Photo

Question About Voltages Etc (rdc Have A Look) :)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hugh117

hugh117

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

Hello guys & gals,

Been a long time member i just hardly ever post. I have a quick question though... I just purchased one of these >> (It may be a PS3 controller but hear me out lol ) http://www.amazon.co...3/dp/B005AK858E

It is quite simply great piece of kit, although i don't want to be buying rechargeable batteries constantly for it and there is apparently a rechargeable pack coming out for this controller but there is no sign of that :/

So what i want to know is if it would be possible to wire a DS3 battery or an xbox controller battery into this? Though it would be worth a shot really smile.gif

Im a dab hand with the soldering iron if i say so myself tongue.gif lol I just wouldn't have a clue where to start unsure.gif

#2 hugh117

hugh117

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

It just dawned on me to post some details unsure.gif

On the back of the Giotec it states DC 2.4V - 3V..If that is any help to anyone lol

#3 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

Why would you constantly be buying Rechargeable batteries? The whole deal with those are they can be recharged and used again and again. wink.gif

The PS3 pack is a 3.7v Li-Ion while the 360 pack is a 2.7v Ni-MH. The voltages of either of those packs wouldn't be the real issue though.

I'd consider the PS3 battery out as it's Li-Ion, and they need to be charged with a Li-Ion charger or nasty things can happen, so that would mean adding a charger into the controller as well. It would also have half the run time of a set of Rechargeable AA in that controller as it's not a big battery.

You'd really be reinventing the wheel using a 360 battery pack, as it's just 2 x AA Rechargeable batteries anyway, so there's a pile of cosmetic and mechanical work to get the packs to be used like on the 360 controllers.

With the 360 packs, you'd probably also want to have a quick charger to keep either 2 packs charged up while one was in the controller, or one charged while the other one was in the controller. Either way there, I don't see any real pay off versus getting a decent charger that can do 4 batteries at once, so you always have a fresh set on hand there and no work at all done to the controller. Don't get me wrong, hack away on her if you like, I just don't see the 360 packs being any kind of improvement over a normal 4 cell charger and then 6 decent rechargeable batteries so it always has a set ready to go.

Edited by RDC, 12 September 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#4 hugh117

hugh117

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the reply smile.gif , I think ill take your advice and stick with the rechargeable batteries, because i would be in way over my head in all honesty blink.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users