• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

It has been a while since I did it, but I did originally have evolution x installed I think, and was running xbmc as the default dash. Can't remember exactly what I did, but I did something along the lines of screwing something up over ftp, and now it loads into the m$ dash without giving me an opportunity to load into xbmc. I did change the color of the power ring in the softmod settings though, and it turns orange after it boots up. That leads me to believe that the xbox is still technically modded, and that I can still run some sort of program or ftp into it.

Problem is, I don't have a computer near my tv, or an ethernet cable near my tv, so I don't know what ip the xbox is coming up as in order to ftp. To make matters worse, I am pretty sure that I changed the password, although I have a pretty good idea as to what it could be.

I have both the splinter cell disk, and mechassault disk, but the xbox cannot read any disks anymore. Even a plain dvd. The one time it got anything out of the mechassault disk, it thought it was a audio cd. I do have a hard wired usb port on one of the controller ports, so it recognizes my flash drive as a usb drive, but idk what else I can do...

Basically, I have been out of the scene for years, and I need to know the easiest way to get xbmc to load back up on a partially softmodded xbox, without buying anything.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Your router will tell you the Xbox IP address, but don't get your hopes up. The FTP server is in the hacked dashboard, but the MS Dash doesn't have an FTP server, so FTP won't help you.

You need to get a working DVD drive, and use a boot disk like HeXEn.

Your only other option is to remove the hard drive, and use xboxhdm to give you access to the drive so you can replace the softmod.

#3 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 14 2012, 11:00 PM) View Post

Your router will tell you the Xbox IP address, but don't get your hopes up. The FTP server is in the hacked dashboard, but the MS Dash doesn't have an FTP server, so FTP won't help you.

You need to get a working DVD drive, and use a boot disk like HeXEn.

Your only other option is to remove the hard drive, and use xboxhdm to give you access to the drive so you can replace the softmod.

I wouldn't feel uncomfortable doing this. Could you elaborate a little more on the process of this. From my understanding, I need to hotswap the drive into a computer with an ide cable, but I am a little lost on the whole process. Is there a tutorial that I could follow? I am sure that I backed up the eeprom, so if there is a way for me to access that, would there be a way for me to rebuild that drive? Would I just turn on the xbox, then hotswap it into the computer, and then copy the eeprom off, and then rebuild the drive using my eeprom? (At that point, I may as well rebuild it using one of my bigger hard drives that I have laying around.)

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

personally i would..
Download a copy of hexen, "heimdalls xbox engineering disk" butrn that to a dvd i would still do it for compatibility to a dvd-r at 4x or slower..

Then..
I would "with the xbox off.."
disconnect the ide ribon cable from the xbox dvd drive, and connect it to a pc dvd drive.
"the power cable the xbox uses to power the xbox dvd drive should remain connected to the xbox dvd, so the xbox is still connected to the xbox dvd that way"

you would then need either a a Y power splitter to steal power from the 4 pin molex the hard disk uses, this will let the xbox power the pc dvd. "the best option if available"
Or alternetavly you can use a 2nd power source (pc? extra xbox?) to power the pc dvd drive.

You should then be able to put the hexen dvd you just burnt in to the pc dvd player thats connected to the xbox. and that SHOULD let you boot so you can either resoftymod or switch dash.
It would even let you have ftp access..

I would do it that way because finding a working xbox dvd player these days will cos more than a second hand xbox.
It is also safer than hotswapping..

once its re softmodded. you can then back up the eeprom and ftp that to a pc and you can build a xboxhdm disk to prepair your larger drive..

This isnt the only way to do it. but its the way i would do it as it has the least risk.

A pc dvd player will not let you use splintercell or mech assault excetera. but it should let you boot up hexen.

Edited by shambles1980, 15 June 2012 - 03:32 AM.

#5 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jun 15 2012, 03:30 AM) View Post

personally i would..
Download a copy of hexen, "heimdalls xbox engineering disk" butrn that to a dvd i would still do it for compatibility to a dvd-r at 4x or slower..

Then..
I would "with the xbox off.."
disconnect the ide ribon cable from the xbox dvd drive, and connect it to a pc dvd drive.
"the power cable the xbox uses to power the xbox dvd drive should remain connected to the xbox dvd, so the xbox is still connected to the xbox dvd that way"

you would then need either a a Y power splitter to steal power from the 4 pin molex the hard disk uses, this will let the xbox power the pc dvd. "the best option if available"
Or alternetavly you can use a 2nd power source (pc? extra xbox?) to power the pc dvd drive.

You should then be able to put the hexen dvd you just burnt in to the pc dvd player thats connected to the xbox. and that SHOULD let you boot so you can either resoftymod or switch dash.
It would even let you have ftp access..

I would do it that way because finding a working xbox dvd player these days will cos more than a second hand xbox.
It is also safer than hotswapping..

once its re softmodded. you can then back up the eeprom and ftp that to a pc and you can build a xboxhdm disk to prepair your larger drive..

This isnt the only way to do it. but its the way i would do it as it has the least risk.

A pc dvd player will not let you use splintercell or mech assault excetera. but it should let you boot up hexen.

Ok, I'm about to scrounge around and see what I can find from my spare parts, hopefully I can rig up something that could boot that disk...

#6 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE(ph7ryan @ Jun 15 2012, 03:49 AM) View Post

Ok, I'm about to scrounge around and see what I can find from my spare parts, hopefully I can rig up something that could boot that disk...

Ok, I really appreciate the help guys. I have a new drive plugged in and powered up, the way it was described in the post above, but I am having an issue with the xbox recognizing the drive.

It seems that the xbox only switches to "modded mode" after it has done it's POST and boot sequence. Once the dash comes up, the light turns orange. However, I can't get the xbox to boot up with the pc drive in place as I get error 12. I have tried "hotswapping" the cable after the xbox is up, and then inserted the disk into the drive, but after a short while, the pc drive activity light turns off, and the xbox doesn't recognize the drive.

I feel that I am so close to getting this thing to boot into SOMETHING, but nothing will work.

Edit: So I had a stroke of genious in the middle of typing this out and realized that I never tried the combination of the Hexen disk in the original xbox drive. I had been playing around with the potentiometers on the drive earlier so idk if that helped any (still won't boot mechassault) but it booted up hexen like a champ! I am using a projector at very close range right now close to my computer lol, so I will now take it back downstairs to a TV and finish up the process. Thanks a ton guys!

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

your getting error 12 because the xbox dvd player is not connected to the xbox power...

be sure that the xbox power is connected to the dvd (bunch of yellow wires. or bunch of brown wires)
the xbox dvd player has to be connected to the xbox using the default power connection..

The PC dvd player Connects to the IDE cabe.. And to the Power supply of the hard disk (using a y-splitter so the hard disk still gets power) Or you can power the pc dvd drive form a second power supply. This should mean you dont get error 12..

forgot to mention..
the hard disk needs to be set as master, and pc dvd needs to be set as slave.

Edited by shambles1980, 15 June 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#8 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Well I actually booted into Hexen with the original drive so all is good, but I was sure that the power from the original xbox drive was still intact. As a matter of fact, if I turned the xbox on with the ide in the pc drive (powered by a pc powersupply) by pressing the eject button, the xbox drive was the one that opened. I never touched the power cable to the xbox drive once, so it must have had to be the fact that the ide was switched up that was giving me the error 12, because when I got it to boot hexen, all I did was switch the ide back over to the xbox drive.

Anyways, I am back to normal now, so all is good! Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users