AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

I'm considering buying a broken Xbox and from the description (flashing red light and no audio/video), it looks like the EEPROM is corrupt. I found this guide using Cromwell to fix the EEPROM, but since I don't already have a backup of the original EEPROM, I'll need to flash a donor EEPROM. How exactly does this affect the hard drive, which is obviously (at least initially) locked to the old EEPROM? Does updating the Xbox with the donor EEPROM also automatically lock the hard drive to the donor EEPROM? Or will the old hard drive basically be dead to me with no way to unlock it?

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

To get the system booting you can use hardware to flash the eeprom, or I would recommend using a modchip with Flashbios 3.03 Unauthorized - it's somewhere on xbins - you can just pick a temporary eeprom from the menu.

The eeprom data is not vital now that there is no xbox live - that is, you could put anything on there that works and doesn't have a MAC address that conflicts on your home network.

I believe you could create such an eeprom with "Live Info Beta 3" on windows and flash it with Configmagic on xbox.

Depending on the hard drive you may be able to unlock it, but it may be best to just install a new one.

Edited by Movax, 27 September 2012 - 05:12 AM.

#3 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the tip about FlashBios 3.03 Unauthorized. I might use that instead. Regarding the lock status of the hard drive, am I correct in assuming that the hard drive would remain locked to the old EEPROM? And if so, what options would I have to unlock it? I saw this guide and wasn't sure what other options there might be. Keep in mind that this hard drive is completely stock so TEAMASSEMBLY and XBOXSCENE won't work.

#4 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

shambles1980 has a thread on this: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=741438. This covers all 3 known stock hdds.

The old hdd will remain locked to the old eeprom.

#5 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

Great, thanks for the link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users