blaster, and it no longer functions as it should, and I am not getting a blank screen when I switch it over to "PC Mode"... So when I had to fix my DVD drive, I had to flash it with the A/V disconnected so that I could at least make it go blank. It isnt a good option, as it only stays on for about 5 mins as discussed on here before. Mad dash to get the drive read and then flashed. I am using the x360 usb pro to flash the drive, this is the only way I know how to flash the drive.. So this is the way I get Data side of connectivity.. But i dont know how to get power to the drive unless I use the Blaster.. I know you guys are saying "use molex", but the connector art the back for power doesnt look ANYTHING like a molex 4 pin male/female socket...

I have bought an IHAS drive and i am using it externally in a 5.25" casing, and it works perfectly with my laptop. I am even getting good burns of my images! I was having trouble with the xgd3 disks, but really, you need to play around with the settings until you get good copies.. I did waste 4 discs trying other peoples methods and settings.. basically I just went back to default settings, and only changed the settings with that button down the bottom right of imageburn and enabled a few of the Lite-on features.

So basically the external casing has sata power/sata data which i am using for my IHAS drive.. Powered by AC, and plugs in to laptop via USB, heres the link for it:::

http://www.ebay.com....=item2c5408afd0

really good pickup.. I have seen them for upward of $100 Australian here in country, so i think it is a really decent price.. It also came with a female 4 pin connector,and another ribbon for 3.5" hard drives i can only imagine.. I just do NOT understand how this 4 pin molex hooks up to the rear of the XBOX's Samsung drive.. on the rear of the samsung drive, there is the sata data (I guess male) connection, and a power inlet for im guessing molex.. It is a male connector, and the stock xbox lead is a female lead with a 10 pin white connector.. Oh its all to confusing.. I am sorry...

lol what a hopeless case

So

#7 barloue

barloue

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

if im understanding correctly what people are saying is that you need to get a connector kit ck3 or similar. It looks like you will be able to use the enclosure you have to power the connector kit (with the 4 pin molex attached) and possible the sata part too. to do this though you will need to take your xbox apart to remove the drive and plug it straight into the connector kit that you buy. most come with a cable to power the xbox drive (12 pin cable from connector to xbox drive)

although im not 100% up to scratch about using a laptop to do it as i use my pc which has the connector kit built into one of the dvd drive bays so i just plug in the xbox drive and away i go

unfortunately i have never had the occasion to use blaster kits so i cant help you with that one sad.gif

hope this clears it up a bit for you

Edited by barloue, 01 June 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#8 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

If your ck3 isn't working then you need another. Then use the molex thing to power it (it should do the large 4pin connector to the small one needed for the xbox dvd drive). That and being able to switch it on and off is what the connectivity kit is for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users