• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 loyol2degame

loyol2degame

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

I'm pretty new to the whole modding scene, so excuse my noob-ness. I softmodded my Xbox a few weeks ago, but I accidentally removed the xboxdash.xbe from my C: drive (I have a backup of it on my PC). Because of this, my Xbox boots, and then gives me Error 21. It won't load any discs, and won't let me access any dashboard, and I can't FTP to it to fix it. I have been looking up how to fix Error 21, and I haven't found anything that helped too much.

I also have an Xecuter 3 CE mod chip, and a 250GB hard drive, both of which I am hoping to install in the Xbox. I have found pretty good tutorials on how to install the chip, but what I'm wondering is whether or not I can simply install the chip, boot the Xbox with the new HDD, and have the chip format and prepare the new HDD for me? Or will the chipped Xbox just boot up the same way it does now, and not allow me to do anything?

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this?

#2 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

You'll need to flash the chip with an appropriate bios and boot the console with a disc like HeXEn which will also prepare and format the new hdd.

#3 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

If you have the knowledge and necessary skill to fit the chip that has to be your best and simplest way to start fixing the problems.

Assuming the DVD drive is OK the chip will allow you to run Hexen or a rescue disc. Not done it myself so I can't give you first hand advice but this is what is usually recommended. Always listen to Idotsfan, Heimdall or one of the other real experts here, they have an unequalled depth of knowledge in all things Xboxy.

However I would suggest fitting the chip and sorting out the existing problem completely first on your retail(?) HDD before doing any HDD upgrade. One thing at a time.

Two future suggestions:-

1). Ideally use Hexen to install a protected installation so that it is more difficult to delete an important .xbe accidentally.

2). Not so important with a chipped machine but always keep the Splintercell (or AUF/MechAssault) exploit/installer gamesaves on the HDD. They act as a safety net because with most errors you should still be able to cold boot the game and get to the installer dash with its very useful FTP capability. Far easier than any alternative.

Oh, yes: final thing: never delete a dashboard .xbe and particularly do not touch a xboxdash.xbe unless you're certain about what you're doing. Always rename it to something bootable first rather than delete.

Edited by fallenangle, 17 September 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#4 loyol2degame

loyol2degame

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Thanks, I realize now how dumb what I did was. As far as flashing the chip goes, is it an easy process? And is there a certain bios that you would recommend I use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users