5 replies to this topic

#1 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Ok, so I've got a 120gb MS hard drive that I've had a while. It originally came off my black elite (phat) 2008 xbox. The last month or so I've started having problems loading games every now and then. Gears of War 3 would tell me it couldn't read the disc. Then sometimes updates would fail. I went and cleared the cache and usually that took care of it.

Then I went to play the campaign on Gears and it said it was corrupted. Kind of pissed me off since I was 95% done. So I had to delete it and start over. Yesterday I downloaded the Dirt Showdown demo. When I tried to run it, it said that the disc was dirty or unreadable. WTF its on the hard drive! Anyway I cleared cache, same problem. Deleted and redownloaded. Same problem. I was down to like 12gb on the HD. So I deleted a few things to get it like 14 or 15gb and redownloaded. Now it's working.

My questions:

1. Is my hard drive going bad?

2. Is there a utility to go through and defrag or clean it up? or should I just back everything off to my computer hard drive and format the 360 drive and then load it back on?

3. My other thought was to just buy a new 250gb and copy the contents to it.

Any suggestions?

I suspect that it's just a case of the hard drive being 4yrs old and needing some clean up.

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Before you do anything else, back up all the data you want to save. Your HDD is likely dying. I know someone who has a failing HDD as well, though it's been holding on by a thread for a while.

If you want, you can pop it out of the case and run a diagnostics test on it. That'll help determine what the problem is.

#3 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

What's the best thing to back it up with? Xplorer360? or is there something better?

Thanks

Edited by xboxdawg, 15 June 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

I like Party Buffalo.

#5 xboxdawg

xboxdawg

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ok thanks!

Btw is that available as shareware or do I have to look in the usual places

Update:

I found it, thanks!

Edited by xboxdawg, 15 June 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#6 adames

adames

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

it's been holding on by a thread for a while.IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users