#1 MattyBrom

MattyBrom

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a used 360 in which the fans weren't working.
After a bit of investigating I found that the fan socket on the mobo was shot.
I've done the 12v fan mod using the drive power cable and it works but its far too noisy.
I've now modded the fans with a usb lead to get the 5v and it works but will it overload the usb port on the back if its constantly on while the console is on? Thanks.

#2 Androxilogin

Androxilogin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'd imagine it may hinder your transfer speeds but as far as damage goes I wouldn't expect it. To be on the safe side though, I would gently remove traces on the under side of the motherboard with a small exacto knife and solder a bridging wire directly to the point to ensure it gets the required power. It doesn't noticeably change fan speed when inserting a memory stick or transferring files to it does it?

#3 MattyBrom

MattyBrom

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Cheers for the response.
I haven't installed the fans as of yet, just got them working out of the console at the mo, so not sure about transfer speeds, but I'll try them tonight after work.
Sorry if this is an obvious question but were should I be bridging to and from?

#4 Androxilogin

Androxilogin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'm sorry- I meant to say jumper wire. Same difference though. Examine the motherboard where the shot fan pins lead (under side). The two or four, follow where they end up. You may actually find the root of your cause instead of having to mess with soldering or lifting traces. I assume you work moderately well with an iron? Question also, does it have the original X-Clamps or the fix with nylon washers? Because if it has been tampered with that could be the leading cause of unworking fans- too much stress on the board or too less. You really need to twist and test with these type of things until they work correctly. I just ask because the thought of them being shorted seems unlikely. Is it working besides the fans? Audio/Video?

Edited by Androxilogin, 01 August 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#5 MattyBrom

MattyBrom

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yea the console works perfectly apart from the fans, and it still has the original x-clamps in place.
I'll have another look at the traces but when I first checked out the board I couldn't see any issue.

#6 MattyBrom

MattyBrom

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I checked out the board but again couldn't see a problem.
Transfer speeds don't seem to be any different with the USB fan installed but I have two 360's and the fan seems a lot quieter on the usb fan one, and its blowing very hot.
I've now read that the Stock fan powered normally fluctuates depending on the temp of the console. So as the usb method poses a risk of overheating I'm going to revert back to the 12v mod, also the USB ports are always on which means turning off at the hard to get to wall plug everytime.
Thanks for the help anyway.

#7 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

The fans draw nearly and amp of power. They should be connected to the main voltage rail on the far right side where the mosfets are. This requires soldering of course. The 12V can be dropped to around 9 or so very easily by adding diodes or even transistors in series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users