• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

RUMOR: Microsoft Making Positive Reddit Comments
Posted by GaryOPA | June 8 23:57 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

And voting down ones that are not 'positive' towards their new XB1

Just like the rumors of EA playing games with sites after SimCity launch, now a Reddit poster claims she has seen Microsoft employees doing massive 'reputation management' on social sites

Xbox-Scene

A recent poster on Reddit by name of 'mistysilver' has created its own shitstorm of comments so much so that Reddit had to step in and remove her post, as she claimed that Microsoft employees are doing massive downvoting of negative XB1 comments, and voting up positive ones and making their own positive comments. -- These same rumors happen before with EA and their DRM-Locked SimCity!

While at Microsoft for a meeting, Misty Silver saw and overheard some employees on Reddit. She looked at one of the employee's screens:

"I noticed he was mass-downvoting a ton of posts and comments, and he kept switching to other tabs to make posts and comments of his own. I couldn't make out exactly what he was posting, but I presumed he was doing RM (reputation management) and asked my boss about it later. According to my boss, MS have[sic] just brought in a huge sweep of SMM managers to handle reputation management for the Xbox One," Silver reported.

"Reputation management" is the term social media marketers use to "pose as happy customers" on social media sites. They upvote/downvote and make comments.

In the last year or so, Reddit has become a prime target for reputation management, Misty Silver says.

BusinessInsider contacted Microsoft regarding this rumor and of course M$ claims they have no knowledge of it happening, but since this 'mistysilver' appeared Reddit ended up with their own shitstorm and as such had to remove her post and provided this update regarding the rumors:

Microsoft told us, "There is no coordinated or sanctioned effort by Microsoft employees, or anyone paid by Microsoft, to unduly influence Reddit or other online forums."

Shortly after, the content of Misty Silver's post was removed, but the comment string on the post is still there (and it's hilarious).

We reached out to the moderators and asked why it was taken down. Redditor airmandan, the moderator from the /r/gaming subreddit, told us:

"We have not been contacted by anyone at Microsoft. The post that was removed consisted entirely of speculation and unfounded allegations. There is no rule against posting such in /r/gaming. However, the result of the post has been a completely out-of-control freight train of people posting personal information (in violation of Reddit rule 3) and engaging in vote manipulation (in violation of Reddit rule 2). If our users need to have a session of two-minutes'-hate, they will have to do it in a way that doesn't violate two of reddit's five only rules at the same time."

News-Source: RUMOR: Microsoft Making Positive Reddit Comments (via) 360Crunch

#2 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I Googled " I saw microsoft employees monitoring this subreddit "

Funny thread.

#3 Hoppy

Hoppy

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Looks like they tried here as well, but gave up rather quickly.

#4 DMAddict

DMAddict

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

One more reason to take everything you read with a grain of salt. dry.gif

#5 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

just a heads up incase anyone hasn't heard, the mods in /r/gaming investigated (actually contacting the advertising agency in question) and deemed the claims to be completely untrue.

http://www.reddit.co...of_voterigging/

#6 medievil

medievil

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jun 13 2013, 10:55 PM) View Post

just a heads up incase anyone hasn't heard, the mods in /r/gaming investigated (actually contacting the advertising agency in question) and deemed the claims to be completely untrue.

http://www.reddit.co...of_voterigging/

doesn't prove anything.. NDA's and potential $$'s will seal mouths

#7 scottmuller28

scottmuller28

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Garryopa what you think about the prism project and xbox one. What a fuck- up. We need some news on Xbox- scene.

#8 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(scottmuller28 @ Jun 15 2013, 09:07 AM) View Post

We need some news on Xbox- scene.

that is being worked on. lets just say "technical difficulties" for now.

#9 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

@Reaper527: I guess we have been hearing that for some time now. Hope it gets fixed because I used to visit XB a lot more than now.

#10 iwanttheagrocrag

iwanttheagrocrag

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:SMC hacking, TSOP, (Offline) game modification, Case modification, Bacon, America, Monster trucks
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

This site is basically nonexistent anymore. Really this site took a big crap back when they started banning discussion on halo 2 modding. Its gone downhill since then. I'm actually surprised this site is still around. I'm almost at ten years on here.

#11 n3r0

n3r0

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Interests:FMX, Drumming

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Me too, I think November is my 10 year anniversary. Before E3, I was planning on getting an Xbox One and helping to bring back this site, but after E3, I plan on boycotting all Xbox products in the future. Not only boycotting, but buying all Sony Playstation products from now on.

#12 themashedavenger

themashedavenger

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

how hard is it to put a post on the front page letting ppl know whats happening with this site?
or are you all to proud to admit ur having problems....

#13 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Apparently really hard. What gets me is that the news started flowing again and now its back to nothing.

Edited by tomgreen99200, 19 June 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#14 garyopa

garyopa

X-S Genius

• Admin
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Embedded Hardware and Firmware
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(themashedavenger @ Jun 19 2013, 04:08 AM) View Post

how hard is it to put a post on the front page letting ppl know whats happening with this site?
or are you all to proud to admit ur having problems....

Well the problem is the whole front-end that allows posts to be make on the front-end, has done a 404..

Working on the problem, trouble is I just a crippled admin, I don't have full server control power.

If you looking for new news, check here:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=747023

#15 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks garyopa.

On side note. Holy shit, is that story about MS reversing its policy legit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users