10 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyxbox

johnnyxbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

Ok so I recently got the latest version of xbmc4xbox ...burnt it to a dvd and started copying it to the drive and something happened and now the box won't even boot to the dashboard! its just a black screen.

i really have no idea what happened or why...what i'd like to know is there a way to access the drive from outside the dashboard? if i just re-mod it using a memory card, will all the data on the drive be lost? my priority is to preserve the data because i have all my saves on there!

i'm sorry if i'm being too vague but this all happened over a month ago...if you need any more info to help just ask. i'm going to try and fix it myself but figured someone that's already been there might be able to help...

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

Use an auto-installer disk to obtain FTP access (HeXen, AID, Slayers) and try to fix things.
Or hold down white + Y during boot, you may be able to get FTP access.

If you can't do FTP you may be able to use the file manager from the previously mentioned auto-installer disks to fix things. Sounds like you updated a really old incompatible XBMC by writing files overtop. Try renaming the old folder and making a new folder with only the new files.

I am assuming XBMC is your dashboard..?

Edited by Movax, 09 June 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#3 johnnyxbox

johnnyxbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

First of all, thanks for the replay Movax...its much appreciated...but I'm one step ahead of you.

Its been years since I've fooled with this stuff so I've got to relearn a bunch of stuff.
I tried putting a game in and booting and still got a blank screen, so I happened to have a slayers disk and that booted, thank god.
But the version of slayers I have doesn't have a file manager...at least not one I could find, so I got FTP access going and I'm working on fixing the first xbox.
This one doesn't have the xbmc issue. This one has a 750gb drive installed and I think i screwed up the partitions or something when i did it because it only recognizes like 600gb. anything after that just wont work.
so a few weeks ago i was playing burnout revenge and it wouldn't save. rather than do the logical thing and delete some stuff to see if that worked i took the tdata and udata folder contents and moved them to g:. it wouldn't boot ever since. so now that i have ftp access i should be able to fix this without any problem.

as for the other xbox...i didnt rewrite anything! i was simply copying the xbmc files to g drive and then i was going to work with it from there. it was NOT an old version, i think it was the newest one available. i can't seem to find what version it was but it had the latest codecs which is why i wanted it on there.

i didn't know about the white + Y...i'm going to try that. if i can get these 2 back up and running i will be one happy camper.

also...which version of slayers has file manager? having access to the hard drive outside of the dash would be very useful in the future.

Edited by johnnyxbox, 09 June 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#4 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Quick google search says you should use boXplorer on Slayers.

#5 johnnyxbox

johnnyxbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

don't have it on mine. i guess i have to get a newer version. shouldn't be a problem.

hey, i copies the tdata files no problem, but when i get to udata its not letting me copy them...says access denied...can't create directory.
i'm fairly certain there's plenty of room, i mean i just moved this stuff to another partition...

do i even need udata? i'm tempted to try starting it up like this just to see if it works

"The filename is not being accepted by the server"

EDIT

ok i installed another ftp and was still having the same problem.
i tried starting the xbox and it didn't work, so i need to resolve this udata issue.

i made a new folder in e: called udata2 and tried to copy the files there. it's working! not sure what's going on but once the files are there all i need to do is move them to udata and that will be that.

anybody have any idea why i can't get files into udata?!?

Edited by johnnyxbox, 09 June 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#6 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Not sure what is wrong, you should try deleting the folder UDATA..? Your hard drive may be failing/ need to be reformatted. If you are going to d/led a new installer, you should grab HeXen, it is the most flexable.

#7 johnnyxbox

johnnyxbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

ok so just in case anybody reads this in the future and has a similar problem:

i ended up not being about to move the files back into udata.

what i COULD do was move the files into another folder in the same partition with no problem.

so i did that, deleted the udata folder and renamed the new folder. and it worked! my xbox is back up and running!!!

now to try on the 2nd one...

movak thank you very, very much for your help.
the drive is not failing...i'm not really sure why that happened but at least i found a way around it.
wasted the whole day but its working now so that wasn't a waste! i even played some burnout revenge to celebrate smile.gif

#8 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

As you learned, the Xbox needs file systems in the right place. The Xbox will create uData and Tdata folders if they don't exist. They need to stay on the E drive though.

It is a good idea to upgrade to the latest softmod software. Especially with the large drive you have in there. Did you format it with the latest xbpartitioner? If not you may start to lose data when you start filling it up.

#9 johnnyxbox

johnnyxbox

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:49 AM

That's exactly what's happening. You can copy data to the drive, its there, it looks like its there...but it just doesn't work.

It cuts off around the 600gb mark. anything under that is fine.
It was a lot of work filling it up so i'm just going to leave it, but i wish i could have gotten it right!

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

Check the cluster size - see the link in my signature for details. You've almost certainly got the wrong cluster size on the extended partition.

#11 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

The man is right!

Even with NDure + XBHDM, I still couldn't use anything near what I knew I had (300GB)

I then discovered XBPartioner, and set a 32K cluster size, all good now.

You may need to install an F and a G partition with a drive that size?!

best of luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users