30 replies to this topic

#1 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

I ordered a CoolRunner and got the Rev B. I already had a Nand-X from all the JTAG's I've done in the past. This is my first RGH. I thought that I had researched the project properly but I quickly learned that I had not.

I had to order the nand-x to coolrunner cable so I could update the coolrunner. After getting that I learned that my Nand-X was outdated and needed to be updated as well so I had to oder the Nand-X USB update cable and update that.

After getting all the right cables and looking at several different wiring diagrams I finished the project using jrunner only to discover that my Zephyr won't boot after flashing the ECC and turning the Coolrunner to NOR. The green light flashes but nothing comes up on the screen.

I've done lots more reading since then and now I'm really confused. I've also double checked all my soldering to make certain they are all solid. I've read that you need to perform some kind of hardware hack to the Coolrunner and then jump the cap point? I've also read that you NEVER jump the cap point. So what do I really need to do in order to use my Coolrunner Rev B with my Zephyr CB 4575 and use the RGH 2.0?

Thanks for you help.

#2 Dicko316

Dicko316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Right I'm presuming you have 2 to 3 good matching dumps of your nand.

To restore to stock nand follow my instructions in point 5)

1) Use good quality solder, flux and a good iron.

2) Then prep the board add flux to each point and add a bit of solder, Then prep the coolrunner, add flux to the pads (all except A) then add solder to those pads too, remove capacitor C15, then Dont bridge CAP, also add a 10ohm resistor to point D.

3) Put the coolrunner onto the top of the video port, then solder the wires that are on grid J2B1, then wire these to the coolrunner, VCC can go on point 7 or 8, 7 is standby power so its always on even when xbox is off, but some peeps say using point 8 which is switched power, so it only powers when Xbox is on works better, try both, and see what works best. Soler on the GRND wire too, add soler to a piece of the video connectors GRND shield and then attach the wire to that and then the Coolrunner.

4) Right switch coolrunner to Program, then with stock nand, boot the xbox, it should boot up fine, no errors what so ever. This is what we are after, if there are errors then something is wrong, remove 1 wire at a time and reboot inbetween to find the problems, once found re solder or clean up and try again.

5) Add all other wires 1 by one STBY_CLK is a hard point if you are not the best at soldering, I would try an alt point on underside of the board, F2R2, its just below one of the holes where the southbridge chip is.
Boot between all added wires, so add STBY_CLK, then boot, add POST_OUT1, then boot, etc. If you have a problem with it not booting then something is wrong with sorting or your soldering, recheck and re solder.

5) With all wires soldered and Xbox booting fine, now is the time to Flash the ecc file. Right use jrunner to create and flash the ecc file, if you get an error you have to start again, todo this you have to flash back to stock again and then reflash the ecc file.
Goto advanced menu in Jrunner then select Custom nand/cr functions.
Then select Write, 16, Open your original nand, then Start block is 0, length is 50, then click run, this will rewrite your original nands first 50 blocks back to the Xbox, to check all is ok boot the xbox it should boot fine.
Now turn off and reflash the ecc file with jrunner.

6) Set up Coolrunner Sxfv file RGH2.0 will work with any of the 4 file A B C & D, so try them all 1 by one. Set coolrunner to Normal, then Phat, (Try slim too it sometimes works)

7) if problems still persist and the xbox still wont glitch then try Cutting the CPU_REST wire to exactly 50cm try again, if no luck remove the 10 ohm resistor and try again. Also try cutting off 2.5cm's from the wire then trying again, once you get it to gltich this method also works to finetune boot times to approx 10secs.

[YOU CAN ALSO TRY THIS]
Martin C's solution on TX forums, use a resistor and cap in parallel, in place of the 10 ohm resistor on point D, he used 3.3kohm resistor and 470pf cap, you can try different values from 1k-3.3k ohm and 200pf-680pf and see what works best. This didnt work for me though.

What worked for me was to route the CPU_RESET wire ontop of the Xbox MB, then around and infront of the CPU, past the ROL, past the GPU and back to the coolrunner, I taped the wire down, glue works too. Without a 10ohm resistor on pad D.

Right I think that covers everything, one thing I noticed is that the final image I created with jrunner never ever worked, I had to use multibuilder, this was on a slim(RGH1) and a Jasper(RGH2) that I rescently RGH'd.

#3 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I've already done all that.

My xbox boots fine before flashing the ecc file. So the wiring is good. I've wired the coolrunner just like TX's guide making sure to stear clear of the area they have circled.

I've used JRunner, jtag tool and even done it manually with nandpro. Ever time its the same step. All works great until I flash the ECC file and try to glitch to xell. At that point I just get a blinking green light on the CoolRunner.

#4 Dicko316

Dicko316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Well thats everything you can try, I've literally given you about a 1000 variations to try.

You could try getting the shielded 50ohm wire but its never worked for me!

Nothing else can really be suggested!!!

I cannot honestly believe you have tried everything I suggested already either!?!

It literally took me over 10 hours to glitch the last Jasper 512mb box I did, bearing in mind I've done quite a few RGH'd systems myself, 3 so far this week alone, and just a little over 30 to my name so far this year. So seems as though this is your first RGH'd system I'd just be patient and keep trying variations.

How long are you waiting between gltich attempt?

I'd Flash RGH2.0 timing A, use 50cm CPU_reset routed topside of mother board, no resistor, then leave for 3 mins to boot, if it doesn't boot try again 2 more times exact same config. Then try RGH2.0 timing B and repeat, if that fails use timing C, then D etc. If still no luck try cutting off 2.5cm's then try all that again. Then still doesn't work cut off another 2.5cm's. Still no luck try the shielded wire or cut off more, still no luck try the resistor caps in parallel trick. All the time trying each one with each of the timing Files A-D, and trying each one 2-3 times for a good length of time.

You could always give up and send it to someone who knows a bit more?

Bridging the Cap point isn't going to do anything either because point A isn't used.

Pictures of all points would help too, I may see something you have missed.

It isnt an easy MOD by anymeans!

#5 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!

I will keep working on it. I've let it sit for over 10 min in between each flash to try. I'll use your suggestions and try shortening the wires etc and testing in between.

I've ran into road blocks while Jtag-ing before but for the most part everything goes according to plan. This is the first time where I've done everything right and it just won't work. I guess RGH-ing is more of learned science than Jtag-ing.

I've done a ton of mods for multiple systems going back to the first PS1 days so I know what I'm doing. I have 3 Jtag'd consoles in my home and have been doing these for years. I'm not new to the process and I'm very good with micro soldering. I don't mind working through these issues and getting this done right but in the end if I need to send it somewhere are you someone who does this for people?

Edited by highonxbox, 31 May 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#6 Dicko316

Dicko316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

I offer a RGH'd service in the UK for 55 inc return shipping.

I've been neglecting my BST thread on these forums as of late and havn't been pushing it like I used to. But I'll be updating it soon as I'm between jobs at the moment. I've got 7 TX deamon dual nands on pre order, I have a few matrix tridents, which work quite well too.

For the 55 service you get the RGH mod installed, I now use TX coolrunner rev c's, boot times get optimized, Nand backups on Cd/dvd, a bit of after sales service and advice, and return postage. I Normally offer Phat xbox Dvd frimware update free of charge too, as its only 2 mins extra work.

But if you supplied your own coolruner etc I could knock 20 off that, I wouldn't need any nandx stuff, just the RGH chip and console only.

If your intrested Pm me.

#7 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm in the US so shipping would be a bit pricey.

I just decided to bag it and RGH one of my other consoles that I use for online play. I'll just use this Zephyr for online play instead. I think my other is a Jasper.

#8 Dicko316

Dicko316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hope its not on latest dash as japers can sometimes be a bitch to glitch with RGH2.0, RGH1 however is a bit easier. Falcons tend to be easiest on RGH1.

If all fails, look in BST (Buy Sell Trade) section in the forums, there are plently of sellers there who could RGH a machine for you.

#9 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

Really? Shite! I'm certain my Jasper is on the latest dash. I can't win.

So can someone tell me if I'm supposed to "mod" my CoolRunner Rev B so it can run RGH 2.0? I've seen pics where people are using resisitors or somehting on the CoolRunner Rev B so it will run RGH 2.0.

#10 Dicko316

Dicko316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

I said what you needed to do in my first post.

RGH2.0 remove capacitor C15, then use a 10ohm resistor on pad D.

RGH1 Needs cap C15, no resistor.

On rev C coolrunners they have designed it so you dont have to remove the C15 cap, you just bypass it by bridging 2 points. The same goes for the 10 ohm resistor.

#11 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thanks again Dicko316. I appreciate all your help and guidance.

#12 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

last ditch effort. Ordered a rev c coolrunner.

#13 Dicko316

Dicko316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I don't think they are any better than Rev B. Well not for RGH2.0, it did make it easier to revert from RGH2.0 back to RGH1.0 but thats all really.

Make sure you follow the picture guides in Jrunner, eg remove 0ohm resistors on points JP and on points 2-3, then bridge 1-2 or solder the 0ohm resistor to pads 1&2. Then your setup for RGH2.0.

Gud luck!

#14 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

I had no idea there were wire guides built into jrunner! I read guide after guide, googled and searched forums for a wiring guide for phat rgh2 and couldn't find one. There it was all along, inside the app under "images". I have been following the pdf that came with jrunner and it doesn't have me going into those other menus.

Anyway, I'm an idiot. I hope that after wiring up my CR the right way that it glitches properly.

#15 highonxbox

highonxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Man I really suck at this! I've now followed the pics inside of JRunner for RGH2 on phat using CR rev c and it still doesn't glitch. I know all my soldering is good. I'm stumped at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users