• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity
Posted by GaryOPA | June 6 21:35 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

Microsoft comes clean, published their ToS for XB1

The whole truth, and nothing but the truth, regarding the DRM XBONE, and Where, What, When, Why by Microsoft themselves.

Official site goes Live with full information on your rights and non-rights!

Xbox-Scene

Well Microsoft has their hands full, without waiting any longer, they decided to put to bed all the DRM rumors, and published your license rights and the connectivity needs for their new next-gen Xbox One console, and its basically just like the rumors, except for one more thing added, you can trade games to your friends ONCE (they can't re-trade again) if you been nice Live buddies for 30 days or more!

Visit one of the two news links below, for the 3 pages of 'legal fine print' with a nice PR spin to it, so the DRM pill is easier to take!

News-Source #1: Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity (via) 360Crunch

News-Source #2: Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features (via) Xbox News

#2 BoomDivX

BoomDivX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

sad, looks like I won't be buying this one...

#3 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

That info graphic is incorrect. Lending and trading is supported, though it is limited. Renting is being worked one. I'm sure they're going to find a solution for that.

#4 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

While I understand some of the backlash against the new xbox, this site has been unfairly harsh. This infographic "straight from Microsoft" is clearly written by someone bashing the box, and is actually quite misleading. I think we're going to have to wait until the console is released and things settle down before we really know. Here's a more fair assessment of the news just released by Microsoft: http://www.engadget....-always-online/

However, if you consider this more of a dedicated gaming PC instead of a console, this drm thing is a bit easier to swallow. I'm not a huge fan of having to connect online to play single player games, but I've put up with it for years with steam due to the HUGE benefits. Being able to play my game on any PC, not having to put in a disc to play, organization, sale prices...all these things have sold me on Steam's methods. I think these same benefits could really become the selling point of the next xbox.

I'll admit, I only really got into the first xbox when I popped in a modchip and was able to load my games to the hard drive and play without constantly looking for my discs. My 360 collected dust until that same functionality was brought about by the hackers. This new xbox has this functionality from the start (albeit with the caveat that ms will be keeping you honest). I think it's truly awesome to see that they've been looking at ways of making the user experience more like a PC. Now, just let us connect a kb/mouse and remap the controls, and I'll really be happy.

-Duck!

#5 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Genius

• Admin
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Jun 6 2013, 10:00 PM) View Post

That info graphic is incorrect. Lending and trading is supported, though it is limited. Renting is being worked one. I'm sure they're going to find a solution for that.

Yet a bit incorrect, but still looking at the following, it is VERY LIMITED:

'Sharing' is only supported between up to 10 family members.

'Lending' or 'Renting' no details yet on that, might never be supported!

'Trading' is either at an official store, or to friend you know for 30 days or more.

'No resale fee' will be charged by Microsoft.

Also should be noted, that all this above applies only to MICROSOFT STUDIOS games.

Third-Party publishers, have the right to opt-in or out of all those 3 points 'sharing', 'trading' 'no resale fee'.

So that means if it is not an exclusive Microsoft game, like HALO, and you buying an EA or UBISOFT game,
you better check their 'fine print' and see what 'features' they opt-in or out for on your XB1 rights.

And lastly, Microsoft of course states they can 'change the rules' of the game, anytime they want, so in the future this could get worse, or with lots and lots of luck, better for us.

#6 xmod4u

xmod4u

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

So all these years of selling their product with no fu**ing margins, having to survive on used sales to keep the store open... and now its pretty much f**k you, you can't sell used games!

Yeah, im going to carry new games, making only 6-7$ a pop... sure!

Thank you Microsoft, was fun while it lasted.
Guess ill turn it into a Nintendo Store... lol

edit: also, on a personal note... all these people saying, well its not bad, its like steam... I dont agree to the concept. PC is PC, a video game console is a video game console. If I wanted that style, i would of got a PC. Besides, if it really becomes like a PC, why the hell would i buy a console that cant be upgraded!!! its stupid!

Edited by xmod4u, 07 June 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#7 medievil

medievil

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

as far as I am concerned, Xbox ONE is DOA... I don't buy new games, never have(except for a few new releases)..I've always bought them used through amazon mostly or ebay... their new policy kills those sales so i have no use for the console.. I'll go with PS4 (Who have not announced a system like this and have said they will play used games) or Wii U
Sony will make a killing by simply not following this draconian policy m$ has chosen. Apparently M$ has decided they don't want a successful console this go around

#8 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

They also said you can turn the Kinect off. While you may not be able to disconnect it, who cares if you can turn it off. That statement should be removed from the infographic.

Clearly this was written by someone butthurt on used games issues.

Look, it sucks that this is happening but we knew this day would come and it was inevitably going to happen. Game stores have been getting rich off used game sales and trades while devs and pubs got nothing. Zero, zip, nada.

Also please be advised that if you don't think something similar is going to happen on PS4 then prepare to be surprised. I do not see Sony and MS going in different directions on such an important issue/topic.

#9 xmod4u

xmod4u

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Jun 6 2013, 11:44 PM) View Post

Game stores have been getting rich off used game sales and trades while devs and pubs got nothing. Zero, zip, nada.

Well, it was called making money on a product that was already sold, but ok. I just dont think that it will increase sales that much, not as much as they think anyway.

Besides, how many people/businesses out there make money on used products. I hate to do this, but you don't see Ford wanting a piece of every used car being sold... and it doesn't stop them from making new cars! lol

#10 defhead

defhead

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(garyopa @ Jun 7 2013, 01:37 PM) View Post

Yet a bit incorrect, but still looking at the following, it is VERY LIMITED:

'Sharing' is only supported between up to 10 family members.

'Lending' or 'Renting' no details yet on that, might never be supported!

'Trading' is either at an official store, or to friend you know for 30 days or more.

'No resale fee' will be charged by Microsoft.

Also should be noted, that all this above applies only to MICROSOFT STUDIOS games.

Third-Party publishers, have the right to opt-in or out of all those 3 points 'sharing', 'trading' 'no resale fee'.

So that means if it is not an exclusive Microsoft game, like HALO, and you buying an EA or UBISOFT game,
you better check their 'fine print' and see what 'features' they opt-in or out for on your XB1 rights.

And lastly, Microsoft of course states they can 'change the rules' of the game, anytime they want, so in the future this could get worse, or with lots and lots of luck, better for us.

For me, this is the order of my disappointed.

1) Connected within 24 Hours - I travel a lot without always having internet access so why should i have to buy hotel internet access just to play my already paid for game.

2) DRM - ewww
3) Kinect 2 - Because im still under the impression this always needs to be plugged in, so id have to lug this
thing round in my bag with me. Could be wrong on this.

#11 Psyfer9983

Psyfer9983

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

No thank you MS. I will not be getting this. Guess its a PS4 then. Sad, I've been a XBOX gamer since day 1 of the original XBOX.

MS needs to learn that not everybody has internet or can't get internet due to location. I have a friend who lives out in the sticks who can't get anything, not even a cell signal. He has looked into satellite internet but its high and has a bandwidth limit like most if not all ISP do. So I guess he won't be getting the new XBOX. And have a kinect censer hooked up at all times is just ridiculous. Have you read the terms and conditions on that? Hello, privacy invasion alert.

#12 hyfall381

hyfall381

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Jun 7 2013, 04:44 AM) View Post

Also please be advised that if you don't think something similar is going to happen on PS4 then prepare to be surprised. I do not see Sony and MS going in different directions on such an important issue/topic.

If MS goes in this direction, the smartest thing Sony could do is go in a completely DIFFERENT direction. If MS is really setting all these rules, many people including myself will be going with Sony.

#13 Definitely Wapner

Definitely Wapner

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Probably going to see a lot lower numbers on games on their launch day. If game prices stay at $60 a pop, there will be no more record breaking launches. Ill wait for games to drop to the $30-$40 range 6 months after release.

#14 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

We'll see what happens... obviously they are experimenting by putting a stake in the ground.

This can actually turn out as a good thing in the long run... they are always whining that they lose sales on NEW games because everyone is buying them used.

If this no longer becomes a viable option and new games sales do not increase.. at least it will be proof that modchips and user games don't hurt that much. People like myself that NEVER buy new are just not going to buy at all.

I have all the current gen systems modded, you know when the last time I turned them on? Probably 3 years ago.

Edited by Havok, 07 June 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#15 delawaare

delawaare

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

XBOX One is also dead for me.. If I cant buy and sell my used games as I want to do, then I dont need that Console.
I also travel a lot to different countrys and on some stops I make there is no internet connection availible.
And you must connect every 24h with internet to play the offline games ?
Is this a joke ?

BILLI BOY take your xbox one and put it there where the sun never shines !

maybe most of the other people think also that way, we better use only our PC in the future.

Edited by delawaare, 07 June 2013 - 04:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users