31 replies to this topic

#1 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Just swapped a soft-modded xbox for another one. This one has an EvoX stamp in the top left corner of startup screen (the blob).It also has modchip-shop sticker on the bottom, so thinking this is either a custom kernel, or there really is a hardware modchip inside. The Dash goes straight to MS Dashboard, and I can see no obvious buttons or similar on the outside of the case.

I am opening the xbox tonight... might softmod it, but there was a visually identification page somewhere on this site (?), so if someone can point me to it, I'll check under the DVD-ROM drive, and see what I find.

Many thanks.

#2 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

it could be tsop flashed..
Any way you dont soft mod it..

you get hexen "heimdalls xbox engineering disk" burn that at 4x or slower to dvd-r
and use that to build a new disk.. (pal or ntsc)
and you will be modified..

you dont need to softmod it. and infact you should not softmod it

Edited by shambles1980, 17 June 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#3 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

You were correct shambles!

I reflashed the PAL BIOS (EvoX m8) using HeXeN, and installed a dashboard (UnleashX).

I didn't like the HeXeN dashboard layout at all, so I copied back my previous UnleashX config.xml file.

It is now identical to my previous XBOX, with the exception of no MS Dashboard.

(hmmm, I might need to check the MS Dashboard details in UnleashX config.xml, it may be pointing to the dash folder on E:)

I believe the XBOX was previously set to widescreen, as all the games I play now look a bit squashed (cars looked tall etc.). Starting with the Eject button now goes to blackscreen (I could have installed a softmod during the procedure, I am unsure).

As an example, reinstalling corrupted shadowc with HeXeN has no effect whatsoever.

As I have a working softmod, I am not that concerned regarding MS Dash, unless I positively need it to fix the blackscreen/widescreen issues.

PS. The widescreen thing may be my imagination, as onscreen text and timers/scores are not stretched, and all fit on the 4:3 screen?!

Anyone think there may be a fix, without hex-editing BIOS files?

PPS. I have NDure 3.1, Slayers Auto Installer 2.7, HeXen discs, the original (non-working) BIOS backup, and a new backup on the XBOX. I also have a full backup of the C and E drives before installation.

Any help gratefully accepted!

PPPS. I don't mind doing a full reinstall with Slayers, as there is nothing I wish to keep on the XBOX at the moment. If that will fix it, I will try that.

PPPPS. I have never seen or used a TSOP flashed XBOX or Modchip before. How can I check for a modchip? under the DVD drive?

Edited by themacmeister, 18 June 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

If you select the right options ("3.2. Modchip / TSOP Flash (Not Winbond)" to flash the BIOS, "3.5.2. Clean C partition after TSOP flash" to get rid of anything left behind on the old C partition and to install all of the necessary clean files) then HeXEn installs the MS Dash, along with a config that makes it accessible. When you replaced c:\config.xml to get your old menu layout back you also removed the entry to the MS Dash. A quick bit of side-by-side comparison will reveal the lines you need to change.

You didn't install a softmod - if you had the Xbox wouldn't boot.

Set the Xbox to widescreen using the MS Dash and you'll have widescreen back. (Not that flashing a new BIOS would have changed it, so I think your later comment about your imagination may be correct.)

Flashed Xboxes don't use shadow C.

You don't have a working softmod, you have a working flashed xbox with a custom BIOS.

A fix for what? What do you think that hex editing BIOS files would do for you? You haven't described a problem that needs fixing.

HeXen has already done a full reinstall when it flashed the BIOS. Slayer's won't do anything different, except install Evox or an old version of UnleashX.

It's quite obvious that you have never seen or used a TSOP flashed XBOX or Modchip before! smile.gif

ps. Out of interest, what didn't you like about the UnleashX menu layout that HeXEn installed? By getting rid of it you've removed some of the nice scripts that it installs (dash switching, video mode switching, etc.)

Edited by Heimdall, 18 June 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#5 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 18 2012, 11:07 PM) View Post
ps. Out of interest, what didn't you like about the UnleashX menu layout that HeXEn installed? By getting rid of it you've removed some of the nice scripts that it installs (dash switching, video mode switching, etc.)

I have my own minimalist UnleashX config (about 3k) compared to his (about 9+k). I use the built in eeprom-safe video mode switching, and that seems to work for me. I also don't want any visible items that if someone else uses, might screw up the xbox.

It's really just an issue of liking what I am used to. The default menu install I replaced was daunting :) (to a n00b).

What is the reason that a softmod won't work on a TSOP flashed XBOX?

I now have fully working MS Dashboard, and default Slayeres App install, with all Slayers settings, except for UnleashX config. Even says Slayers 2.7 under BIOS boot screen.

I have done some research on the TSOP flash, and it appears that there is no going back (without desoldering - which I am not even going to attempt). I assume that this was the only way to go before softmods came into being.

The one thing I really, really miss is BOOST mode when using FTP. It took me a few minutes to remember that, when I couldn't copy a single file :) My old config came from a straight softmod, so still had BOOST enabled. Is there a 256k BIOS flash that supports TSOP flash + BOOST MODE FTP???

I cannot thank you enough Heimdall, for taking the time to reply to a total n00b like me. Your HeXeN disk has really helped, and will continue to help me into the future.

I wish there were still people developing/porting to XBOX on a regular basis.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Softmods won't work on a TSOP because a softmod patches the stock MS BIOS in-memory, but a flashed Xbox has no stock MS BIOS so the patching fails and the Xbox hangs. There is no reason to want to install a softmod on top of a flashed Xbox - the softmod and the flashed BIOS do the same thing.

I have no idea what you mean by "default Slayeres App install", or how you achieved it. Are you sure you are using UnleashX, or have you installed Evox instead? From your description of "eeprom safe video mode switching" and the rest of your description it sounds as though you have used Slayers to reflash the BIOS and install a default Slayers setup, with Evox as its dash.

You don't have to remove the soldering to get rid of the TSOP flash - if you really want a softmod then you just reflash a copy of the original MS BIOS then install a softmod. It won't solve any of your perceived problems.

BIOSes and softmods don't support FTP boost mode. BIOSes and softmods don't even understand the existence of FTP. FTP clients and servers support boost mode, and on an Xbox they are built into the dashboard. You were obviously using a different dashboard, one that supported FTP boost mode.

Edited by Heimdall, 20 June 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#7 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 20 2012, 09:08 PM) View Post
BIOSes and softmods don't support FTP boost mode. BIOSes and softmods don't even understand the existence of FTP. FTP clients and servers support boost mode, and on an Xbox they are built into the dashboard. You were obviously using a different dashboard, one that supported FTP boost mode.

I have to take issue with you here, I noted on a forum that a recent release of the EvoX M8 BIOS did not support turbo/boost. I must admit tho, that my new install of UnleashX has a different splash screen. My old version of UnleashX supported Boost mode, so I might just revert to that one, and see if it works again.

Many thanks again for the helpful info. It is a sign of great care on the behalf of Slayer/Heimdall that someone with no knowledge whatsoever of TSOP flashed XBOXes can flash the BIOS and install a working custom dashboard first attempt.

PS. Yes, I did originally have Slayers EvolutionX dashboard, but I dislike it in every way. I find UnleashX far easier to understand and work/play with, although I have not tried out many skins. There may be an EvolutionX skin that is AWESOME. The default apps were custom XBMC, dvd2x, dvd player, Boxplorer etc., so yes, almost certainly a default rebuild from Slayers Auto Install disc (one click) smile.gif

Edited by themacmeister, 20 June 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

You clearly didn't read the bit you quoted, the one you are taking issue with. Your old version of UnleashX was a different dashboard, and I said "You were obviously using a different dashboard, one that supported FTP boost mode." I also said that BIOSes don't directly support or even understand FTP mode. So you are taking issue with something that you agree with......

I "noted on a forum" that Elvis is alive and living on the moon, it doesn't make it true, or even make it possible.

The new version of UnleashX has a different splash screen because I included it in HeXEn. It won't revert to the old splash screen if you decide to use an older version of UnleashX.

Edited by Heimdall, 20 June 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#9 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

just to make sure you understand..
Your xbox could still have a mod chip in it..

I personally wouldnt use M8 bios on a tsop flash.. and would usually reserve it for a chip for 1.6 boxes..
I do occasionaly flash the tsop with m8. But usually id use IND bios on a tsop..

The only way you will know if its tsoped or has a chip is to open it. Unless its a 1.6 console then you can check the MFR dates on the bottom of the console and be able to tell with about 90% certainty that it must have a mod chip..

What mod chip that would be is un known to us..

#10 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

Thanks Heimdall.

I know it is a 1.4 XBOX. That is interesting about the BIOS too.

Would you consider a BIOS flash to IND safe, if I am unsure whether TSOP, or ModChip?

If TSOP is easiest method on 1.4, I would guess that is what they did at the modchip store. The install on the machine was completely virgin, so there was never (according to my looking around) any custom Dash or 3rd party software on there.

Many thanks again for your help. I can almost guarantee that I learn something new with every reply smile.gif

I'll crack the case this week, and have a look under the DVD drive! That's where most people say the modchip will be, if there is one.

thanks again.

PS. I dropped the XBOX on the concrete when exiting my car.

If it was a modchip, it was a very sturdy one smile.gif

#11 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

you can more than likley Safley flash IND 256k bios to it if you use Hexen "heimdals xbox engineering disk" to do it..
Provided its definatly not a 1.6 you should be just fine..

#12 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jun 23 2012, 11:19 AM) View Post

you can more than likley Safley flash IND 256k bios to it if you use Hexen "heimdals xbox engineering disk" to do it..
Provided its definatly not a 1.6 you should be just fine..

Thanks shambles, sorry for calling you Heimdall in the previous reply wink.gif

I'll crack the case tonight and have a look around. If I can only see solder-points, I'll assume it is a TSOP flash only, but if I see a modchip, I would love a link to the modchip identification page (which I saw recently, promptly closed, and now need again). No point going through my history, as there are hundreds of XBOX links in there. Yup, just checked... lost it. It was a website, not just one big picture.

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Modchip identification.

#14 themacmeister

themacmeister

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jun 23 2012, 11:13 PM) View Post

Thanks Heimdall, I managed to find those somehow on my own smile.gif

I'm cracking the case tonight, wish me luck. There is absolutely NO CHANCE is there, that the modchip will be UNDER the circuitboard?

Cheers.

#15 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

There is absolutely NO CHANCE is there, that the modchip will be UNDER the circuitboard?

This one has an EvoX stamp in the top left corner of startup screen..

Not with the evox logo showing, it's highley unlikely someone would go to the trouble of trying to make an LPC modchip fit under the board. If you don't see a chip (should be very, very obvious), it's TSOP flashed.

Edited by Movax, 24 June 2012 - 05:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users