• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 slowlygoingcrazy

slowlygoingcrazy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hi, Ive just repaired a xbox with 3 red rings with just the x-clamps fix but it does seem that the heatsinks are getting a little to hot. Its a xbox from 2006 with both the old heatsinks, is it normall for a xbox with the old heatsinks to get real hot and quite quick too? they dont get soo hot that if you touch them you will burn yourself but not far from that.

thanks for the help

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

I am guessing that you have used high performance heatsink compound (such as Arctic Silver 5), the heatsinks get hot when there is no fan shroud to help them cool down a bit. Generally they are running hot but without fan shroud and fans on... even hotter!

#3 slowlygoingcrazy

slowlygoingcrazy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thanks MadMax, no I was not using a good thermal paste so that could be the main reason but i've got some coming so ill clean up and start again.

Thanks for the advice

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hot heat sinks are not necessarily bad. In fact, it's usually a good sign as the heat is being dissipated from the chip into the heat sink. However, if that heat cannot be moved from the heat sink, it can spell trouble for the system.

Like was said, make sure enough air is moving over the heat sinks to pull away the heat. Xenons run quite hot, so it's not abnormal for the system to produce a lot of heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users