• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sharptarget

sharptarget

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

I have soldered many wires before but never a circui9t board and I was modding my Xbox controller and a trace wire came undone and I'm trying to fix it. I have soldered the wire with a new wire but I cant seem to get the solder to stick to TP39 which is the A button. The solder came off of the board at TP39 and now I cant seem to get the solder to stick to that point Ive tried everything I know of and did multiple google searches nothing is working so I figured I'd tried to ask the experts here. I have use heat from 15-75 watts nothing is working. Thanks in advance.

#2 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

pics...

and.. Use flux as well as scrape the trace with either a fiberglass pen or a xacto blade...

also.. after you scrape the trace and apply flux.. put heat to the trace (not the solder) and push the solder onto the heated trace.. it should should "tin" the trace allowing you to solder your wire..

also.. tin your wire tip..

Edited by dopesun, 09 September 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#3 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like you may have pulled the copper off the test pad. Find the trace going to it that still has copper and do as above. 15-20 watts is enough for this type of work.

#4 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Sep 11 2012, 06:50 AM) View Post

Sounds like you may have pulled the copper off the test pad. Find the trace going to it that still has copper and do as above. 15-20 watts is enough for this type of work.

Yah.. It might be that also.. Id like to see a pic first before i say something like that..

#5 sharptarget

sharptarget

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for the advice and yes I did fix it just like you all said. It's working like new now thanks all.

#6 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

NP no Problem.. You might wanna add a bit of electrical tatape to the wire or hot glue so it stays secure..

#7 tryintomod

tryintomod

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

I would recommend some 30awg if you need to attach some wire to it. Make sure you are trying to solder to the copper slightly under the green layer on the board or it definitely will not stick. If need be, you may need to scrape a little away with a razor blade (be careful). Once you have copper exposed then you need to be sure the surface is nice and clean. Make sure you use solder with flux so that it helps it stick/flow better. If yours don't have flux, you can pick up flux separately and add it. That should do the trick. Just be patient and you will get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users