• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 crenshaw

crenshaw

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 03:52 AM

My dad is a bitch and will not let me play xbox on our big screen because he says little lines show up on the TV and go away within a couple of days. He is full of crap all the time and I want to make sure that the xbox does not screw around with picture color and stuff like that... I am going to PRINT THE RESPONSES AND READ THEM TO HIM!!!! HELP ME OUT!!!! grr.gif

#2 erexx

erexx

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Interests:eating electrons
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 July 2003 - 04:01 AM

ummm. this maybe true with projection TV's.
Digital HDTV's should not be a problem unless its real cheap model....
Xbox was designed to output HD resolution.

Call MS and see what they say....

I would like to know cause I plan on buying one soon and if your dad says he sees bad stuff happening I dont want to buy that model.... do you see bad stuff?

What model/brand HDTV do you have?

#3 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 July 2003 - 04:07 AM

I am going to PRINT THE RESPONSES AND READ THEM TO HIM!!!! HELP ME OUT!!!! 

Will your dad like the bitch part? laugh.gif

#4 92235

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 04:51 AM

Is your TV rear or front projection? If it is consult your manual. It says it can burn in the image if the image doesn't change color. So if you play halo see if you can make the HUD simi-invisible. And don't leave the game on pause whatever you do

#5 Mast3r Ch13f

Mast3r Ch13f

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 09:03 AM

If it's an HDTV your Xbox should be able to run fine on it without any damage to the TV.

As long as you don't leave your game on pause for an insane length of time, with the TV on (which can be damaging to any type of TV) everything will be fine.

I remember back in the dark ages, some TVs (mainly projection), explicitly said in the manual "don't use videogame systems" on them.

If your pops is still paranoid and refuses to get out of the dark ages, call the manufacturer's toll free number (located in the manual) and ask them.

#6 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 11:40 AM

http://www.hometheat...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The link above is the the Home Theater Spot - specifically a conversation on Home Theater gaming and burn in on HDTV RPTVs. The jist is that you need to calibrate your television and make sure the brightness and contrast are turned down sufficiently from the factory settings. You can also search the site for more burn-in stuff. Tons there and these people are experts so your dad is much more likely to believe them than a bunch of xbox players.

A certified technician is best (you will pay a few hundred but there has never been anyone who has paid who has not been amazed at how much better their HDTV looks). A cheaper option is an Avia Essentials calibration dvd. Here's one I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=32860

In short - RPTVs don't have the lifespan of a tube, they are more suseptible to burn in however by avoiding the display of static images (i.e. Halo life bars) for long periods (just mix up your games a bit and make sure you watch regular tv and movies) and having your brightness and contrast turned down from factory default settings (sometimes called torch mode to make it look bright and nice in a super light environment like Best Buy) you should be fine.

Good luck and maybe instead of being pissy with your dad do something cool for him. A little schmoozing never hurts.

#7 kray4737

kray4737

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 09:50 PM

dont play games on big screen. I have a sony 57 inch and sometimes if u play a game too long it will burn an image onto the tv since hdtv's use some kind of tubes on the inside.

#8 theraven871

theraven871

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 10:01 PM

There is a High Definition pack out for the XBOX.

Unfortunately I have no more info on it for you.

The Raven

#9 djk80

djk80

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 11:02 PM

dont play games on a profection, plasma or flat screens or a regular tv is just fine, if use projection it will burn images and leave "ghosts" on it over time, thats wut happend to my projection a few years ago

#10 Comcipher

Comcipher

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 01:00 AM

It's the older TV's that you really have to watch out for. On most of the newer tv's that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The part that can burn in is the stuff that stays static, like health, radar, etc. Still, to be sure check with the owners manual.

#11 hiredmuscle

hiredmuscle

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 01:06 AM

playing games on hdtvs are okay as long as you keep the contrast down- they normally come at max to make it look brighter in stores, but turn it down- you'll get used to it and minimizes the risk a lot more.

#12 DaShiZNiT

DaShiZNiT

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 02:18 AM

I have a Panasonic 53' HDTV
I use the Hi Def AV pac from MS.

I have over 300 games PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube.
All use High def packs, but most games arent really. There only 480p
(check out
High Def Game database)

anyways, I play ALL damn day, and so does my family, but like someone said earlier, mix it up!

#13 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 04:16 AM

Once again, I highly recommend you go to the AV Forum I linked above. Some people here know what they are talking about and others have no clue. If you go to www.hometheaterspot.com forums everyone knows a lot about it and you don't get ignorant posters. Mix it up and calibrate your tv correctly with correct contrast and brightness.

You're going to get conflicting info and it will be hard to tell the good from the bad. Go to a forum with specific expertise (i.e. you don't expect everyone to know about xbox mods at a audio video forum or vice versus) if you want to convince your dad cause this thread is shot for a printout with some of the info contained in it.

Edited by ChrisF, 14 July 2003 - 04:16 AM.

#14 simonm2000

simonm2000

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:45 AM

Doesnt look like these posts are gonna work in convincing your dad....
Whats wrong with a regular tv anyways?
If you really want to use it and you dont care bout the tv create another topic and we will post replys pretending that its okay and nothing will happen. tongue.gif

#15 tfd2000

tfd2000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 06:35 PM

we have a 52inch rear projection toshiba tv here which still pretty new. the sound quality (bose system biggrin.gif ) is awesome and the picture quality rivals plasma tvs infact i have been playing video games on it for a while now with complete 5.1 surround sound and it is awesome. my tv is not burnt at all, the newer models tend to take alot more to burn them and ii would not be afraid to play xbox games on them. as for the hud on halo, it is just as much harm as athe little sky sports logo in the top left hand corner on sky sports or the cnn logo in the bottom right. as long as you dont leave your game on pause overnight, it will be fine. take my word for it, my tv isnt screwd yet pop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users