7 replies to this topic

#1 Janezki

Janezki

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hi all and greets from Finland!

Here's a little project that I actually finished a year ago already - so I think it's been tested and found to be quite good by now. smile.gif

So, let me introduce you a JTAGged Xenon which is sitting inside a Thermaltake LanBox Lite.

IPB Image

Other mods include:

-Twin Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2's for GPU & CPU.
Coolers welded to original Xenon CPU coolers' base.
IPB Image

Twin Coolink SWiF2 1201 fans at the rear.
IPB Image

2TB Samsung hd:
IPB Image

NZXT Sentry LX fan controller:
IPB Image

Temperatures seem to be pretty good for Xenon board and the system is very silent.

IPB Image

More pictures can be found ->here<-

Oh, I didn't use optical drive although it was first my intention. It's pretty useless in JTAG anyway, I can transfer data through LAN & USB, so that's enough for me.

#2 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Very nice, one of the better Xbox 360 in PC case mods that I've seen. Well done smile.gif

#3 guily666

guily666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Fuck XBox Live! Noobs pay, Noobs play, M$ say:<br />THANK U MISTER FOR MAKING ME A BILLION RICHER U FAG!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

I like it a LOT.

But are the temperatures reported by FSD almost the same as the ones you get in your fan controller on the CASE?
Keep Cool

#4 rilski

rilski

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

The coolers are FTW!!!

What a great concept on that.

I love this! great work dude!

#5 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&amp;Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Custom Power Button, 2TB HDD....! Sick! Nice system Janezki.

#6 Janezki

Janezki

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks guys! I like it myself very much too. smile.gif

The project began when I got my hands on a RRoDded box, which when fixed turned out to be JTAGgable.
I did the JTAG and started to think different ways to keep this precious running as long as possible.
Original case with more cooling wasn't sufficient, so bigger case was necessary.
By chance I found the TT LanBox case being sold in a Finnish pc-forum, liked the looks and checked the specs from Thermaltake website. When the case dimensions turned out to be suitable for XBOX mobo, I made a deal with the seller.

So, now that the case problem was solved, next thing in line was to solve the actual cooling.
Since there isn't really any custom cooling systems (apart from watercooling sets) available for the XBOX, it was time to think something different.
After a lot of measuring and surfing the cooler manufacturer sites I decided to use the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2's.
I had few V1 XBOX CPU coolers lying around which were used as a base for the AC Freezers to mount. I stripped the V1's metal heatsinks & pipes from the base, sanded them down and took the bases and Freezers to a local radiator repairer who welded them together (easy job for a pro!). biggrin.gif

With one dead Xenon mobo I started to fit it into the Lanbox. Some metalwork was needed, so I didn't want to expose the JTAG to any metal dust, dropped tools etc.
Mobo sits on original xbox bottom plate, which has been "extended" from the backplate (where the twin Coolink 120mm fans are) to the top of Lanbox case. Plus I can use all the original connectors at the rear without any unnecessary custom work.
The bottom plate acts as a mobo tray, which can be drawn out from the behind of the case if needed.

After fitting was done and fans assembled to the backplate, it was time to make few wire extensions; the SATA cable + power for the HDD, extension for ROL connection and for the USB ports.
At this point I discarded the intention to use the optical drive - mainly because I wanted something "fancy" for the frontplate of the LanBox and got my eyes set at the NZXT fan controller which is dual 5.25" sized, so it didn't leave any space for DVD drive anyway.
The ROL needed a little custom work and is actually turned 90 degrees clockwise for easy fitting.

Little tuning here and there, few more fans and temperature sensor placing etc. and the box was ready.
Fan controller temps (and we're talking about Celsius' here) aren't ofcourse the same as in FSD but you can get the roundabouts from them while ingame.

Edited by Janezki, 22 August 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#7 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Haha cool mod (pardon the pun)

Looks like you've effectively solved the Xenon's overheating issue to say the least. Very cool project cool.gif

#8 iwanttheagrocrag

iwanttheagrocrag

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:SMC hacking, TSOP, (Offline) game modification, Case modification, Bacon, America, Monster trucks
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

I can guarantee that will be one of a hand-full of the last Xenons still alive ten years from now. hahaha Spectacular case modification. Props to you

Edited by iwanttheagrocrag, 30 August 2012 - 05:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users