Photo

How Do You Update The Firmware On Flashed 360's?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 medhanki

medhanki

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Okay, so here's the deal. I found a guy on craigslist that flashed my 360. He came to my house, opened the console up, took out the hard drive, and then headed back to his place to do the work on it. So he comes back after about an hour, puts everything back together, and tests it in front of me. And all was good. Everything works perfectly and now I can play burned games. But then I started wondering, what if there is an xbox update? What if microsoft releases an update for the console, what do I do then? And that's where I turn to you guys. I am really grateful to the craigslist guy for doing this for my console, but I don't want to pay him everytime there is an update. So Anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to to in order to update my console to the latest version, but still keep the flash in order for me to play my burnt games? Thank you very much!

#2 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(medhanki @ Jun 11 2012, 04:09 PM) View Post

Okay, so here's the deal. I found a guy on craigslist that flashed my 360. He came to my house, opened the console up, took out the hard drive, and then headed back to his place to do the work on it. So he comes back after about an hour, puts everything back together, and tests it in front of me. And all was good. Everything works perfectly and now I can play burned games. But then I started wondering, what if there is an xbox update? What if microsoft releases an update for the console, what do I do then? And that's where I turn to you guys. I am really grateful to the craigslist guy for doing this for my console, but I don't want to pay him everytime there is an update. So Anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to to in order to update my console to the latest version, but still keep the flash in order for me to play my burnt games? Thank you very much!

You will have to flash the drive back to stock firmware, then update the dashboard, then flash back to the latest ixtreme for your model drive. Download JungleFlasher from their website. When you download it, there will be a tutorial in one of the folders you downloaded. It's in PDF format. It is very thorough.

How exactly you will flash your drive will depend on what type of drive you have and whether or not your SATA chipset is supported by jungleflasher.

#3 medhanki

medhanki

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(canyonnehastings @ Jun 11 2012, 10:45 PM) View Post

You will have to flash the drive back to stock firmware, then update the dashboard, then flash back to the latest ixtreme for your model drive. Download JungleFlasher from their website. When you download it, there will be a tutorial in one of the folders you downloaded. It's in PDF format. It is very thorough.

How exactly you will flash your drive will depend on what type of drive you have and whether or not your SATA chipset is supported by jungleflasher.

I see...so like I said earlier, I'm not the one who actually did everything to my xbox and thus I am not 100% sure on how exactly flashing works, so please bare with me. When you say I will have to unflash and reflash, do you mean that I will have to take out the hard drive like the guy did, and then do something to it physically, and then re-insert it again for each update? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

#4 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE(medhanki @ Jun 11 2012, 11:04 PM) View Post

I see...so like I said earlier, I'm not the one who actually did everything to my xbox and thus I am not 100% sure on how exactly flashing works, so please bare with me. When you say I will have to unflash and reflash, do you mean that I will have to take out the hard drive like the guy did, and then do something to it physically, and then re-insert it again for each update? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

Well first off, it is a DVD drive, not a hard drive. The DVD drive plays the discs, the hard drive is what you store your information on.

But yes, you will have to open up the 360, remove the DVD drive, plug the drive into a computer, run JungleFlasher (the program that deals with flashing the 360) and through JF, you will have to flash the firmware on the drive back to the stock firmware that it shipped with, then reassemble and update the 360, then flash the drive back to the newest firmware (which will probably be a different version because microsoft will have patched the old one probably).

You will want to stay current on c4evaspeaks.com and the ixtreme forums. The people there will tell you what is safe and not safe to do with your Xbox while it's flashed.

It would be a good idea for you to learn how to flash it yourself so you don't have to pay to have it done everytime (maintenance on it isn't really that often, but often enough to warrant having the knowledge of doing it).

You may have to purchase additional tools to flash it, depending on what you have at your disposal. If the SATA chipset in your computer isn't supported by JungleFlasher, you will need either a supported VIA card or an X360 USB Pro (this is so the computer can talk to the DVD drive). If you don't have an old broken Xbox to power the Drive (it has a proprietary power port that only the 360 has and not your computer), then you will need a CK3i to power the drive for flashing.

Lastly, you will need a CK3 Probe 3 to flash your drive if you have a LiteOn dvd drive installed (most of the drives don't need this).

And all this is only true if you have a Phat model 360. If it's a Slim, things will differ slightly.

#5 medhanki

medhanki

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(canyonnehastings @ Jun 12 2012, 05:42 AM) View Post

Well first off, it is a DVD drive, not a hard drive. The DVD drive plays the discs, the hard drive is what you store your information on.

But yes, you will have to open up the 360, remove the DVD drive, plug the drive into a computer, run JungleFlasher (the program that deals with flashing the 360) and through JF, you will have to flash the firmware on the drive back to the stock firmware that it shipped with, then reassemble and update the 360, then flash the drive back to the newest firmware (which will probably be a different version because microsoft will have patched the old one probably).

You will want to stay current on c4evaspeaks.com and the ixtreme forums. The people there will tell you what is safe and not safe to do with your Xbox while it's flashed.

It would be a good idea for you to learn how to flash it yourself so you don't have to pay to have it done everytime (maintenance on it isn't really that often, but often enough to warrant having the knowledge of doing it).

You may have to purchase additional tools to flash it, depending on what you have at your disposal. If the SATA chipset in your computer isn't supported by JungleFlasher, you will need either a supported VIA card or an X360 USB Pro (this is so the computer can talk to the DVD drive). If you don't have an old broken Xbox to power the Drive (it has a proprietary power port that only the 360 has and not your computer), then you will need a CK3i to power the drive for flashing.

Lastly, you will need a CK3 Probe 3 to flash your drive if you have a LiteOn dvd drive installed (most of the drives don't need this).

And all this is only true if you have a Phat model 360. If it's a Slim, things will differ slightly.

Ohhh okay, sorry I don't know why I kept on saying Hard drive. Anyways, thanks for the description, you've definitely made things a lot clearer for me as far as what the process of flashing is. So it turns out that I do in fact have a slim 360. How different is the process for the slim ones than what you described for the phat model?

#6 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(medhanki @ Jun 12 2012, 03:30 PM) View Post

Ohhh okay, sorry I don't know why I kept on saying Hard drive. Anyways, thanks for the description, you've definitely made things a lot clearer for me as far as what the process of flashing is. So it turns out that I do in fact have a slim 360. How different is the process for the slim ones than what you described for the phat model?

Well not too different. I've never actually flashed a slim drive. And I know some of the Slim drives don't actually have firmware released for them yet. Some DG-16D4S drives do have firmware released for them so I'm betting that's what you have. I think you may need a "sputnik probe" to flash it, but I really don't know. I've never had to flash a slim drive.

Look through that jungleflasher tutorial or the c4evaspeaks/ixtreme/team xecuter/jungle flasher forums for a better tutorial on your specific drive since I'm not much help in this case lol.

#7 BanditRW

BanditRW

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

Apparently I must be in the minority as I have been doing this for years and never once have I flashed my drives back to stock before updating to the new dashboard rollouts........or maybe I'm just extremely lucky.

#8 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(BanditRW @ Jun 20 2012, 01:19 AM) View Post

Apparently I must be in the minority as I have been doing this for years and never once have I flashed my drives back to stock before updating to the new dashboard rollouts........or maybe I'm just extremely lucky.

I never flash my drive back to stock when there is updates, even for the update that flashed you back to stock firmware. I just roll the dice and go for it. 2 1/2 years with this current console and no XBL ban. I do keep off live until the new update has been analyzed and use ABGX360 to patch my games and update my firmware as soon as a new one is released. Also people should avoid playing games before release date, duh.

Edited by BoNg420, 20 June 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#9 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(BanditRW @ Jun 20 2012, 12:19 AM) View Post

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Jun 20 2012, 07:36 AM) View Post

I never flash my drive back to stock when there is updates, even for the update that flashed you back to stock firmware. I just roll the dice and go for it. 2 1/2 years with this current console and no XBL ban. I do keep off live until the new update has been analyzed and use ABGX360 to patch my games and update my firmware as soon as a new one is released. Also people should avoid playing games before release date, duh.

Weird. Every Xbox I've tried to update with ixtreme firmware, or even just a mismatched drive....has given me an E79 error until I clear the update. Most of the time the update just fails. I haven't read anywhere except this thread that even suggests its possible. I think some Xbox's don't have the drive info stored in the CB, so you could probably get away with updating those. Maybe that's what you guys have.

#10 Evleos

Evleos

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

But what if you don't have the original firmware nor the key, as someone else flashed it for you. What then? Am I fucked?

#11 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

The key is stored in the drive itself. Anyhow I do the same as Bong420. I don't flash back to stock for an update. I roll the dice and see what happens. So far I've never been banned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users