• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 inuyasha555

inuyasha555

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

So it happened, my Jasper red ringed after around 2 years. It's not under warranty and $100 repair is outrageous.

The console freezes either after the Xbox logo or sometime when browsing the dashboard.

A few times I've gotten 3 red rings and secondary code 0022 which means the GPU is overheating or that it has an error.

After that I one time just got an error message on the dashboard that said ":8C020007" I googled it and couldn't find anything.

Just a few minutes ago I got 1 red ring and error code E71 which according to the forums is a dashboard issue and after trying the reset techniques, I got a message saying that feature wasn't available.

Anyone know what may be wrong?

#2 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE(inuyasha555 @ Jun 10 2012, 09:52 PM) View Post

So it happened, my Jasper red ringed after around 2 years. It's not under warranty and $100 repair is outrageous.

The console freezes either after the Xbox logo or sometime when browsing the dashboard.

A few times I've gotten 3 red rings and secondary code 0022 which means the GPU is overheating or that it has an error.

After that I one time just got an error message on the dashboard that said ":8C020007" I googled it and couldn't find anything.

Just a few minutes ago I got 1 red ring and error code E71 which according to the forums is a dashboard issue and after trying the reset techniques, I got a message saying that feature wasn't available.

Anyone know what may be wrong?

Well 0022 indicates an issue with the GPU usually. Can be any other BGA chip on the board though. A natural 0022 (natural meaning you didn't do anything to provoke it other than just play the Xbox) means that you either have a cold solder joint under a chip (usually gpu: cold solder joint basically means that one of the solder joints cracked and broke a connection due to repeated thermal stress on the joint) OR a bridged solder joint caused by a tin whisker (not even gonna go into that). This can be fixed by a reflow or a reball of whatever chip is giving you the error (most likely the GPU).

The dashboard message and error code E71 suggest to me, though, that you have had a failed dashboard update (people have reported 0022s from this, but its very rare). Can you replicate the message that popped onto the screen and get us the first 2 sets of the code? If not, do you know if you were on the latest dashboard? (14179 I think it is). You can try downloading that dashboard right from the microsoft website, follow their instructions and put it on a usb stick. Then boot up the Xbox with the usb connected. You must clear failed dashboard updates before this, which I think you tried to do with your reset techniques. I'd definitely extend all your resources on reinstalling the dashboard before you look into getting your GPU reflowed or reballed because since its a Jasper, the likelihood of it being hardware related is much less than any other 360 on the market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users