• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PercivalPussyPopper

PercivalPussyPopper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

I have a few questions that I'm having a hell of a time finding the answers to. I've read tons of threads on several forums, have been given several different answers, and a lot of the threads that I've read have been filled with jargon and all sorts of methods, so it's been really hard for me to break into the current scene.

Anyways, this seemed like the best place to ask for help. I was recently given a brand new 4GB 360 (one of the ones that's currently sold in stores). All I want to do is play backups; I don't care about going on Live, homebrew, or any of that other bullshit. From what I read here, I'm guessing a custom firmware is the best option for me? And that's also known as "flashing"?

Are the current systems even able to be exploited? I wanted to ask before I opened mine up to find out what drive I have, because several people have told me that at this time it's impossible to play backups on the newest systems.

If I use a custom firmware, will I be able to play ANY game (all retail games + XBLA games)?

For the time being, can I pull out my console and play? I'd hate to be unable to flash it because I downloaded an update or something...

THANK YOU!

Edited by PercivalPussyPopper, 11 October 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#2 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

As a matter of clarification...

Exploits refer to JTAG or RGH (reset glitch hack), which are quite different from simply flashing your DVD drive. If possible in your case, flashing the DVD drive's firmware allow you to play (retail) backups. The same does not apply to XBLA games, which run from the hard drive.

JTAG/RGH allows for many more options beyond just playing (retail) backup discs.

#3 PercivalPussyPopper

PercivalPussyPopper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

Thank you very much for the reply. So flashing only allows access to things that happen in the DVD Drive, whereas a JTAG allows access to anything concerning the hard drive?

#4 vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(PercivalPussyPopper @ Oct 11 2012, 12:33 AM) View Post

Thank you very much for the reply. So flashing only allows access to things that happen in the DVD Drive, whereas a JTAG allows access to anything concerning the hard drive?

JTAG/RGH allows access to the whole system....and you can do whatever you want moreless... It can do damn near everything the original xbox did.

#5 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Slims made before August 2011 can be RGH or firmware modded. Only can be RGH if they are on dash 14719 or less and must have liteon drive to be modded, not hitachi.

Slims made after August 2011, have hitachi(rare) or liteon D5S which is in the works of being hacked. They also can be RGH if they have 14719 or less dash. Some really new consoles maybe made after June or July 2012 might have a newer revision motherboard and DVD drive that hasnt been touched or messed with yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users