Photo

12v Fan Mod (360 Slim): Need Information.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 n3r0

n3r0

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Interests:FMX, Drumming
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hello all. I am uncomfortable with the temperatures that my new Slim 360 is running at. I feel like the fan doesn't adjust speeds properly to keep it at a temperature that it needs to be at.

Anyone know of a good How-To article telling how to do a proper 12v fan mod in this system? Like I used to do on the original 360 consoles, I will be soldering to a 12v source, then adding an inline resistor to keep it at a speed that I like.

Any help would be wonderful. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

#2 DragonSlayer1987

DragonSlayer1987

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Slim fan is different from old model 3-pin fan. To 12v slim just cut the blue wire, I think blue. They got a tutorial of sorts on YouTube for this, just search for Xbox slim fan mod.
I have noticed that my slim runs hotter than the old falcon I had but no issues, so don't think the 12v mod is necessary on the slims.

#3 thugsters

thugsters

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

I would def go with a 12v mod on retail slims...I've only sold rgh slims myself so I can adjust that setting in fsd or in the nand itself...

Slims in my opinion are turning out like the xenon boards...Trinity models anyway..

I have an achi ir-6000, and locally I have repaired 23 slims this year and have bought 9 red dot slims myself.
3 of them I couldn't get back going as they probably needed a reball and i just don't have the stencil to reball that chip..

Trinity models suck period, rgh your units and dump them while you can...Grab a corona and pray they turn out to be better models. Or for a safe bet, grab a Jasper and never worry again biggrin.gif

#4 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Slims are not set to increase fans until 72-75C, which is well into the danger zone. Still better than the 2005 Xenon's that let the EDRAM reach 100C before the fan even stepped up.

Fan speed mods are a must for all version 360's and PS3's if you want them to last more than a few years.

My 9V Slim fan mod:

#5 DragonSlayer1987

DragonSlayer1987

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

See I have yet to have this issue, I have fixed a red ringed xenon and falcon but the 3 slim I have owned are fine. I currently use a gears edition and i have had it on all day downloading while at work and it's cool to the touch when I got home that evening. Cooling mods are good under certain circumstances but what a console really needs is a well ventilated area. I keep mine near a air conditioner vent about 4 feet on a table, no clutter and cleaned of dust regularly.
My experience, I have a stock 60gb PS3 first release and it runs cool even after a 10hr. marathon of Resistance. I have never had an issue. Luck maybe?

#6 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Every console I see here is putting out warm air after 5 min. And that's after they've been cleaned and fixed with new thermal paste. The slim I used in the video was running around 72C before I modded the fan. After the 9V it was 42C stable after a while on Xexmenu. Anyone who knows about Xexmenu knows it runs the processor hot just idling, probably hotter than most games will.

I only have an RGH Trinity which I can set the temps in autogg but any console with ofw where I can't even monitor the temps, there's no way I could go without modding the fans. Especially with Microsoft and Sony's track record. All they care about is the thing outlasting any warranty. Cross my fingers and hope it lasts, or do something that will guarantee it will last decades... no brainer.

Edited by relaxxx, 12 October 2012 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users