Slimbox Modding Help :)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 greyham_666

greyham_666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Xbox's (duh) :P<br />Retro Consoles<br />Gaming<br />Music<br />General Hacking<br />Retro-fitting Old Hardware<br /><br />
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

hey, im lokking to do a slim box mod (1.6, alladin modchip, no-dvd bios), and am ok with the easy bits ie. cutting the case and sheilding. smile.gif

IPB Image

i have a few questions pertaining to hardware mods:

Looking to place the existing heatsinks with the two pictured, pulled em off a couple of old graphics cards i had lying round, so i figured they'd do the job. any reasons why i shouldn't? otherwise i was just gonna grab some vantec iceberq's.

also looking to hack to gether a power only usb port from the dvd power source in order to run a usb powered wirless bridge.

misc: will be replacing the rear fan with a 50mm one i pulled out of a old 360 external fan cooler

http://t3.gstatic.co...c-CUTbMd6QdnpQ-

got myself an official Component breakout cable with SPDIF and L/R audio, as this will primarilly be a media (XBMC) box that siits in the front room.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thx in advance smile.gif

#2 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Those fan/heatsink combo's should work just fine, just make sure you do a good job on the thermal paste and find a good way to secure them to the CPU/GPU. I've only dont that few times and i used hot glue to keep them intact and they're wieght did the rest.

For the rear fan try and use a 60x20mm or 60x25 mm fan to keep it cool. You will need as much air flow as possible in your situation, i think 50mm might be little too small and remember those fans get louder the smaller they get.

If your wanting USB power to power that wireless bridge just tap off of port 3 or 4 since this will be a media machine you wont need those ports anyways and it will be easy to do. Hope this helps alittle bit for you.

Nex

#3 MrMajst3r

MrMajst3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

You don't need to change heatsinks if you want to make "standard" slim smile.gif

Personally I've mounted 80mm fan in jewel's place, and it works great.

Photos here: https://www.dropbox....hotos/Xbox Slim

I've also soldered component output which isn't on photos.

#4 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&amp;Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(MrMajst3r @ Oct 12 2012, 02:13 PM) View Post

You don't need to change heatsinks if you want to make "standard" slim smile.gif

Personally I've mounted 80mm fan in jewel's place, and it works great.

Photos here: https://www.dropbox....hotos/Xbox Slim

I've also soldered component output which isn't on photos.

MrMajst3r: The link you posted is useless because it tells Unregistered Users to Register first before we are allowed to see your photos.

Greham: Overall, Vantec Iceberg 4 Pros is top of the line when it comes to Xbox Modding. They've been around for years on Xbox-Scene.

Edited by Infamous Ob, 12 October 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#5 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

looks like a 1.6 xbox.
so you will be using m8+ i presume..

you will need to edit the m8+ bios for it to work without a dvd player. or it will hang at the logo screen.

just to confirm 80Mm fan jewel replacment is fine and works..

here is one i made earlier "well ages ago lol"

IPB Image

IPB Image

it also had the stock xbox fan still installed. just a bit of trimming needed mostly on the upper case.
and excuse the gaps i had not bothered to screw it all together then.

you may notice the fan has diferent colour led's Was not my intention but it seemd to work out ok. I thought i bought one with just one colour, but it phazed through 3 diferent colours on each led.

Edited by shambles1980, 13 October 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#6 MrMajst3r

MrMajst3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Sorry, I've copied wrong link.

Here are proper: https://www.dropbox....h4j1/Men3CMqT36

#7 greyham_666

greyham_666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Xbox's (duh) :P<br />Retro Consoles<br />Gaming<br />Music<br />General Hacking<br />Retro-fitting Old Hardware<br /><br />

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

wow, thx every body.

@Nextelhalo

im glad the heatsinks are looking good, cuz its a struggle to get iceberq's to australia these days. i know i dont need to modify the heatsinks, but considering i plan on leaving this running for extended periods of time, i though some more extensive cooling was required.

i'll look round for some bigger fans then, as i wouldn't want loud fans to detract from overall use.

i've looked at tapping off controller ports, but i was under the assumption this would render them unable to function as controller ports. i'd like to retain as much original functionality as possible, incase i decide to use it for some relatively old school gaming tongue.gif as far as i understand it, if i were to pull power from the dvd cord for a power only usb port, all i'd have to do is splice a 5v line and a ground live from the cord?

@Infamous Ob

yea, i gathered from the numerous slim builds ive been looking at for directions and idea's that icebergs are pretty much the best ones out there, but as they're an old product now, and i live in australia, theyre quite difficult to find :/

@ MrMajst3r

thx for the photo's, and i like the component ports you've added, very nice smile.gif

@ shambles1980

and yes its a 1.6 box. ive already modded the m8 + with lb64 (or whatever that thing is tongue.gif) bios to skip the Dvd check on boot.

again, thx every one, great to see support for the old girl, even after all these years smile.gif

#8 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Of all the slims i've done i have only ever just used a 60 x 25mm fan in place of the original and never had any heat issues. For a bios just use an iND5003 as it has the dvd check disabled as standard and by adding a txt file you can quickly remove the startup animation and annoying audio .

#9 greyham_666

greyham_666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

@hangover

thx for the advice on fan sizing, and as for the bios, i would if i hadn't already edited my existing M8 Plus BIOS to skip the dvd check on boot. how ever i may revisit to edit out the startup animations and sounds as i seem to remember something like this in my bios editor. a 'silent' boot would make it allot more appealing to use

#10 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(greyham_666 @ Oct 15 2012, 11:39 PM) View Post

@hangover

thx for the advice on fan sizing, and as for the bios, i would if i hadn't already edited my existing M8 Plus BIOS to skip the dvd check on boot. how ever i may revisit to edit out the startup animations and sounds as i seem to remember something like this in my bios editor. a 'silent' boot would make it allot more appealing to use

The silent boot with ind splash screen is way better than the animation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users