• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rgri1694

rgri1694

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hi I'm new to this forum but after having a scroll through seemed to be the only place likely to help so does anyone know what problem would cause the headset mic to go extremely quiet? Can hear fine but mic only picks up when blowing straight into it, I've checked all. Settings and not muted or turned down in audio, I have changed the rol lights from green to blue could that do it? Its a cg2 board and I've tried testing anything that looks like a fuse with a multimeter but completley at a loss now. uhh.gif

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Easy way to figure out the cause of the problem: try the mic with another controller. If it works OK, it's the controller. If it doesn't, it's the mic.

I'd bet almost anything it's the controller as the mic is an incredibly simple piece of equipment.

#3 rgri1694

rgri1694

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yep tried it on my wifes controller and sure enough works fine, I don't suppose there would be a complete schematic for the cg2 pcb anywhere? It's like a fuse has gone or something the mic gets power but not enough,

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

I don't think you understand what a fuse does. A fuse is an upper limiter, not a amperage regulator.

I have never modded a controller and don't know a ton about how they're wired, but I'd guess you pulled off of the line that goes to the mic or messed up a resistor. If the mic gets power in the circuit after the RoL it's possible that the LEDs you used draw too much amperage and aren't letting enough get to the mic.

But I have no idea how the controller is laid out, so hopefully someone who does could shed a little more light on this.

#5 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hey

It could be that the leads to the mic plug hub need to be re-soldered to the main board of the controller.

If the that headset plug has gone in and out enough, it could have weakened the solder bond. Happens to TV's alot with their A/V plug ins

Cables pulled in and out often; weakening the solder joint. I've had to do this with two of my TV's

It could be something else too, but this is where I would start. You need a really good soldering iron for this repair. Not some flimsy 25 watt iron from Walmart. Factories use Non Leaded solder now, so you need higher temperatures to get it flowing.

The mic might be getting power, but it could be the Data lines have a weak joint

Keep me / all of us posted. I could be of further assistance

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

Swapping LEDs wouldn't cause that, unless you were wild with the replacing of them and have some solder splash somewhere it doesn't belong, or some part was knocked off the board in the process. Either the headset connector is causing the issue, or the MCU (big IC) is most likely the problem. I've yet to see a cold solder joint on the headset connector, and that is a valid thing to check out, but I have seen them messed up internally where a contact is 'sprung' and doesn't make a good enough connection, same problem as a cold solder joint sometimes, but different cause.

There's only a few parts between the MIC and the MCU, R10, R55, C10, C17, so make sure those are all in place or don't have any solder splash on them. It could even be a bad solder joint on the MCU causing it, really hard to tell without poking around in there a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users