armickha512

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hi all,

Firstly sorry for any lack of information in my question as I am asking this on behalf of a friend.

He bought an xbox 360 at a boot sale for 3 with a jammed drive hoping to fix it. It turns out that the console had the open tray error. When He opened the console (the previous owner had already voided the warrenty and opened it before) he discovered that the disc doesn't even spin.

Is there any way to fix this, I have already tried relubericating the motor and it hasn't helped at all.

I do not know much about the console except it was serviced by microsoft in early 2008 and the drive is a hitachi 47.

#2 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

If the disc won't spin, it probably needs a new spindle motor.

I could also be a dead optic. Actually I'd say replace the optic first. When the system sees that its attempting a read; it then signals the spindle to activate

That's a place to start. Those things aren't hard if you have a good sense for what you are doing.

I could also be some power reg problems - but put that low on the list.

Hitachi - yeah - I actually come across a few of those that had seized up spindle motors.

If it helps most Hitachi and Samsung parts are inter-changeable

#3 armickha512

armickha512

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I also noticed that the small black pin/spacer parts of the spindle (the part the disc sits on) were bent out of shape slightly and the disc wasn't balanced well. I straightened them out and the disc now spins, but the laser now makes a grinding buzzing noise. After that the disc spins and stops repeatedly until the open tray displays on the screen.

Should I replace the laser or would it make more sense to replace the whole drive as I suspect there are other issues with it?

I would of thought microsoft would would have put a benq or liteon in there back when they serviced it in 2008, I was suprised to find the old hitachi 47in it.

Edited by armickha512, 10 September 2012 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users