• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi Guys, after trying to acquire as much knowledge as possible before attempting a hard drive upgrade. I finally used Chimp installed as an app to the softmodded xbox running unleashx to install a 120gb seagate barracuda(ST3120022A)

Firstly I tried using xboxhdm 1.9 (linux iso) to make a drive after I'd backed up C and E drives from the xbox and used evox to get eeprom etc. But it would not lock the drive after files were copied, and said it was unlockable when I tried unlockhd. So I noticed on the hard drive chart compat people pointed out they locked using Config Magic. But I couldnt find a tut on Config magic so I left the hard with all the C and E drive files as was and looked up on how Chimp worked. And after reading about its hot swap method I installed it as an app and used it....

I run Chimp, set drive jumpers and swapped out the dvd ide cable etc and Chimp picked it up, but what I did was just locked the drive using motherboard eeprom method(I assumed this would be best) and it worked once new hard drive was put in, as the xbox booted to ms dash.... but here is the problem, the said xbox when was softmodded use to boot to the "set clock screen", and then it booted to the ms dash once clock was set. And after a few seconds you powered it down again and once switched on again it booted into unleashx(for whatever reason the softmodded xbox never booted to unleashx unless going through this process, once switched off for a while).... so once I'd done the Chimp thing I put in the new drive and it only booted to ms dash and not going through "set clock screen" and no unleashx when rebooted etc.

So I decided to put in original hard drive and use Chimp again only this time I'd run clone the slave to master method, but after booting chimp from unleashx and swapping out the dvd ide cable the screen went blank whilst booting to Chimp and the xbox has never booted properly again since. If i try the original hard drive in it gives me error 7.. and when I try the new hard drive in it gives me error 12. I tried both drives in a pc using xboxhdm 1.9 and the original is locked and I'm guessing the new drive is locked also as it freezes my pc on bootup and can't access bios, meaning the pc wont pick up hard drive and it has to be connected after pc boots when Cd is booting. I tried it with Hirens CD and Acronis disk suite tool wont pick up the barracuda, so it is locked, I think. The reason I had to use Hirens to check if it was locked was because xboxhdm unlock tool just says its "not locked-unlockable" all the time.

I know this is an awful lot of stuff to read through and understand correctly, but I'm hoping one of yous guys knows what happened.

Thanks smile.gif

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:01 AM

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right for the cloning process, however, you may have a "shadow C drive" in your softmod that will need to be bypassed before you clone the old drive.

To disable it, if there is one, boot your Xbox with an installer disc inserted, instead of booting it normally. Any installer disc (HeXEn, AID, Slayer's) will work. Once you boot off one of these discs, your Shadow C should be off, and you can then clone with chimp.

Also, just to prepare you for the worst, it sounds to me like your HD isn't lockable. Just a hunch tho.

#3 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi xboxmods, thanks for the help

I just tried HeXen and still nothing. I forgot to mention the dvd drive seems to not be working anymore(it wont eject no more), but I ejected it manually with paper clip to put in HeXen and still nothing..... would a dvd drive fail so easily? I obviously had to pull the ide cable out when using Chimp, would this be enough to kill the drive and not make the xbox boot?

Another thing though, why would it give me 2 different errors depending what drive I try to use in it? I now get Error 7 when booting with the original hard drive in, and Error 12 when trying with the newer hard drive. Remember both these worked before hand, I use to use the xbox with final burn for neogeo games for months with no problem, and after the attempted upgrade the barracuda did somewhat work as it booted but only to the ms dash. I'm starting to think, if only I'd have done the Chimp clone thing properly first time trying the hot swap then I wouldnt have had to try the hot swap again and wouldnt have this happen. It seemed to be the second attempt when Chimp just went blank and xbox never booted properly again since. Would putting 2 hard drives in with the same eeprom have anything to do with it?.. would the xbox have freaked out and maybe messed something up when I connected the barracuda a second time when booting Chimp, and maybe glitched up because of having to try to unlock the clone drive(same drive again) and got confused or something, I don't know.

Have you any other ideas I could try?

Thanks for help pal smile.gif

Edited by Dog Breath, 02 August 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 2 2012, 03:01 AM) View Post
To disable it, if there is one, boot your Xbox with an installer disc inserted, instead of booting it normally. Any installer disc (HeXEn, AID, Slayer's) will work. Once you boot off one of these discs, your Shadow C should be off, and you can then clone with chimp.

Not entirely true smile.gif. AID and Slayers don't bypass shadow C. Only HeXEn and Frosty's Rescue disc do that.

#5 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Aug 2 2012, 08:35 PM) View Post

Not entirely true smile.gif. AID and Slayers don't bypass shadow C. Only HeXEn and Frosty's Rescue disc do that.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't use installer discs (and never really have,) but I took a shot anyway, LOL.

QUOTE(Dog Breath @ Aug 2 2012, 06:21 PM) View Post

I forgot to mention the dvd drive seems to not be working anymore(it wont eject no more), but I ejected it manually with paper clip to put in HeXen and still nothing.....
Another thing though, why would it give me 2 different errors depending what drive I try to use in it? I now get Error 7 when booting with the original hard drive in...
Sounds like you may have damaged the IDE cable during the course of swapping drives back and forth. Try another IDE cable. The cables from PC's will work with a little Origami folding. This may get the drive to at least read a disc. Not sure why it won't eject without knowing exactly how much of the eject process is occurring. Could be a million reasons why the drive won't eject.
QUOTE(Dog Breath @ Aug 2 2012, 06:21 PM) View Post

...and Error 12 when trying with the newer hard drive.
Error 12 is an issue with the DVD-Rom drive DMA (communication), which could also point to a bad IDE cable, since both HD and DVD-Rom issues started at about the same time.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 03 August 2012 - 02:17 AM.

#6 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks again xboxmods smile.gif

I did a bit of reading on what it could have been, and seen others mention about trying another ide cable and messing with the "cable select" and "master" jumpers settings on hard drive etc.... I did these before making the thread and still nothing worked. Sorry, I should have mentioned that before.

I've took the drives and enclosures right out of the xbox and disconnected/reconnected the dvd power cable/ide cable again just to make sure all was connected properly, but still same errors. I didn't see any damage or anything on the cables or pins on ide motherboard plug. I looked real close and no visible damage. Although one thing that worried me was, I did have a hard time hot swapping the ide cable out of dvd and into the hard drive and may have slightly stuck a little part of the ide cable into the hard drive wrong for split second(in other words some pins may have touched the wrong holes on the cable).. would this short out something or mess something up?

Anyhow, considering both hard drives wont boot, it must be either the dvd drive or the logic board connector. So should I risk getting another dvd drive?... will any any replacement xbox1 dvd rom drive work?.. or should I just trash the whole thing? I still have the eeprom backed up and C and E drives etc, for whatever that's worth.

Also if the worse happens and I need another xbox, would I be able to unlock the locked barracuda using Chimp (or one of them boot disks) if the barracuda has an eeprom on it from another logic board?

Thanks smile.gif

Sorry for all the questions tongue.gif

#7 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(Dog Breath @ Aug 3 2012, 11:25 PM) View Post

I did have a hard time hot swapping the ide cable out of dvd and into the hard drive and may have slightly stuck a little part of the ide cable into the hard drive wrong for split second(in other words some pins may have touched the wrong holes on the cable).. would this short out something or mess something up?
It could potentially cause some damage, but your DVD-Rom drive would have been disconnected at that point, so no damage would have been done to that. You could have however damaged your consoles IDE controller tho, which may explain your problems. You would experience symptoms similar to those caused by using a bad IDE cable or having misplaced jumpers, even tho no such conditions exist.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 16 August 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#8 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Aug 16 2012, 07:35 PM) View Post

It could potentially cause some damage, but your DVD-Rom drive would have been disconnected at that point, so no damage would have been done to that. You could have however damaged your consoles IDE controller tho, which may explain your problems. You would experience symptoms similar to those caused by using a bad IDE cable or having misplaced jumpers, even tho no such conditions exist.

Thanks you for your help xboxmods

I think you're right.. the ide controller must have went on it. Been about a month now and I really miss final burn for neogeo games lol

Suppose I'll just look out for another cheap xbox and *maybe* try again tongue.gif

Thanks again pal smile.gif

#9 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

error 12, and error 7 can be caused by low power on the psu..

you should get a multimeeter and measure the power out on the yellow 12v lines and red 5v lines.
if they are low you will notice a small potentiomiter on the psu.
you can adjust that slightly untill you get the required voltages.

hopwever the error 7 Is more likley to be because the hard disk is not set as master "or was damaged some how",
and the error 12 is probably due to a dead pcb on the dvd drive OR the connecting power cable to the dvd is faulty.

a damaged ide controller on the xbox cannot be ruled out but it would generaly be the last suspect in my search for a culprate.

Edited by shambles1980, 24 August 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#10 Dog Breath

Dog Breath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the info shambles

I will get another xbox in time, and swap out components into the broken xbox and see if I've any luck getting it working again.

Thanks for all the help smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users