Photo

Hdmi To Vga Converter - Power Draw Okay For 360?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RafeDonson

RafeDonson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

I bought a HDMI to VGA converter for my Raspberry Pi, but it was suggested that the Pi couldn't handle the 500mah power draw the device uses. So I bought a powered one, and am using the converter on my 360. It gives a slightly sharper picture than straight HDMI to HDMI, with the advantage I don't have to muck about with leads to play games such as Stubbs the Zombie which don't run in VGA.

My question is, is the power draw of 500mah going to be okay on my 360? I'd imagine so but I don't want to risk damaging it.

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Are you plugging it into the USB port of the 360? USB standard dictates 500mA current to be supplied at maximum. By all accounts, I believe the 360 adheres to this standard, so you should be OK. If you didn't get enough current, your adapter would likely not work correctly.

#3 RafeDonson

RafeDonson

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Aug 19 2012, 09:09 PM) View Post

Are you plugging it into the USB port of the 360? USB standard dictates 500mA current to be supplied at maximum. By all accounts, I believe the 360 adheres to this standard, so you should be OK. If you didn't get enough current, your adapter would likely not work correctly.

No, it takes power from the HDMI port, with no USB connection, and it seems to be working fine.

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

500mA from HDMI? From what I can find, the most the HDMI spec allows is 50mA. You sure it really needs 500mA?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users