• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HrutkayMods

HrutkayMods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:I repair and upgrade 360s. I play 360 games in my spare time.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

I picked up two tricools today... I test wired one up to see if it was going to work before I cut the hole. It works, but it's VERY slow, even with its toggle on high. I wired it to 12v, and it barely move any air. Sometimes I have to actually push start it to get it spinning, what's wrong with this fan? It seemed like a great fan but its sooo slow! There's no point in installing it when it goes that slow. Would removing the speed toggle fix it, or would that ruin the fan?

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Wired it to a 12v what? If you wired it to a 12vac wall wart then there's your problem.

#3 HrutkayMods

HrutkayMods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

I wired it to the 12v point in front of the GPU heatsink, then I wired it to the DVD 12v pin, and tried that to see of there was a difference. There wasn't a difference, both are extremely slow.

#4 hardrock351w

hardrock351w

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

What ground points are you using?
Did you test the fans on a PC first?

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

If you're using a good 12v DC source and the fan speed is the same on all switch settings then it would have to be a bad fan. Test them both in a PC, since they have the plugs for them that will an easy check, but if they work fine in the PC then they will in the 360, as long as you're using 12v and Ground for power in there. If they're still 'slow' in the PC then that's probably how they're supposed to work.

120mm fans aren't made for spinning as fast as smaller fans, because they don't have to move as fast to move the same amount of air as a 60mm one, since they have twice the diameter.

#6 HrutkayMods

HrutkayMods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Jun 2 2012, 03:04 PM) View Post

If you're using a good 12v DC source and the fan speed is the same on all switch settings then it would have to be a bad fan. Test them both in a PC, since they have the plugs for them that will an easy check, but if they work fine in the PC then they will in the 360, as long as you're using 12v and Ground for power in there. If they're still 'slow' in the PC then that's probably how they're supposed to work.

120mm fans aren't made for spinning as fast as smaller fans, because they don't have to move as fast to move the same amount of air as a 60mm one, since they have twice the diameter.

Well, I'm using 80mm fans... I tested a regular 80mm I have, and it is blaslingly fast... But the tricool is still slow, I just figure it's either the speed switch built into it, or the fan is just a bad fan, I'll test the other one I bought to see if I get the same result later

Oh and RDC, I'm a big fan of yours, I have been since I saw the slot loader 360 on Engadget.

Edited by HrutkayMods, 02 June 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#7 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:56 AM

Get a Nidec/Sunon/San Ace or Delta fans at .30A+ rating. These fans are "fast" enough.

#8 HrutkayMods

HrutkayMods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

I tested the other tricool... And bingo it works fast, the other was bad. I just have to cut the case. The connector I soldered to the power supply port, and I ran the wires through the hole next to the port.

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Sorry bout that, had the 120mm fan in mind for some reason.

Thanks. Glad ya have it figured out now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users