#1 Robthebuilder07

Robthebuilder07

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hi everyone! First off, here's my setup: I have an hp pavilion dv6-1355dx laptop and an original xbox 360. So for my first project ever involving an xbox 360, I plan on combining them both into one unit. I'm doing this for several reasons, 1) because I'm on the move a lot and don't own a tv (I'm using my friend's at his house) and want to be able to play skyrim wherever, 2) I have too much free time and want a project to work on, and 3) it would be badass. I already have an idea as how to get everything together, such as combining the psu's and combining them to work on one display, but I have one question before I begin. Would it be possible to rewire the screen to be able to receive signals from both the gpu of the laptop and the gpu of the 360? As far as I know from about half an hour of googling this hasn't been done before, either because it wasn't attempted or it just simply can't be done. I also know that laptop screens work differently from regular screens, and won't work without working with the internals of the laptop. However, I'm wondering if it will work with a 360, since the screen will be connected directly to the laptop AND the 360.

Any input is appreciated! laugh.gif Whenever I get started, which should be soon, I'll get a build log started and have some pics for you guys

#2 Whiskers

Whiskers

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to seeing your completed photos of this.

Here is what I would suggest, bear in mind that wiring or soldering is not my thing smile.gif

Since you'll have to make a custom case for this anyways, as there isn't room in a laptop case for an xbox 360 as well, I would ditch the laptop monitor complety and pickup a normal 17 or 19 inch monitor that sports dual inputs. (Personal choice would be a 19inch LED with DVI and HDMI inputs).

The laptop should have some video output, either VGA or DVI. Connect that to the DVI port of the monitor. Then for the XBOX 360 use the DVI port and connect to the DVI port of the monitor. The monitors typically have an option to toggle between the video inputs.

#3 Robthebuilder07

Robthebuilder07

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(Whiskers @ Sep 2 2012, 12:43 PM) View Post

Sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to seeing your completed photos of this.

Here is what I would suggest, bear in mind that wiring or soldering is not my thing smile.gif

Since you'll have to make a custom case for this anyways, as there isn't room in a laptop case for an xbox 360 as well, I would ditch the laptop monitor complety and pickup a normal 17 or 19 inch monitor that sports dual inputs. (Personal choice would be a 19inch LED with DVI and HDMI inputs).

The laptop should have some video output, either VGA or DVI. Connect that to the DVI port of the monitor. Then for the XBOX 360 use the DVI port and connect to the DVI port of the monitor. The monitors typically have an option to toggle between the video inputs.

Either way I'm going to build a new case to house both the laptop and 360, but I don't exactly want to buy another monitor when I could potentially use the laptop one. I guess I'll have to take apart the laptop and see if the screen can be rewired to support an extra input from the 360. Although, I may just invest in a bigger screen that supports 1080p, and that will give me a bit more room to work with on the part of the case that will house the internals.

Edited by Robthebuilder07, 03 September 2012 - 05:30 AM.

#4 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

You can either buy an LCD controller board that is compatible with the LCD from your laptop, or you can do what Whiskers said and buy a new screen entirely. Here's an example of a controller board: http://www.ebay.com/...=item4167890cee . Those are your only options, there's no way to merge the video signal with pure wiring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users