4 replies to this topic

#1 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

I know this has been posted a number of times in the forums. I couldn't find anything on the search function. I don't know why. I did Google for information, but I'd like to get a reply here @ the X-S forums instead.

I don't have the original 360 metal chassis, so my setup is this:

M5 Screw = Motherboard = Nylon Washer = Metal Washer

Is this a safe setup? I'll be doing an ATX Power Supply mod, so I'd like to be on the safe side just in case.

Thanks!

#2 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(rilski @ Jun 10 2012, 05:18 AM) View Post

I know this has been posted a number of times in the forums. I couldn't find anything on the search function. I don't know why. I did Google for information, but I'd like to get a reply here @ the X-S forums instead.

I don't have the original 360 metal chassis, so my setup is this:

M5 Screw = Motherboard = Nylon Washer = Metal Washer

Is this a safe setup? I'll be doing an ATX Power Supply mod, so I'd like to be on the safe side just in case.

Thanks!

Is this in regards to an X-clamp fix or bolting down the board for a reflow? I'm gonna use my reasoning and say its the former.

If you ask me, put the X-clamps back on. Those bolts don't do anything but damage the 360 further. Unless you are flat broke and can't afford a reflow or reball, fixing RROD with those bolts should never be attempted. If your 360 hasn't RROD'd yet, put the clamps back on. The bolts can put too much pressure on the chips, causing them to crack or for solder balls to be crushed. The motherboard can warp around the bolts making a future repair next to impossible. With x-clamps, pressure is even and fairly safe, which is why Microsoft's engineers never took them out of the design even when they were correcting issues that led to RROD.

But if you must use bolts, use a uniclamp design. If you don't care about potential damage just go M5 screw = nylon washer = motherboard = nylon washer = metal washer. But remember, nylon will compact over time from the pressure of the screws. So you might want to replace those washers in the future...

#3 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

OK the "Uni-Clamp" fix is the way to go.

Thanks for posting!

#4 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(rilski @ Jun 11 2012, 02:46 AM) View Post

OK the "Uni-Clamp" fix is the way to go.

Thanks for posting!

The uniclamp is really only ideal as a last resort. The only difference is that it stops the board from flexing. It can still crush the solder balls and destroy the chip, trust me I've seen first hand.

These fixes are not fixes. They are just going to make it more expensive for you to fix or replace your Xbox down the road.

#5 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

I hear ya loud and clear about the board "flexin".

That is why I'd rather invest on having my 360 "reballed/reflowed" properly such as services provided here in our country @ Manila.

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users