• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Yeah, that is what I am concerned about.
How would I save it? If I plugged in a USB fflash drive during the setup, would it stay as fat32?

Edited by wkw427, 11 October 2012 - 02:54 AM.

#17 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

The installer saves the EEPROM backup to the E:\ drive but I forgot the exact path (it's been a long time since I used a softmod for anything more than flashing the TSOP). I think it's something like E:\backups\. While the installer is loaded (not necessarily doing anything, just loaded), then you can FTP into the Xbox (it will show the IP address in the corner) and then browse to wherever the EEPROM backup is located (it should be named something like eeprom.bin or eeprom_backup.bin) and then just copy that file onto your computer (and maybe anything else in the backup folder). After that, just continue with the installer and let it install the softmod for you.

#18 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Ah, I see. Alright.
Still, would have to wait until morning, as the room I have the xbox hooked up in has no network drops, and I really don't want to muck about bridging a connection through my wireless adapter at usb1 speeds.

Can you recommend any free ftp applications? The one that I found to connect to xbins.. didn't really seem to allow me to download anything, and it was a 30 day trial.

#19 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

Was the one you used for xbins called auto_xbins_2008? If so, then it shouldn't have a trial expiration date but it's only good for use with xbins. auto xbins is actually based off of FileZilla, which is a free ftp client.

In regards to your networking situation, I believe that the installer can only receive an IP via DHCP so I'm not sure how that works into your bridging. It would also be possible to backup the EEPROM by hotswapping again and browsing to where the EEPROM is saved.

#20 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

No, I think I used smart ftp. I'll look into filezilla later.
Additionally, that was indeed why I did not want to look into bridging. It would just be horribly slow.. The only crossover I have is very poor.. But, my router/wap does have dhcp so I will be good to go when I hook it up in my media room.

#21 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

When I softmod, here are the steps I take. This is only if you are putting in a larger hard drive.

Run Krazie's and backup eeprom.
FTP Eeprom.bin to the PC.
FTP C drive to PC. In your case you can FTP E too, so you will have the game save. I have a mem card on the controller, so I don't have your issues.
Use Xboxhdm and stock C (your E drive) and Eeprom.bin to build new hard drive.
Put new HD in the Xbox and run installer again. This time, do full softmod install.

This is the safest method, as you keep your stock hard drive. If anything happens you can put it back in.

With the Eeprom.bin file, you can build a new hard drive and lock it to that Xbox. So keep a copy of it in a safe place. E-mail it to yourself if you have a cloud e-mail address like gmail.

Good luck, and if you can find a MS mem card, I would buy it and copy the game save from your modded Xbox to it. Makes life a lot easier.

#22 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Backed up the eprom. Going to burn it to a disk as well as all the other files and programs I used (as well as xboxhdm).
Downloaded something called c-xbox tools to extract an iso.. But it didn't seem to be able to ftp to the xbox, so i'm doing the transfer with filezilla.

Sorry if I'm derailing the topic.. But just a question.
If I were to upgrade the hard drive, it'd be as simple as booting into xboxhdm (with the new drive attached), and lock it with the eprom I got, right? I'm sure there are some guides out there. I just want to get a very vague idea. Not planning on upgrading the drive unless it is too small to hold two of the games I need to play.

#23 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

Alright. Transfered both games to the e/games folder, that show up, but when I go to launch, it just stays at a black screen :'(
One of the two is from an extracted iso, the other was never in an iso. Any ideas?

#24 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Common sense troubleshooting question: Do the two games you're trying to play run from their original discs? Or do those produce a black screen, too?

If not, you may be overthinking this and just need to rip those originals to the hard drive using an appropriate (Xbox) tool.

#25 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

I got everything working, except the one. Anyway

Trying to put a third game on there. But for some reason, I am running out of space. evox is crashing when I get to around ~400mb free on E.
Would it work, and be fine if I store games else where on the drive, instead of E? X, Y, and Z are all 700mb each.. would it be fine if I FTP'd the game data to them? Or would my only option now be to upgrade to a bigger drive.

#26 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

You can't use the X/Y/Z partitions because those are used for system caching and will be wiped clean by the system as necessary. If you have a Seagate 10GB hard drive in your system, then you can use XBPartitioner to format the unused 2GB of space into an F:\ drive (a stock Xbox only uses 8GB regardless of whether the stock hard drive is a Seagate 10GB or Western Digital 8GB drive). Otherwise, your only other option is to upgrade your hard drive.

#27 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

I see. I have a seagate one... Though I'd rather use either a 20 or a 40gb ide drive I have laying around.
Thanks

#28 wkw427

wkw427

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Yep, the reason it didn't work is because I was out of space. Time to upgrade ^.^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users