2 replies to this topic

#1 trecenters

trecenters

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:03 AM

Hey Everyone,

I haven't had to post anything in a long time. I am having trouble with this motherboard though. I am getting the RROD on and off with it. I have taken off the clamps and using two washers on the top side of the board so the heat sink is flush with the CPU/GPU die. I sanded/cleaned off the old thermal tape and used artic silver compound.

Sometimes I can get it to come on and post the Xbox logo so I know it isn't fried. I have tried loosening/tightening the sinks and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Not sure what model the board is but the drive is BENQ. The last BENQ model I had gave me trouble like this also. Most of the time I will power it up and it will run for a second but will not post the Xbox logo and then go straight to RROD. I believe the error is 1031 (not yet known). I am sure its related to the sinks though.

It's almost like something is grounding out because the few times I have made it post the sinks were loosened quite a bit. I don't have any tools really to heat up the board and I would rather buy another Xbox then to buy a station to fix this old one. Just really posting to see if anyone has ran into any boards that have give them this kind of problem. The last BENQ that gave me this problem I ended up frying with a heatgun because I never could get it stable.

Thanks for you time. wink.gif

#2 trecenters

trecenters

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is my error: 0003 Power problem could be the PSU could be the GPU/CPU, somehow the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.
I tried 4 different PS's so it isn't the PS.
Really don't know much about solid state boards so I am probably going to have to junk it.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE(trecenters @ Jun 2 2012, 11:04 PM) View Post

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is my error: 0003 Power problem could be the PSU could be the GPU/CPU, somehow the console isn't getting clean power from the power supply.
I tried 4 different PS's so it isn't the PS.
Really don't know much about solid state boards so I am probably going to have to junk it.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flush underneath the chips with alcohol, then evaporate it with a hairdryer or something else that doesnt get too hot and try again. Could be a metal shaving under there or a tin whisker that broke off of the bga. Are you using nylon washers on the bolts so the heatsinks don't touch the board?

I'd recommend sending it off to someone with a reworking station before you damage the chip too much with that x-clamp fix.

Look for bridged or missing componenets on the motherboard. If you can get it to give you any other error code, and you insist on not investing too much more money into it, buy a tiny bottle of Kester flux from ebay. It will run you like 2 bucks and ships from the U.S. Flush under the chips with that and throw that bad boy in the oven,with LOTS of insulation on the capacitors and plastic pieces.

An oven reflow is far more reliable than a heatgun reflow, and if its your last option, try it. Please invest in the flux first, it will be worth it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users