• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theboss235

theboss235

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I Read that the 360 Phat will fit almost any 60mm computer fan in the back. I have no problem using bolts/screws or what to hold them in. I just want my xbox to be quieter. I have already replaced the thermal paste with AS 5 but the fans make a horrible high pitched whine, even when spinning slowly.

However Im just wondering about wiring them up. I know the fans use DC current so polarity should matter.

Also if anyone knows what the easiest method is to attach the fans to the Mobo of the xbox. I just figured cutting the old cable off of the original fans so I still had the mobo connection.
So I could attach the original cable to the new fans via solder or whatnot.

Thanks.

#2 DragonSlayer1987

DragonSlayer1987

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

Depends on if you want manual control of fan speed or let the system control. The three pin fan plug on the Xbox is different than with pc so you will have to rewire fans but can use same plug. Cut blue wire from pc fans and wire both grounds to center on 3 pin xbox connector, wire 1 fan + left and the other + right. Been a while since I worked on PC fan connect for Xbox but I think that's right. Just get fans that have great air flow, quiet isn't always better.

#3 theboss235

theboss235

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

I took apart my xbox yesterday to look at the what type of fans it uses. The system should have control of the fan speed setting them higher when hot and slower when cool.

It looks like the connector to the motherboard on the xbox is a 4 pin connection in a square configuration, one pin at each corner, HOWEVER each fan only gets 2 of the pins.

This would mean that as long as I use any 2 pin 60mm computer fan the only thing I have to worry about getting right is the polarity. Obviously I want the fans to exhaust the air not blow inwards.

This also means that the xbox just uses voltages to adjust fan speed rather than the 3 pin type or the 4 pin type. This should also mean that the xbox is unaware of the current RPM of the fans, so its safe to assume that I should get fans that move an equivalent or greater amount of air to avoid the same issue of having the fans run on high all the time.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a replacement fan that has worked for them?

Edited by theboss235, 30 September 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#4 DragonSlayer1987

DragonSlayer1987

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Easiest 12v low db high airflow fans, pull 12v from under power plug. If you want to use the fan header then just wire each wire seperate. The older style system had a 4 pin header just cut the plug from old fan plug will have 2+ and 2- lines. Use 1 for each fan installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users