5 replies to this topic

#1 updogg

updogg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

Hello All,

I've tried perusing through this site http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list to find out which hard drive I should purchase, but I can't seem to find anything current that I can order from newegg. I am looking for 1-2 TB drive that will work with a softmodded xbox. I will used Xboxhdm 1.9 to make a bootable iso, therefore the drive needs to be lockable. I have ordered a IDE to SATA adapter from deals extreme. So would anyone please be kind enough to point me to a drive that will work from newegg? Thank you in advanced!

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

No one can say for sure which hard drives will work and which won't. It is trial and error I'm afraid. If you are looking for a hard drive that is compatible for Xbox, I would buy locally, unless you want to pay return shipping sending back the drives that don't work because it may actually take a few tries to get one that works.

The reason for this is that hard drives change without notice, either by software (firmware), or by slight hardware updates. This means that someone here could say "This exact make/model works. Go buy this one", and then due to a slight change at the the factory (firmware update, for example), said model may not work for you. This is also the reason why there is no reliable "compatibility" list anywhere on the net.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 01 July 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#3 capboy210

capboy210

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modification, computers, games, live, friends, girls, eating pasta.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Well let me narrow down your options, I'd stick with seagate or WD since they typically have the highest success rate, not to mention the Xbox was initially designed using hard drives from both these vendors.

Edited by capboy210, 01 July 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#4 updogg

updogg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Well I have a microcenter near by, I will just try different 2 TB WD or Seagate drives until I find one that works. I just thought their must be a method to this as people sell custom xbox's in the for sale section with a bunch of 1 - 2 TB drives.

#5 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Those SATA to IDE converters were really hit or miss on them.
I'd get a nice batch of them that worked great, then I'd get others which caused the console to boot slowly or not at all. The exact same converter worked great on one hdd & not at all on a different hdd. It was a pain in the ass to get the right combination of performance & compatibility.

I dealt with chipped consoles so I never bothered to lock or unlock any of those SATA drives.
That's where you'll probably have the toughest time as SATA hard drives came out at the end of the xbox1 life cycle so not too many people bothered to document which ones worked great & which didn't. Good luck smile.gif

Edited by Alex548, 02 July 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#6 updogg

updogg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

So what is the most straight forward mod chip that will allow me to use an unlocked hard drive? I am really only familiar with softmods that I have performed on 4 XBOXs as it was extremely simple. Thanks for all the information thus far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users