7 replies to this topic

#1 thefunkygibbon

thefunkygibbon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hi guys,

I know this has been asked a bunch of times before but i'm just wanting to get a better idea of what specifically could be the issue before i go an order a bunch of parts for it

basically i get the usual "open tray" message when i put a disk in the drive. doesnt matter if its a cd or dvd or game.

it makes a whirr and a tiny spin noise and gives up as soon as you put a disk in.

i've removed all the covers and tweaked dvd pot but made no diff.

as far as i can tell the things which can be knackered are

* worm motor
* main motor
* laser

to test the worm motor i've read that you have to move the laser "head" block up and down and it should be smooth.... is that right? I've tried to do this and it is just clicking like it is on some kind of cog based thing.

main motor... well the spindle spins if i push it manually with fingers. and it does spin a tiny amount when it tray goes in. could it be that thats broke?

laser... well its not reading disks.

so based on this what would you say would be the first thing to replace and i'll get it ordered off of ebay.

thank you for reading and potentially replying with help smile.gif

#2 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

One of the best things to do is watch it run.

Take the shell off the drive. Make sure nothing of the logic board makes contact with any other metal. You don't want to short it.

Plug back in the power and data cables.

You'll also need the top half of the spindle motor. The plastic and metal piece in the top of the shell. It will need to be on top of the disc while running.

So - just watch it run. If you continually see the red dot, the laser is running.

Given what you've said, I bet the laser is not working properly

#3 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

More than 50% of the bad lasers I see still light up. These are extremely sensitive pieces of crap.
Even if the laser diode isn't dead, it's still most likely the problem.

#4 thefunkygibbon

thefunkygibbon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

cool. i've already had it running and i see the light of the laser flash. But as you say it still could be broken.

I'll look at getting a laser kit ordered then.

The fact the worm rail thing clicks , is that not cause for concern or is that normal?

#5 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

One problem I have seen with Open Tray slims is the laser gets stuck in the back of the drive and once brought forward it will play again but then it gets stuck again and again over and over. I dont know what causes this problem if its either a problem with the PCB or one of the motors perhaps? I have messed with a few of these drives and after ejecting and closing and ejecting and closing....the laser keeps inching its way to the back of the drive until it gets stuck. It seems normal behavior is for the laser to be close to the center spindle and when you eject and close it will move back and forth really quick but stay by the center spindle and then light up for a second and then the spindle motor will spin really quick.

#6 thefunkygibbon

thefunkygibbon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Sep 12 2012, 01:26 PM) View Post

One problem I have seen with Open Tray slims is the laser gets stuck in the back of the drive and once brought forward it will play again but then it gets stuck again and again over and over. I dont know what causes this problem if its either a problem with the PCB or one of the motors perhaps? I have messed with a few of these drives and after ejecting and closing and ejecting and closing....the laser keeps inching its way to the back of the drive until it gets stuck. It seems normal behavior is for the laser to be close to the center spindle and when you eject and close it will move back and forth really quick but stay by the center spindle and then light up for a second and then the spindle motor will spin really quick.

thanks, I don't think mine is getting stuck at the back as it doesnt seem to matter where you start it off at , the whole laser doesnt actually move anywhere which is what is making me think there is an issue with the worm motor.

#7 thefunkygibbon

thefunkygibbon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

agh, ok well i've now replaced the laser, worm motor and guide arm and its still doing exactly the same thing.

heeeeeeeelp? sad.gif (yes i've taken the solder off of the laser)

i guess the only thing it could be may be the board is knackered or something, maybe the previous owner completely knackered up a flash? (what would be the symptoms of that?)

Edited by thefunkygibbon, 25 September 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#8 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(thefunkygibbon @ Sep 25 2012, 04:01 PM) View Post

agh, ok well i've now replaced the laser, worm motor and guide arm and its still doing exactly the same thing.

heeeeeeeelp? sad.gif (yes i've taken the solder off of the laser)

i guess the only thing it could be may be the board is knackered or something, maybe the previous owner completely knackered up a flash? (what would be the symptoms of that?)

Did you replace the dvd tray belt? if it is woren out, u will get the same message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users