#1 Khirok

Khirok

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 07:10 AM

WARNING
This guide hasn't been updated for a long time. Since its release, XBOXHDM and the UDE, UDE2, or UXE exploits have far surpassed the aformentioned data. Do not expect any support from the Xbox-Scene forum concerning these exploits because they are outdated, buggy, and can total your Xbox.
RiceCake...

Guide to installing Free-X/EvoX on an unmodded Xbox with the Bert is cheating on Ernie Hack with XLinux

This guide will guide you through installing the Bert is cheating on Ernie hack to your Xbox so you can run unsigned code on

it. If a moderator or admin likes this I would love for them to sticky it so it can be shared with everyone to help out.

OK, disclaimer first:
What you do to your Xbox is your business and I simply give you this information for educational purposes only and I will not be held responsible for what you do to your xbox or anything that is a result of this procedure.

This is my first tutorial ever so bear with me.
I am writing this after having a hell of a time getting my xbox to run unsigned code without a mod chip. I couldnt get the HDD Driver or the compiling a new Linux kernel method to work so I decided to try XLinux and it worked flawlessly. I will share my experiences here and just let you know how to do it so you dont have to go through all the headahce I went through for this. With this tutorial you wont need to go buy 007 or Mechassault or go get a Mega-x to copy the files to your xbox.

Ok this is what you will need Xbox-wise prior to starting tutorial:

NOTE: These are what i used. If somebody else gets it to work on something else let me know and I will edit this info.
    XBox v1.0
    Kernel 4034
    Dash version 4920 (Use a Live enabled game to upgrade to this. I used Return to Castle Wolfenstein.)

This is what you will need software-wise:
    Bert is cheating on Ernie.rar (or .zip i have seen both)
    XLinux iso burned onto a cd

NOTE: I am not sure of the policy about posting where to get this software so I wont post it for the time being. If someone will let me know what I can post about it that would be great.

I will edit later how to use the new reloaded hack instead of the original because the reloaded one has yet to be completely tested and I have been told it will not run originals.

OK here goes the procedure:
1. Opening the Xbox and removing the HD
First off make sure that the xbox is unplugged. If not bad things can happen to you or yourself.
You will need a torx 10, 15, and 20 size tools. You can buy them normally in a set together at Lowes, Home Depot, True Value, Fry's, or any other hardware or computer store.

a)
Use the torx 20 tool to open the xbox. There are 6 screws holding it together on the bottom, 4 under the "feet" and two under the stickers. After that just lift the top of the xbox off.

cool.gif
Next we will remove the HD out of the xbox. Underneath the IDE ribbon is a screw, use the torx 10 to remove it. Lift the HD tray up and out, you may have to pull the power cord from the tray first to lift it.

c)
Now we will remove the HD from the tray to make it easier to take out the IDE cable. There are 4 screws on the sides of the tray (2 on each side) remove them. Your HD should be able to be lifted out of the tray now.

d)
Move the HD with the tray out of the xbox and set it to the side with both the power and the IDE cable still connected. We will use this in a second.

If you have problems opening it read this tutorial up until you remove the HD: http://www.xbox-scen...icles/open1.php
It has some great pictures and can help out a lot with this part.

2. Prepping your computer for the Exploiting of the Xbox
a)
You will need to burn the XLinux iso to a cd using nero, roxio, cdrwin, or whatever burning software you use.

cool.gif
Unzip the Bert is Cheating on Ernie hack to a directory on your HD. Preferably to one at the root directory on your first HD, this will make it much easier later on.

Ok now you are ready to hot swap the drives and put the exploit on the xbox.

3. Hot Swapping the Drives
a)
Connect your xbox near your computer. And turn it on.

cool.gif
Let the it boot into the dashboard and let it sit for a good 5 or 10 minutes just to be safe that the HD isnt accessing data.

When this time is up then go to the next step.

c)
Insert the XLinux cd into your CD-ROM drive. And shut down your computer. At this point take everything off of the second IDE cable and just let it dangle outside of your computer and within reach of the xbox HD. Now turn your computer back on.

d)
Before continuing make sure that the CD will boot on your computer. If needed then go into your bios and set the boot order so that the cd will boot.

NOTE: As of right now the XLinux cd doesnt support USB keyboards so make sure that you have a PS/2 one. This was a problem I had and had to borrow a keyboard from my roommate.

e)
Right AFTER the IDE detection of drives occurs hit the Pause/Break key on your keyboard. Its on the upper right above the Page Up key if you dont know where it is.

WARNING: Before attempting this you should back up your Xbox Hard Drive. This can be done using the HDD Driver tool (can be found on megagames.com in their xbox tools section) in Windows. To do that just boot into windows and run it. It will tell you that it found a xbox HD. Hit OK on any error messages that may pop up. Now go to tools and Backup HDD and set a location. Go take a break and come back and it will be backed up. Now just restart 3. and continue on. If you dont do this and fry your xbox dont say that I didnt warn you.

f)
Now is the moment of truth!!!!
Be very careful and unplug the IDE cable from the xbox HD and plug in the one from the computer into it. Dont touch the bottom of the HD where all the chips are or you might fry it. Make sure you pull the cable out fast or else the HD will remain locked.

NOTE: Keep the xbox on from now on until I tell you to turn it off.

g)
Now hit a the space bar or enter on your computer and it will continue to boot up and load the XLinux boot loader. Now continue on.

4. Copying the data

a)
Hit enter at the boot loader screen and it will boot into linux. You should not see any error messages during the boot. If you did then turn off the computer and over the hot swap from 3. above until it works correctly. This means that you didnt do it fast enough or for some reason the HD remained locked.

cool.gif
After the booting is complete then you will be at a prompt. This is the Linux prompt for you Linux newbs out there.

c)
Type the following commands and hit enter after each:

CODE
mkdir /xbox

CODE
mount -t fatx /dev/hdc51 /xbox

NOTE: They are case sensitive so dont put in any caps or anything funky like that.

You shouldnt see an error message. If you do then start over at 3. because the drive is either still locked or something has gone wrong.

d)
Type the following commands and hit enter after each:

CODE
cd /xbox/fonts/

CODE
mv Xbox.xtf Xbox.old

CODE
mv "Xbox Book.xtf" "Xbox Book.old"

Make sure you use the quotes or else it wont work. Once again it is case sensitive. This backs up the files in case you want to revert back later.

e)
Now you will mount your hard drive to access the exploit files. To do so type the following commands:

CODE
mkdir /cdrive

CODE
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /cdrive/

CODE
cd /cdrive

f)
Now you must get into the directory where you unzipped the files to earlier. Type "cd" (without the quotes) then the first 3 or 4 characters of the directory then hit the tab key. It should finish typing it for you. If not type a few more characters in and keep hitting tab after each and it will eventually finish typing it out for you. This is called tab completion for you non-Linux people. Hit enter after this.

g)
Type the following commands in EXACTLY as below:

CODE
mkdir /xbox/Skins
cp -rf * /xbox/
cd /xbox
mv bert.xtf fonts/
mv snuffleupagus.xtf fonts/

This copies the files to your xbox HD and puts them in the right place also.

Well now you have all the stuff on your xbox HD that you need and all you have to do now is clean up.

h)
Type the final commands below:

CODE
umount /xbox

CODE
umount /cdrive

CODE
halt

This will shut down your computer. Turn the xbox off now. Unplug the IDE cable from the xbox HD and put the original back

on.

5. Finishing up
a)
Now just reassemble the xbox.

cool.gif
Turn it back on and if you did everything correctly you now will see the Evolution X instead of the normal dashboard. If this is the case congrats you have completed it and now go enjoy your new system. If not then read below.

c)
If this is not the case that means something is messed up and you will have to restore your xbox HD and start over. Follow Step 3 again except boot into Windows and load up the HDD Driver tool. On the tools menu go to Restore HDD and select the file you backed it up to earlier and hit ok on the next screen and wait. It will restore your drive and you can start again in an attempt.

OK if there are any suggestions or things that need to be changed let me know and I will update this tutorial. I hope I have helped you out with it.

Edited by RiceCake, 27 October 2004 - 10:20 PM.

#2 EnigmusSnake

EnigmusSnake

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 03:58 PM

much props to this tut.. I actually had to balls to try it on a 4034 dash too!! hehe but overall this tut pretty much gave me enough to know what to do especially one who never used linux commands before but at least dos gave me a good direction on which commands do what..

once again thanks man.. now i gotta figure out how to run emus on here.. so far i've gotten xbmp to work.. but not too sure how i'll get dvd movies to play though..

#3 dubey

dubey

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 05:41 PM

What XBox-linux do i use? "Debian", "Gentoox", "Mandrake" or "Xbox Linux Live Plugin System"?

#4 Khirok

Khirok

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:04 PM

XLinux man. Its one specially made for this with all the stuff u need. I am not sure if I can post on here how to get it, but just email me and i can tell u.

#5 EnigmusSnake

EnigmusSnake

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:04 PM

dude.. when it says xlinux.. there's only one xlinux iso out there..

#6 dubey

dubey

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:22 PM

email sent

#7 CYCLOPSE

CYCLOPSE

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 03:38 AM

do u have to solder and flash the tsop to be able to play backups??

#8 Khirok

Khirok

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 07:37 AM

no u dont have to solder the points and flash the tsop. this uses the free-x exploit so its not needed to flash anything, so technically all u have to do when u open ur xbox is to hot swap it.

#9 xilicio

xilicio

X-S Senior Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 July 2003 - 07:51 AM

Thanx for your guide Man!! tongue.gif
I think this one should be a sticky since you explain a lot about Xlinux and everything.
This really helps people that for some reason cant get HDD Driver to run or just get the infinite File Size Error smile.gif

For those who dont know abput Xlinux
Xlinux come in a rar file and is a 20 MB ISO image that can be burned with Discjuggler and booted through the CDROM.
Just make sure you modify your BIOS so it will boot from the CDROM.

So Khirok you used the Ernie and Bert Reloaded Font hack with the Free-X default.xbe?
Please could you tell me how do I setup my PC`s IDE Cable so it will recognize my PC and Xbox HDD at the same time?
I have my main HD in Primary Master..my CDROM as Primary Slave and finally my Xbox HDD as Secondary Master..
Is that setup OK uhh.gif

#10 Khirok

Khirok

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:04 AM

ok let me hit up ur questions one at a time:

So Khirok you used the Ernie and Bert Reloaded Font hack with the Free-X default.xbe?

ok, i am glad u brought this up i made a mistake in my guide and i will fix it. u need to have the original bert is cheating on ernie hack also and included in there is a default.xbe and u will need that one to boot up evo-x.

Please could you tell me how do I setup my PC`s IDE Cable so it will recognize my PC and Xbox HDD at the same time?
I have my main HD in Primary Master..my CDROM as Primary Slave and finally my Xbox HDD as Secondary Master..
Is that setup OK

yes that setup is the exact same one i used when i did mine so it should work correctly. if u have any problems with it post it and i am sure either me or somebody else will get on here and post a reply to u.

Edited by Khirok, 12 July 2003 - 08:04 AM.

#11 Khirok

Khirok

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:13 AM

ok, i modified the guide. i was just informed that the new reloaded patch cannot run original games. so i have made the guide back to its original form so that it does not include the new reloaded hack. i will edit it and put in the information for the reloaded hack once a suitable release is released.

#12 xilicio

xilicio

X-S Senior Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:14 AM

Thanks a lot Khirok! biggrin.gif
I hope this thread becomes Sticky!
I will do the XlinuX procedure tomorrow because I havent got time now.. dry.gif
I`ll report back later so you can Update your guide

Salud man beerchug.gif

#13 eug2k

eug2k

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:21 AM

im too tired to read everything(its 4:15am) but you go through a hellof alot of extra steps to swap the hard drive. i mean all i gotta do is pause as fast as possible(so it happens BEFORE detection) and then switch the ides without taking anything out of the xbox(i already have evox booting so there is no need to wait 5 minutes)
i think this tutorial is great though

Edited by eug2k, 12 July 2003 - 08:22 AM.

#14 xilicio

xilicio

X-S Senior Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:26 AM

Right AFTER the IDE detection of drives occurs hit the Pause/Break key on your keyboard. Its on the upper right above the Page Up key if you dont know where it is.

In the guide it says you got to pause AFTER the IDE Detections...mmm
Does it matter if it Before or After?

#15 Khirok

Khirok

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 08:26 AM

thanks man, yeah i had to pause it after the detection for xlinux though. not sure why this is, but it would not let me do it if it actually detected the drive cause that apparently locked it cause xlinux didnt like it at all.

with this tutoriali am just letting the drive sit there just in case cause i have blown up a few too many pieces of hardware in my day and am just a little over-careful when it comes to a $200 piece of equipment. and i am also assuming that it is just a "virgin" xbox with nothing done to it yet and it boots to the m$ dashboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users