• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Xbox One will be region-locked
Posted by GaryOPA | May 28 11:44 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

Did you expect otherwise?

A Microsoft representative has confirmed that the upcoming console will continue the 'tradition' of region locking, just as the Xbox and Xbox 360.

Xbox-Scene

Speaking with Digital Trends, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed that the upcoming Xbox One console will be region-locked.

And, while this isn't a surprising move, it's still nice to get some kind of "official" confirmation from MS:

“Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale,” A rep from Microsoft confirmed to Digital Trends.

“We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One.”

So, there you have it. We still don't know if the PlayStation 4 will follow suit but, as you may know, the PS3 and the PS Vita are not region-locked. Let's hope Sony shares some info about this matter soon too...

News-Source: Xbox One to be region-locked (via) Gematsu

#2 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

hopefully "continuing the tradition" means that it will operate the same way as the x360, meaning that the region lock is left up to the publisher as opposed to being forced on all games. (although i suppose for me personally, it is somewhat of a moot point as the games outside of my region that i care about are the japanese exclusives, which are always region locked)

also worth mentioning, technically the ps3 DOES actually support region locking, although only 1 game uses it, persona 4 arena

http://kotaku.com/59...locked-ps3-game

#3 amp2006

amp2006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:nothing .
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

what is next from Microsoft

#4 DaShiZNiT

DaShiZNiT

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

And they wonder why the 360 was never as popular in Japan.

#5 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(DaShiZNiT @ May 28 2013, 07:48 PM) View Post

And they wonder why the 360 was never as popular in Japan.

does region lock really matter in japan? there are tons of japanese games which never leave the island, but i can't think of any western games that don't get released in all regions. (and with the 360, most western games were region free, almost all japanese games were region locked)

region locking hurts those in the west who want to play japanese games much more than those in japan who want to play non-japanese games.

Edited by Reaper527, 29 May 2013 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users