Photo

Lite On "open Tray Error", Barely Spins The Disc, Bad Laser?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CrysisLTU

CrysisLTU

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Half-Life 2 for the Original Xbox modding.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

So I got a Jasper motherboard, changed the DVD key and flashed to LT+ 3.0 and I can't get any discs read. I haven't really tested the DVD drive before because it was from a RROD console, but I thought it worked ok. So, I put the disc in, put the spindle magnet on the disc, close the tray and the spindle motor barely spins, laser flashes two times and I get the open tray error. Since the red light is coming from the laser, maybe the laser fine? Tried to flash back to the stock firmware and same thing happens. Sprayed some WD-40 on the spindle motor and that didn't help eather. Spindle motor spins fine if there is no disc inside. Tried turning the pot on the and that didn't help too. So, I came to a conclusion that the laser is dead. Am I right, or is there anything else that I can do?

#2 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

It could be the laser. Is the spindle motor making any noise? It could be it as well or just the spindle motor. The spindle motors are about $10 if you want to try replacing it.

#3 CrysisLTU

CrysisLTU

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(xboxdawg @ Jun 12 2012, 10:43 PM) View Post

It could be the laser. Is the spindle motor making any noise? It could be it as well or just the spindle motor. The spindle motors are about $10 if you want to try replacing it.

Nope, the spindle motor is not making any noise. I'll probably gonna try to replace the laser, since they are like 6 bucks anyway, but of course, any other suggestions are welcome.

#4 s3cur1tr0n

s3cur1tr0n

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

ive had a ton of liteon drives where the laser would somehow stay at the furthest point on the rails and not move past, if it doesnt work after pushing it all they way to the spindle motor then it is most likely a bad laser

if its getting stuck at the back then you need to super glue 2 washers like the ones used for rrod xclamp replacement to keep it from going so far back

#5 CrysisLTU

CrysisLTU

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE(s3cur1tr0n @ Jun 13 2012, 01:38 AM) View Post

ive had a ton of liteon drives where the laser would somehow stay at the furthest point on the rails and not move past, if it doesnt work after pushing it all they way to the spindle motor then it is most likely a bad laser

if its getting stuck at the back then you need to super glue 2 washers like the ones used for rrod xclamp replacement to keep it from going so far back

The laser is not sitting at the back. Thanks, now I'm even more confident it's the laser. I'll have to order one from eachgame.com

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(CrysisLTU @ Jun 13 2012, 03:20 AM) View Post

The laser is not sitting at the back. Thanks, now I'm even more confident it's the laser. I'll have to order one from eachgame.com

Dont know how much they charge there to ship, but I order mine on ebay for like $8.30 shipped or so.

#7 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Wow that eachgame.com has some good prices. If they're not outrageous on shipping...

Last time I bought lasers on ebay they were $10 shipped unless you wanted to wait to get them from china.

#8 CrysisLTU

CrysisLTU

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

For me, shipping is $0.89 via airmail, not bad. Shipping from eachgame.com usualy takes 2-3 weeks. I've also got a discount because I ordered a few other things from them, so really, it's a great site with great prices.

#9 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Shipping is reasonable for USA if you're willing to wait since they are in China. I was looking for a HD transfer cable but ended up ordering on Ebay since I wanted it from USA. Found one for same price with free shipping.

I did bookmark the site for future reference. Let us know if the new laser fixes your problem.

#10 CrysisLTU

CrysisLTU

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Got the laser yesterday, took about 2 and a half weeks to get here. And yes, the new laser fixed my problem! Everything works great now tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users