Photo

Pretty Sure My Xbox 360 Is Dead, Options?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andrewwelton

Andrewwelton

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Was hoping someone could help me find out what my best option moving forward is.

I've got an Xbox 360 with one of the original Samsung Drives (MS25 iirc) on iXtreme.

My Xbox 360 did RROD a few years back, it was the GPU error where I would get pink lines down my screen. This was during the period in time where everyone thought the X-Clamps were the problem, so I did the fix associated with that. It worked and my xbox worked flawlessly for a few more years.

Now I'm at the point where no matter what I do, it's always pink lines down my screen. I've tried reflowing the xbox several times to no avail. So I'm fairly sure it's dead.

I would prefer not to lose all my games etc that I've accumulated over the years. What would my best option be at this point?

Buy a new Xbox? Try to buy a second hand one that's J-Tagged or hope the drive is easily flashable?

Or would it be worth it to buy a slim and J-Tag that? Since apparently that's possible now?

Or is there some sort of fix I can do on my current Xbox?

Thanks!

#2 smuddge37

smuddge37

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

if you are still using an xbox 360 with original ms25 drive in it, you got your moneys worth out of it. I would see if i could find a jasper that someone is selling on craigslist (perhaps one that isn't reading disks and has never been opened) that would be cheapest option.
if you can't find that get a slim with a flashable drive.

#3 Andrewwelton

Andrewwelton

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Which Slims have a flashable drive? What would I be looking for?

From what I've seen looking around Slim flashing isn't the easiest thing to do

#4 Andrewwelton

Andrewwelton

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

From what I can see I want a slim with a Lite-On DG-16D4S and buy a Sputnik.

How can I tell before buying if I'm getting one?

#5 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

Really

It sounds like you need to have your Gpu chip either Reballed or professionally reflowed.

Pink lines you are having are a type of artifact generated from the Gpu chip.

#6 Weirdjerz3y

Weirdjerz3y

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

That console actually doesnt sound it cost much to fix. A new reballed gpu is $15 on ebay, so you can buy it and give the gpu and the console to a pro from this site to install it for you.

#7 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

The chip already on board can be reballed.

Lifted and reballed .... I do that on a regular basis.

Sometimes a replacement chip has to be bought

#8 Weirdjerz3y

Weirdjerz3y

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

You can do wilgo method too. When I reball any xbox i get i prefer just buying a gpu as most xboxs i have gotten always have 0020-0021-0022 with the x-clamp fix done, so if i reball it, its likely not going to last as long, so i just take the precaution and replace it. Now if its never been opened or its be pro reflowed many times and doesnt work anymore, than usually you can just reball the one already there. Also i don't replace the gpu if the error code has little chance of being error with gpu, such as E73. But your choice, you can reball it, replace it, or just buy a new one.

#9 Andrewwelton

Andrewwelton

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

I actually managed to get it going again myself... somehow :S

No idea how long it'll last, but it's good to know I do still have some options available. Thanks guys!

#10 boxgames

boxgames

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:<a href="http://www.vdealbox.com/wii-accessories.html">wii accessory</a>
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE(Andrewwelton @ Sep 15 2012, 05:39 PM) View Post

Was hoping someone could help me find out what my best option moving forward is.

I've got an Xbox 360 with one of the original Samsung Drives (MS25 iirc) on iXtreme.

My Xbox 360 did RROD a few years back, it was the GPU error where I would get pink lines down my screen. This was during the period in time where everyone thought the X-Clamps were the problem, so I did the fix associated with that. It worked and my xbox 360 controller worked flawlessly for a few more years.

Now I'm at the point where no matter what I do, it's always pink lines down my screen. I've tried reflowing the xbox several times to no avail. So I'm fairly sure it's dead.

I would prefer not to lose all my wii accessories games etc that I've accumulated over the years. What would my best option be at this point?

Buy a new Xbox? Try to buy a second hand one that's J-Tagged or hope the drive is easily flashable?

Or would it be worth it to buy a slim and J-Tag that? Since apparently that's possible now?

Or is there some sort of fix I can do on my current Xbox?

Thanks!

I'm not mad at this, I mad at the dlc being MP modes..lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users