• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DivinedSin

DivinedSin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

I have over 5TB of Xbox 360 ISOs, and when I'm trying to transfer a large number of these games to any random external USB drive, I find that exISO has this tendency to hang and slow down tremendously after about the extraction of 15 or so games. It will take a standard 3-5 minutes extracting the first couple of ISOs, but then at some point it just really bogs down, taking about an hour per game.

I need something that is stable and can reliably extract several hundred ISOs so I can just set it and leave it overnight or whatever. Xbox Image Browser is fast but, as far as I can tell, can only extract single ISOs. Anything else I've tried has a similarly limited feature set.

Has anyone experienced this kind of slowdown with exISO? I haven't had enough experience with it to pinpoint exactly when or why it happens, but something is definitely going on.

For the purposes of being thorough, I am using a custom PC using a Pentium Dual Core e5200 @ 2.5ghz. It has 4GB of RAM and all my games are stored across 3 hard drives that are all 2TB each for a total of 6TB of storage: 2 SATA hard drives and 1 USB external hard drive.

Also, here are some of the things I've tried in efforts to solve this matter, assuming it wasn't inherent to exISO:
  • Turned off all power settings that sleep/modify hard drive behavior, including USB.
  • Monitored CPU usage which stayed around 20-30%, an average of 15% coming from exISO (but more often much lower)
  • I found that one external drive I was transferring to had its removal policy set to "Quick removal" and I noticed an initial and significant improvement in transfer speeds upon changing it. However, exISO still tapered down to a crawl after so many ISOs were extracted.

Edited by DivinedSin, 20 June 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#2 Swizzy

Swizzy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

it can be caused by many things, maybe it's the isos themselves? if the game have thousands of small files it'll take alot longer to extract it then if it only have a couple of hundred large files...

It can also be that your harddrives don't like the process wink.gif

#3 DivinedSin

DivinedSin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Yeah I can see how an ISO with many small files in it can cause delays. Thanks for your response; I just really don't like exISO overall as a program. As I have come to understand it, it's a GUI for multiple tools so I'm trying to see if I can find something a little more reliable and stable.

Anyone else use something different?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users