• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drtongue96

drtongue96

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Hi! I'm new, just picked up an 'already soft-modded' xbox with XBMC pre-loaded on it. It's a version 1.6 XBOX.

Here's what I was able to do:
I was able to upgrade XBMC to Version 3.2, it was using the old 9.?.
I can FTP to it.

I do NOT know how it was soft-modded.

I have a 320gb drive that I would like to install. I have a general idea on how to do it, but I could use a more clear path. There is a LOT of junk on it's E:\ drive. When I was trying to prepare an hboxhdm 1.9 disk, I noticed this.

What I would like it is a nice clean empty xbox with just XBMC (latest version) as it's dash. I will install emulators and all that later.

I was thinking Hexen would be a good way to do it, but don't know if Hexen can help me with the hard drive upgrade. I have downloaded the disc, burned it, and made sure it works. (it boots).

Please help me!
What I don't understand is the hard drive 'key' and all that. I did copy the files from the xbox on to my computer so i have the information. And is there a way to find out what type of mod I have? or is that even important.

I would like this to be as easy as possible.

#2 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

if its a 1.6 xbox. And it does not have an actuall physicall chip installed.. then its soft modded..

you would then need the eeprom.bin from your xbox to your pc.
and you have hexen so thats a good start..

please verify that there is no physicall mod chip inatlled on the xbox and let us know so we can continue to help.

#3 drtongue96

drtongue96

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

thx for replying. the guy i bought it off of didn't know either, but according to his email he thinks it was soft-modded using "MechAssault save exploit", but he wasn't sure.

Anyways, I kind of buggered it up. I did the xboxhdm thing whereby I copied the eeprom.bin file to the eeprom folder, the c folder and e folder, and made the iso, burned it. all appeared to work. hooked it up to my computer and loaded up the new drive, that appeared ok. locked the drive. ok.

opened up the xbox, took out the old, put in the new. no error messages. i get the original xbox dashboard. it plays xbox games, but doesn't recognize my other discs of course, including hexen.

not quite sure what I can do next. start over maybe. i still have the original drive, and I've backed up both c and e.

i maybe should have ran hexen on it 1st and then tried the xboxhdm?

i did some googling and there was some talk of 'shadow c' etc, which I don't understand.

Anyways, I don't think I'm totally screwed yet.

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Cold boot console with HeXEn disc with old hdd. Backup the C drive - now with shadowC off and re-create the xboxhdm ISO and you should be good to go - you probably need to unlock the new hdd first for xboxhdm to rebuild C and E for the new hdd. Lock new hdd thereafter.

If you prefer, HeXEN itself has hdd upgrade capability through lxhdm. See this thread and read menu option 2.4.1.

#5 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

yes as above..
hexen will by pass shadow c..

i would have recommended you 1st re soft modded with hexen. whic would have guaranteed a correct eeprom. and updated ms dash and good solid soft mod.
then re boot with hexen to by pass shaddow C
and ftp the c drive to your pc when your xbox was running hexen "light on xbox should be red to indecate shaddow C is bypassed"

Personally i dont like lxhdm or chimp. but they are there for you to use if you cant use xboxhdm.. however it sounds like xbox hdm worked perfectly for you, but you copied the shadow c files because you did not ftp from inside hexen.

you could always just soft mod now using a game save exploit if you have the required game. and if the exploit files from a previous soft mod are still on there you could even start the game load up the save and then select boot from recovery disk. and then use hexen to reinstall the soft mod.

shaddow c is quite easy to understand once explained..

so il do that.

on a soft modded xbox you have edited files on the C drive. these are just edited versions of MS own files. Without the edited parts "exploits" the softmod wont work..

Some games can update the MS files as they released new dashboard(s) now if these games edited the files on your c drive then the soft mod would stop working..
thats where Shaddow C comes in to play.

Shaddow C is basically an Image of an unmodifeid C drive, its set up in such a way that once the soft modded files have been loaded and the exploit is running so you can do all you do with a modified console. the xbox sees the shaddow C Image as the actual C drive.
If a game then decided to update C drive files. all it can update is files on the shaddow C image, and the softmod files stay intact.

As you found out a side affect of this is that with the shaddow C enabled any attempt to FTP files from the C drive will result in unmodified files being transferd to your pc.
thats where hexen comes in to play.
if you cold boot hexen "start the xbox with hexen in the dvd drive" it will bypass shaddow C giving you access to the real C drive and the modified files..
These files are the ones you need to transfer to your pc.

I hope that explains shaddow c in a manner that is easy to understand.

There are also other ways to dissable shaddow C. and some older software installers may hanbdle the shaddow C diferently. but provided you usied Ndure 1.1.1 softmod. then the easiest way to bypass shaddow C is with hexen. and hexen is set up so you can ftp directly from inside hexen.

Edited by shambles1980, 20 September 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#6 drtongue96

drtongue96

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

Thanks, guys! I'm at work at the moment, but I'll get back home in a few hours and give it a try. I should mention that my linux.iso was like 4gigs, which just fit on at dvd-r. It's because of a few things. The previous owner had junk on there (the e drive) like coinops2 and roms (I've backed these up for later) and then all this apple trailer stuff and who knows what else. seems kind of large. would like to start fresh, I can install all the latest/greatest emus and all that once I get the new 320gb drive working, so....

should i:

a) take out new drive
cool.gif put in old drive
c) book hexen cold (look for red light)
d) ftp into xbox and copy down c drive for use in xboxhdm
e) make 2nd attempt burn with xboxhdm as before, except unlock it 1st
f) put large drive back into xbox
g) test to see if it worked, now if it does.....

and i want a cleaner install, can i put hexen back in and get it to redo some stuff, like (this is going from a youtube video i watched): "Softmod Part 2 - Using The HeXEn Disc" (have no access to heXEn and xbox here at work):

2. Softmod XBox Tools
2.2 Krayzie One-Click
2.2.7 SC Gamesave (not sure which one to pick, i do have Splinter Cell Platinum though)

Basic Install, UnleashX dash
(remove HeXEn disc and reboot)
shadowc section
reboot again, UnleashX should boot
put hexen disc back in and install xbmc on e
use dash tools to switch to default dash xbmc on e
reboot (knowing i can update xbmc to newer version later)

i will need xbpartioner to format f and g as I have a 320gb?

Let me know if this sounds about right. Is there way I can get rid of all the crapola that will be left on E?

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

almost..

so try it like this.

a) take out new drive
cool.gif put in old drive
c) book hexen cold (look for red light)
d) ftp into xbox and copy down c drive for use in xboxhdm
e) make 2nd attempt burn with xboxhdm as before, except unlock it 1st
f) put large drive back into xbox
g) test to see if it worked,..

boot up with hexen, use xbpartitioner to partition your hard disk to the seize you want.
softmod one click krazies ndure Sc exploit.
follow instructions.
reboot and enable shaddow c.
boot with hexen. install xbmc to e or f.
Download latest XBMC
remove hexen and boot to your xbox.
FTP the new latest xbmc to your xbox replacing the XBMC on E or F "depending where you installed too"
TEST xbmc works.
Turn off xbox, and boot with hexen.
Tell hexen to set xbmc as default dash.
Remember to test xbmc before you set it as your dash. "i dont recomend using xbmc as a dash, but if you are going to update it. then test then install as dash"

Edited by shambles1980, 21 September 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#8 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Also, since we don't know exactly how your Xbox was softmodded, you might want to choose option 2.3 to modify/repair your softmod. This will ensure that you're using the latest and greatest krayzie's ndure 1.1.1 softmod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users