X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Thank you for any and all help provided,

I picked up a used RGH\Slim and I had not played it much with it until this weekend. These is what I have come across

IT freezes sometimes, other times I get a black screen ( or it turns black). sometimes when it freeze the screen turns almost like a checkers board. (Squares pattern) It does this sometimes when I plug in USB devices. external HDD, Thumb drive, even once when I plugged in the controller keypad.

So I took the case off to look inside to see if maybe something was loose but I didn't see anything. I let nephew play it for a few hours(testing) with out case and it worked ok. Brought it back to my room assembled it back together played it the next day and again it started acting up. Now I took the case off again and the "sonbitch" doesn't seem to act up ??????? I am thinking the case might have something to do with the system freezing. Has anyone heard of these symptoms before?

2.0.15574.0 Dashboard
stock DVD FW
cool-runner
MFR Date 12-21-2010
no internal memory.

#2 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

Could be some kind of problem with the console, bad install or a bad cable or cable got pinched or bent to much, also could be the routing of the CPU RST cable.

Edited by BoNg420, 10 July 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#3 vicicarus

vicicarus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Thank you for the reply,

Do you think if I have my guy re-install the cool runner, that it wouldn't be an issue? ( if possible )? Or what would be a good recommendation to follow?

Just an FYI, since I posted I went to shower played 2 nba 2k games and it hasn't froze or acted up? ( no case )

#4 sizanx

sizanx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Maybe when you have the case on, it's short circuiting because of a component hitting the metal casing? Or heat issues.

#5 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Its most likely just the CPU RST cable.

i have had some slims be weird and freeze or not boot once I put them back together and it was usually just the CPU RST cable needed rerouting or replaced it with a 50ohm cable if it was still bothersome. I try to avoid using the 50ohm cable on installs if possible if the blue cable dont work then I move on to the 50ohm

maybe just replace the CPU RST cable with the 50ohm coax cable instead of the blue one..

I wouldn't use the 50ohm on a slim without the bottom QSB where u can choose the wire length though because the tension from that wire might rip off your CPU RST point on the bottom of the board with a bad move.

Edited by BoNg420, 10 July 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#6 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I had a Jasper RGH that would lock up a lot and just before the screen would turn kind of yellowish. It was the CPU RST wire. It also worked better horizontal and with the cover off. I fixed it by re-routing the CPU wire outside of the steel cage, along the bottom and back inside next to the chip through a vent hole.

#7 vicicarus

vicicarus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:01 AM

Thank you all for the help,

I am looking for pic which would indicate which wire is the CPU RST wire but I haven't come across it yet, could I get a little info on which wire it would be?

" A pic would greatly help "

Edited by vicicarus, 24 July 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#8 vicicarus

vicicarus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE(vicicarus @ Jul 23 2012, 07:01 PM)  

Thank you all for the help,

I am looking for pic which would indicate which wire is the CPU RST wire but I haven't come across it yet, could I get a little info on which wire it would be?

" A pic would greatly help "

I think I found my answer,

"The main issue is the CPU_RST wire which has to be up to 50cm long and then coiled underneath the motherboard. In many cases the positioning of the coil is a factor due to signal interference. Then you have to try different lengths it can be quite a headache, and contrary to what some other manufacturers may suggest, it is not due to the design of the CoolRunner but the install method itself is the key factor due to the amount of interference and difference in phase levels to get the glitch working reliably."

It is the semi "Think" wire that goes under that goes under the mother board. Sorry I didn't or have not done installs myself, only done simple dash updates.

#9 vicicarus

vicicarus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:56 AM

So I opened the slim to adjust the CPU RST wire and I saw this

IPB Image
Whats with the extra cable on the side? The RGH TUT I have doesnt show it like that? Could that be whats making it freeze?
Is it a repair?

Edited by vicicarus, 25 July 2012 - 01:58 AM.

#10 boflc

boflc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

can you take a similar picture of the top side, please?

#11 vicicarus

vicicarus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

IPB Image

#12 vicicarus

vicicarus

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

here is another one just in case you need a close up off coolrunner and side wire,
IPB Image
IPB Image

#13 GOTitCUZiMODDED

GOTitCUZiMODDED

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I've got a few of these in the past month and they all needed a reflow after no luck resoldering or hitting the wire length sweetspot. They all would also freeze with checkerboard screens (seen plenty of these in Xenons). The wire can work in that spot, but it's best to coil and tuck it back in or run it around the 4x xclamp posts. Please post your results.

#14 deilzfcjk

deilzfcjk

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:chicks, fixing my car and computers, working on websites, relaxing.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

honestly I do not how it even would ever work like that. Whoever sold it to you is an idiot. the wire coiled up like that is messed up and unprofessional looking. It's a time bomb. I don't know what the wire on the side is about. I've done 15 slims already. And they all boot within 10-30 seconds. I think only 1 or 2 took >1 min to boot. but, all the slims I've done do boot eventually. Good luck buddy.

#15 boflc

boflc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

first: boot the console naked like you have it: does it still freeze?

second, i haven't seen a slim freeze due to cpu-rst interference: i have seen a few jaspers like this, but not a slim.

this could easily be tested by pulling the rst wire up to the top side. if you aren't desoldering it, BE CAREFUL. if you are, i would recommend looping it around the fan top side.

boot it up again. does it still freeze?

third: FT1T7: this is a nand point for a cygnos install. i /think/ i can see that the others were also soldered to. don't know, but either it was a failed cygnos install /or/ a removed cygnos install. why the hell FT1T7 is soldered to ground, i don't know. (at least, it appears to be grounded on the edge plane). i don't think this'd cause it, but i don't have a schematic handy to map that point from, say, a xenon to a slim. maybe someone with a little time can check the schematic and reply.

finally: again, i haven't seen the freezing on a slim: the checkerboarding is particularly concerning, and i'm wondering (out loud) if it is the beginning of a hardware failure and would require repair.

err, finally part two: boot the console naked and crank the fan to 100%. does it still freeze?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users