Photo

My 360 Is Able To Be Jtag'd; Rgh Or Jtag?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaddyLongLegs

DaddyLongLegs

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Sorry if any of these questions seem dumb; understand that I have flashed many XBOX DVD drives in the past; it was usually pretty easy because JungleFlasher's website always had the newest guides available, and a lot of my confusion now comes from hearing so many different things from so many different sources.

I was able to JTAG my fat 360 because I literally stored it in a closet for ages, knowing that updating it is a bad idea (since I am into modding). I did the same thing with my launch PS3, and I turned out to be right in both instances smile.gif

I did the JTAG on my 360 quite a while ago, following a guide from the NAND-X website I bought it from. After many hours, I finally got everything working. Then I had some issues with the 360 all of a sudden not booting, and I opened it back up to see what was up. One of the points ripped the trace off the motherboard somehow, and I have been upset with myself ever since.

I got lucky enough to just come across a 360 a friend gave to me for free because I did a huge favor for him. I said it was not necessary but he insisted. Anyway I'm glad I accepted because it was on dashboard "2.0.7371.0" which from the guide I'm looking at now, is the exact dashboard I am allowed to be up to!

Unfortunately however it seems as though the team-xecuter guide says differently. The system in question is a Jasper with "no internal memory" (it has the white DVD tray), meaning it has a 16M NAND. The team-xecuter guide says I can only be up to dashboard 6712 on this system. Is this true? I hope not sad.gif

Anyway, I was wondering. Is doing a JTAG "better" than RGH? Is there any pro or con to either one when I possibly have the option of doing both?

Thanks so much guys and sorry for all the questions and long post smile.gif

Edited by DaddyLongLegs, 17 August 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#2 boflc

boflc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

first, jtagable dash:

it's not the dashboard revision that matters, it's the second bootloader (CB) that does. jaspers with a CB of 6712 or 6723 are able to be exploited via the smc/jtag hack. there are (or were) some 7371 jaspers that were manufactured after 6/20/2009 that had a CB of 6750 /and/ there were some 7357/7363/7371 jaspers that were serviced by microsoft after 3/31/2009 that had a CB of 6750. i will never forget the time that i had an april09 console in my hands that a friend had bought at a premium .. and it wasn't exploitable.

so.. what's the manufacture date of the console?

onto jtag vs. rgh:

/depends/. really. if you want to dual boot at some point (live on one nand, homebrew on another), then rgh is the only way to go.

jtags are, in general, more reliable in terms of booting -- but on fat rgh1 machines the difference is pretty much non-existent. there's no interference to deal with, either, when it comes to jtags. that said, using shielded & grounded coax on cpu-rst pretty mcuh alleviates any interference issues.

also, while there hasn't been any report of repeated glitch attempts causing harm to a console, i guess it could would be possible.

personally, i use a jasper jtag for offline play and a corona 4gb (phison) for live play. i've got kids and i'd hate to get a console banned for not having switched a homebrew hard drive out of a dual-nand system.

-b

#3 DaddyLongLegs

DaddyLongLegs

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

You are very kind for responding to me smile.gif

My 7371 dashboard console was made in 2008 smile.gif

#4 Misterturtle

Misterturtle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

I would suggest going with the jtag option then. Rgh costs more due to having to buy coolrunner and nand-x. On top of that, rgh isn't as reliable as jtags because of interference, so the boot times are a bit random. Jtags boot instantly.

You can do everything on a jtag that you can on an rgh with the exception of dual nand. With rgh you can have a dual nand. One with the rgh, and one capable of live.

#5 DaddyLongLegs

DaddyLongLegs

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Misterturtle @ Sep 3 2012, 12:29 AM) View Post

I would suggest going with the jtag option then. Rgh costs more due to having to buy coolrunner and nand-x. On top of that, rgh isn't as reliable as jtags because of interference, so the boot times are a bit random. Jtags boot instantly.

You can do everything on a jtag that you can on an rgh with the exception of dual nand. With rgh you can have a dual nand. One with the rgh, and one capable of live.

Thanks again. Only thing is even when I do a jtag I'd end up buying a Nand-X smile.gif

#6 deilzfcjk

deilzfcjk

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:chicks, fixing my car and computers, working on websites, relaxing.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

you don't have to buy a nandx. you could buy any usb based nand reader/writer. Just throwing it out there. Maximus makes kits too. you could also go PIC18f2455 if you wanted to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users