ttsgeb

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

I recently had a 360 that I was trying to fix, and I used it to test my home-built reflow oven. Things caught fire. This is what resulted.

This isn't written as a tutorial, because if you need to be told what you're doing here, you probably shouldn't be doing it. I may make a diagram circling all the caps this applies to later on.

In order to make the 360 begin to be feasible for even a large laptop, you kinda have to relocate quite a few caps. I figured, since you're taking them off anyway, why not put a smaller on in their places.

So, I found these: 10 NCC KZJ 6.3V 820UF LOW ESR Motherboard Capacitor
By ebay seller egekecu

You need 15 per board

I grabbed enough for 2 360 boards.

I just got done with the first one, it works fine... pretty impressive considering this is the board that caught fire in my failed attempt at a reflow oven. biggrin.gif
The biggest benefit to this is that they are 1cm tall, so the same as the width of the bigger caps. This way, you can still have the majority of the caps soldered directly to the board, and only have the 9 or so larger ones actually relocated. Less parts flopping around = less stuff to mess up randomly.

Old VS New
IPB Image
Mid switch
IPB Image
Completed*
IPB Image

*I actually had one still left to change, but who really cares?

I just got done testing, and everything turned on, so I guess I did things right.

Note: I didn't get these for any special project, so stop getting your hopes up. I got these because half of my old caps blew up when the mobo caught fire.
That's right, I still don't call things dead, even after it was in flames.

Edited by ttsgeb, 04 June 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#2 xboxhaxorz

xboxhaxorz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

the jasper board uses a lot of the new caps that dont really die or bulge

great thoughts on upgrading your components to make it last alot longer

#3 ttsgeb

ttsgeb

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Well, Like I said, it's not so much that there was something wrong with them *Before* I tried to fix things.
It's just that after the board was literally in flames for about 5 minutes, those caps unsurprisingly busted.
I figured it was worth the $10 to try and get things working again. I don't give up easy.

I do, however, appreciate your lack of comments on my *less than professional* equipment.
Your setup reminds me why I only do these things to my own stuff.

#4 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE(ttsgeb @ Jun 5 2012, 05:32 PM) View Post

Well, Like I said, it's not so much that there was something wrong with them *Before* I tried to fix things.
It's just that after the board was literally in flames for about 5 minutes, those caps unsurprisingly busted.
I figured it was worth the $10 to try and get things working again. I don't give up easy.

I do, however, appreciate your lack of comments on my *less than professional* equipment.
Your setup reminds me why I only do these things to my own stuff.

Just insulate the caps better next time and make sure to use flux when you reflow. Maybe a thermocouple or two as well...

All in all, your less than professional equipment is still going to be more successful than someone with a heatgun. Professionals don't tend to use reflow ovens on boards like this pretty much only because of the max temp of the caps. If you can find a way to insulate them well enough, it shouldn't be a problem. Although I can only imagine what the temperature was inside that oven to cause the board to actually catch fire, so if you don't have one already, get a thermocouple to stick in there while you do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users