• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 really_Wacky

really_Wacky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

I want to mod 2 xbox 360's with red led's a local store can order these LED's without shipping cost. But there are so many SMD's i dont know witch to choose. Will these onces be good?

LINK (230mcd)
Because there is also 800mcd witch seems like way to mutch.

What i want:

1. Bright RED LED's i can solder in my xbox's and controllers.
2. White/Blue what ever color as error LED.

This is the site where the local store can get them from, if anyone could help me choose between the 100 options biggrin.gif

FARNELL

Thanks in advance biggrin.gif

#2 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

They seem pretty good...

Im thinking better than the ones i get from Niktronix (or Lighthouse now.)

I usually get these and they seem decent.. Wonder what brighter ones would do..?

LEDS from lighthouse

#3 really_Wacky

really_Wacky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(dopesun @ Aug 23 2012, 09:20 PM) View Post

They seem pretty good...

Im thinking better than the ones i get from Niktronix (or Lighthouse now.)

I usually get these and they seem decent.. Wonder what brighter ones would do..?

LEDS from lighthouse

Thanks they look exactly the same as these ones to me: LINK

Also i need different sized onces for the LED's in the middle right?

#4 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:06 AM

you can use the 0805's too.. they r a bit bigger..

#5 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

I usually buy from phenoptix.com

Type: 0603
You can buy from other places that have 0603 LEDs (or equivalent, I've personally never experimented)
Just ensure that if you're going to be modding newer controllers, check the specs of the LEDs from the website. They should have an operating forward voltage of 2.3v or less to work with newer controller boards. Older boards output more power, but not by much.

In therms of Phenoptix specifically, purple doesn't work on controllers, and blue dims down on low battery, but besides that I've been satisfied with them.

IPB Image

Here's a rf board pic for reference. To get different color error lights, you'll need to get power from the common positive to the positive pole of your error LEDs. My recommendation would be to skip having different error colors because it could end up being more work than its worth, just to spruce up how your box looks when it fails. If you still want to see error lights, you can solder on your new LEDs and bridge the negative points.

Good luck on your project

Happy modding

#6 really_Wacky

really_Wacky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

i forgot to say that it a slim, i also want to do a phat but i have a spare RF board so i wont be soldering the error LED smile.gif

#7 adimifus

adimifus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(GoTeamScotch @ Aug 29 2012, 01:53 AM) View Post

In therms of Phenoptix specifically, purple doesn't work on controllers, and blue dims down on low battery, but besides that I've been satisfied with them.

Agghh... Its been driving me crazy as to why I couldn't swap the green controller LEDs with purple ones. Nowhere I looked before now said anything about purple LEDs not working on some controllers. I tried a different color (pink-- which looks close enough to purple for me anyway and am happy with the results) and it works fine now. I went through too many purple leds thinking they were bad or I messed them up soldering. What controllers work with the purple LEDs, anyway?

#8 iwanttheagrocrag

iwanttheagrocrag

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:SMC hacking, TSOP, (Offline) game modification, Case modification, Bacon, America, Monster trucks

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(adimifus @ Aug 29 2012, 04:39 PM) View Post

Agghh... Its been driving me crazy as to why I couldn't swap the green controller LEDs with purple ones. Nowhere I looked before now said anything about purple LEDs not working on some controllers. I tried a different color (pink-- which looks close enough to purple for me anyway and am happy with the results) and it works fine now. I went through too many purple leds thinking they were bad or I messed them up soldering. What controllers work with the purple LEDs, anyway?

Wow that sucks you spent that time on the purple LEDs. HOw the heck were you supposed to know. Damn

#9 GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE(iwanttheagrocrag @ Aug 30 2012, 09:42 AM) View Post

Wow that sucks you spent that time on the purple LEDs. HOw the heck were you supposed to know. Damn

Yeah its actually a problem I didn't find out til later on. After going through a few sources. >:(

I eventually found out by getting a multimeter and testing the voltage of the controller and checking that with the specs on each company's website.

Red and orange are usually great to use, but colors like purple have been really iffy.

If anyone's found a source on some I'd love a link!

#10 LastNurd

LastNurd

X-S Enthusiast

• Validating
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

What SMD LEDs are the original ones??
Thx

#11 Weirdjerz3y

Weirdjerz3y

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

original in what? The controller is 0603, and the xbox ring of light is replaced with 0603, maybe even 1 size bigger.

#12 tryintomod

tryintomod

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Modding
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

The stock size on the controller is 0603. MCD should definitely be taken with a grain of salt. I always use 0603's on the controllers, but on the board (phat) I use and recommened 0805's. They are much easier to work with and can put out a little more light as well. I mostly use them because of the slightly larger size making them a TON easier to install and faster.

As far as the statement on the uv and blue leds. You can look at it this way. The original yellowish green leds have a forward voltage of about 2.0 volts. With that said, the controller is likely setup to run this specific led and not a "3v" led. Here is the color/voltage breakdown. This is general/rule of thumb. Please check tech specs for more detailed info:

2v: Orange, Red, Yellow, yellow/green (original xbox color)
3v: All other colors, uv and blue being among the more demanding colors and are generally of the dimmest in led nature as well.

When you put a 3v led in place of a 2v led you can be right on the boarder line of how it should operate. This is why when you put in a play and charge your leds will light up to max brightness or more with a "3v" led. This is when the voltage in the controller is up a little bit.

I hope this helps clear things up.

dopesun: thanks for the good word. We have worked hard to try and provide the best items and variety, coupled with service, and speedy delivery.

Edited by tryintomod, 28 September 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#13 TheGlow

TheGlow

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(adimifus @ Aug 29 2012, 06:39 PM) View Post

Your not alone. Just did this yesterday.
RF board I put blue power and 4 purples.
Then on controller I put a purple, nothing. And it was a wireless controller so everytime I wanted to test it I had to hold the battery pack up to it and then short the power button on.
After a while I removed it and tried P2, p3 and p4, nothing. Broke 2 when trying and lifted the lower pad on player 3. Tested with multimeter and confirmed power going through.
Then I decided to wire up the pads to test individual lights. blue worked good. put purple back, nothing.
Then quick google said purple needs more power, explains why was fine on the RF board.
so i opted for 1 Blue, 2 red, 3 red, 4 blue.
Also noted when putting AA's batts and not the rechargable, purple did light up, but incredibly dim.
When playing around on the rf board I did notice if I ground the negative, the LEDs lit up 3x or more brighter.
Im guessing the purples would be good in a wired controller, Arcade stick setup.

#14 tryintomod

tryintomod

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Modding
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

The old matrix controllers are about the only good wireless controllers for purple. Maybe I should say the best. They do require more voltage in order to operate. It isn't much, you are talking about a tenth or two of a volt. The other issue is that purple is a naturally dim color, so even at full brightness it won't be as bright as some of the other colors. There isn't really a good way around it unless you use a play and charge all the time or have a wired controller.

Note: They do work well in the RF Modules though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users